1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Divergence :: my58vw's HTPC :: 1st place CM3!!! New Pics :: 7/03/04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by my58vw, 23 Apr 2004.

1. guy

guy What's a Dremel?

this looks good nice work...

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

You're doing a great job on this my58vw. :) Its great! (Aside from the horrible multicolored splotchiness of the front panel ;) :D)

3. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Thanks guys, I am working on the case as much as possible right now...

The screen does still work, I soldered the vga connections on yesterday at school in the electronics lab and the screen still powers up correctly... vga test soon.

I cut all the side panels today and will work on cleaning them up tomarrow and fillinf some small things. I have come up with the design for the inner rack and am working on it also. The fan mount is working and the fans installed.

My laptop is getting repaired right now (a little non modding accident) and I will be able to get some pics up when it comes back. I love laptop breakage insurance :D

More to come soon... ETA for the case.. .June 15th, 3 weeks :rolleyes:

And as to the blotches on the front.. you will not see them... :hehe: :hehe:

The panel looks even butter now than the pics, just chacing little imperfections before the whole thing goes to powdercoat this week...

4. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Major Update... Side Panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side panels are still being worked on slightly (i.e. being filed). I need to modify the rails on the sides to make the side panels fit. The case is really starting to take shape now. As soon as the panels are fininshed I am going to strip them and send them to powder coat. Next is the inside panels for the cdroms and all the brackets.

More to come soon... Until Next Time... Keep Modding :dremel:

Oh yes... I need to find the perfect angle to show the case off. Any ideas? I tried to take a few angles to see what you think...

5. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

The front is looking nice, cant wait to see it painted and lit up!

6. technomancer

technomancer What's a Dremel?

Looking great. Can't wait to see that LCD front panel finished. That's going to be awesome. :rock:

7. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

First great project! Cant wait to see it powder coated!

I think the best angle will be standing over it from the left a little--that way you can see in, the top stuff and the front LCD.

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Sexah :hip: Awful lot of windows for my tastes thoguh :D Great job none the less. :rock: So when can we expect a completion date? :D

9. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Case should be done in approx 20 days. I am going to work on the insides today then it is off the powder coat. The dead line in June 14th so I have no time to waste.

Thanks, I always like a lot of windows, to show off the hardware and the mods to the mb panelt hat I am working on. It gives the case a whole new look that way... simplistic is the key to the project, simple and clean.

More latter this evening... Until then... keep modding :dremel:

10. wickyman

wickyman What's a Dremel?

to me, it seems as though filing in spots on a metallic surface with bondo, then backing on powder coat would cause the bondo to actually harden more then crack as it cools... have you thought of this? i think you should look further into it. the powder coat bakes at about 300F... which would cause the bondo to break and be pretty much useless... JMHO!

11. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

I will have to ask
    I have though about painting the front myself. We will see
    I am going to ask the powdercoater tomarrow

12. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Yepo case looks beautiful, I'm just not a fan of having that many windows, looks beautiful though, hope the rest of the case is of the same calibur :clap:

13. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Thanks... I just wanted an open design of the case so the windows had to be there. I am doing a black paint with dark tinted windows so all you will see is black sides until the case is truned on... That is the look that I was going for (see the sketchup)...

More to come as soon as I have a minute to work... :hehe:

14. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Text Update... Pics on Monday (or sooner)

Finished Fabricating the top internal panel and working on the drive cages. I also cut the back for the two fan panel (vs the one fan) and I am fininshing it tomarrow. The front is done being "shaved" and ready for primer. All side panels are cleaned and straight, ready for finishing.

I hope to have pics up ASAP... ETA for project divergence 2 weeks...

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Awesome! I am waiting happily for the pictures :) Excellent project of yