1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Dianoga Redux

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 8 Sep 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The tear down began last night. It took me about two hours. I removed and plugged off the rad as I didn't want it peeing everywhere and so on. Managed to save the coolant too :)

[​IMG]

Then noticed "Houston, we have a problem". Basically the block -

[​IMG]

Has the inlet as the lower hole. This is a problem, because the rig is not designed that way. The inlet is at the top and the outlet the bottom :(

[​IMG]

Because the tubing is so fat it was close to impossible to change it. So instead I flipped the block upside down. But then it looked stupid, as all of the logo etc was upside down. So I popped out the logo plate, flipped it over and then sanded it to a polished finish before gluing it back in.

[​IMG]

I won't be able to use the green 45s I bought. They hit each other, and even the smaller XSPC so I can't even use one. Harumph. Oh well, it is what it is.

2. Vault-Tec

I bought one of these.

[​IMG]

It will go into the inlet of the block (top) and then allow me to use my green 45. However, I didn't just do it for that. I remembered that when you screw in both the inlet and outlet you have to do so with it all intact just using the rotary thread part. It's incredibly difficult and fiddly, so spacing it out a bit will make it a lot easier to do.

I also remembered the board needs an extra 8 pin EPS for the PCIE lanes (bottom right). What a faff that turned out to be. I went and dug out the box of leftovers but realised the PSU does not even have two EPS. So I took a 8 pin PCIE cable, removed one of the grounds (leaving four) and then split one of the 12v (giving me four). I am not worried about it melting, it's got a GTX 950 on the end FFS. I also made a braided extension with other left over parts. Thank god I had enough plugs.

[​IMG]

So that is another pretty savage PITA dealt with.

Oh and I also bought 1m hose..

[​IMG]

I think I may need a piece or two. Nothing majorly long, just enough to alter the position of the CPU outlet.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I wouldn't worry about an upside-down logo when the fittings are bigger than the block.

4. Vault-Tec

I know mate but in person I could see it, if that makes sense. Would have been annoying. Forgot, like a *****, that I could have just put some brushed steel wrap over it. lmao, oops ! bit late now :D

Realised earlier I had no antenna for the WIFI or Bluetooth. This is important, as I can't run it on a network cable at my mum's place.

[​IMG]

£3. That ought to do it :)

I only want the plate and antennas.

RAM should arrive in the A.M. Testing can commence then (and the cooler I bought just to test with too).

5. Vault-Tec

Behold ! the desk top computer lol

[​IMG]

All wired up, press the power button and pray.. Annnnnnd...

[​IMG]

And I can breathe again. This is ruddy annoying, and, you can't disable it in bios either.

[​IMG]

So I need to do some research on that.

[​IMG]

Then I ran into a couple of issues. Firstly I was happily installing all of the drivers and etc and I got to the last one and it said "You can not install this driver on X86 Windows". I was like eh? da fuq. Turns out that Windows assumed I wanted the X86 version on there so I had to bloody start all over again. Annoying. Then, once the mobo drivers were all installed it was acting funny. I rebooted and after the Windows logo it went to a black screen. I booted into safe mode, which was where I noticed a conflicting device in Device Manager. It was the Intel Turbo Boost 3.0 driver. After a lot of head scratching (I initially disabled it and then the rig behaved) I realised that this Xeon does not support ITB 3.0. So all I had to do was uninstall the driver.

Then it was off to Dell, pop in the serial number for the rig, and.

[​IMG]

And then installed all of the drivers again. Which worked. I am typing this from the rig :)

[​IMG]

Kneel at the feet of my "Jar of bolts" cooler.

[​IMG]

Thankfully it has that gummy sticky paste on, so literally stuck to the CPU without any retention at all. The bolts are just so that it stays there. Temps weren't that bad though, with idle at 40c.

[​IMG]

I did some more fiddling and it seems it boosts to 2.4ghz on all ten cores. This yields a score of 1300 dead on in CB but I am not done yet. I started tweaking the bus and managed 102.5 on my first attempt, so I know I can squeeze another 50mhz or so out of it.

Very happy ! I also spent about three hours getting the old glue off of the Dominator sinks, then taking off the labels (much white spirit and scraping needed, god Corsair use good quality glue !) and then putting on my own labels, fitting and etc. The RAM is done but I can't get pics of it now. Looks really nice though :)

6. Vault-Tec

Block extension came.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note, very dirty from me handling it. Will clean it before it goes in.

And here is how the RAM ended up. I deliberated whether I should splatter DOMINATOR all over it, or go for the more plain look. Decided on the latter. One side is met green the other silver. I have put the RAM stickers on there so I know the model etc. Function over form in this case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was still a lot of work. I had to heat them up until they would take your skin off, then scrape at the glue. Luckily after my first burn I found a set of suede gloves I use for riding in, and they withheld the heat OK.

7. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Block cleaned and fitted.

8. Vault-Tec

Teste sack :(

Before.

[​IMG]

Look very closely at the bottom outlet on the WB, and how it connects to the rad using a butt load of chainguns.

What I now have is this.

[​IMG]

I got the inlet in OK. I can't use the green 45 degs I bought. It just ain't happening. I am also faced with a massive issue. Due to the spacing in the G 1/4 holes on the WB I can not put a fitting of any sort in there. What I mean is, a proper fitting that you connect hose to. Due to the honking great hose the fittings are also honking great, and none will connect up next to the 45'. So, what do I do? well you can see the issue, and it is a pretty bloody massive one. Look at this pic.

[​IMG]

Look closah.... Closah... DO YOU SEE? DO YOU SEE? (two movies there..)

[​IMG]

Due to the board being quad channel (and thus two DIMM banks) and the fact the block is lower, and flipped upside down there is a massive space.

Now it was already suggested to me that I just use a hose and bend it. However, that will not work. It will kink. This stuff is a real Alan B.Stard. I also cannot use any fittings.. Or can I?!?!

The solution, after about an hour of feeling like it was never going to work. OK, so I need to basically do this when the new hose arrives.

[​IMG]

IE - extend out the hose from the rad inlet, moving that black acetal 90' block over the CPU. And it will literally go right to line up with the outlet. However, I can't use a 19mm fitting because it won't go in the WB. So what to do? this. Basically.

One 5mm.

[​IMG]

A 10mm, for Justin.

[​IMG]

And then I ordered four of these.

[​IMG]

Rotaries. I measured the spacing and it is basically smack on 30mm. So I am going to have to use those fittings to make a straight, solid pipe coming out of the block into the 90 deg box.

9. Vault-Tec

OK, finally some progress.

The hose arrived yesterday. Late last night (I kinda got caught up with Fallout 4 for about seven hours yesterday) I decided to fit in the run off of the rad that will connect up to the outlet of the CPU block. I used the same technique I used before, heating up the tube to make it go back to being straight. After I found out that the rad was still half full of coolant (you gotta laugh when it's pissing down your sleeves and up your arms) I emptied it properly giving it a good ********.

[​IMG]

OK couple of things. 1. It sags a little (it would, it has some weight hanging off it) and 2. It isn't absolutely directly over the CPU hole. However, due to it now being a good two inches longer (that's what she said) it can now bend and flex a little.

I can't see it giving me too many problems now tbh.

[​IMG]

So with any luck I will connect it up tomorrow if the fittings from OCUK arrive on time, and it will be pumping water at some point tomorrow arvo.

Oh yeah.. I also measured the distance between the block and 90 deg and it's 35mm. A nice even amount that should allow me to get it bob on. I forget what the rotaries are now (will go check in a mo) but the extensions are 5mm and 10mm. Knowing my luck I will end up using like bloody two of the six fittings I bought :D

10. Vault-Tec

Not the best of mornings.

[​IMG]

Especially when you bought four, and ended up having to drain the rig down completely three times just to find they are all just as crap. In the end (after a fourth drain) I flipped it around. What I mean is instead of going straight through - rotary I flipped it so that it was rotary - straight through. I noticed that there was some lateral pressure on the rotary and when you moved it it pissed like a racehorse. I removed 2mm of hose, flipped it around (so all of that lateral pressure is on the straight pipe piece) and bingo. Very annoying though. I could hang from my Monsoons and they never leak ever.

Many hours later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne would have been proud of my persistence and patience. He must have been looking down on me, because usually after one drain down if it leaked twice I would have smashed it to bejesus.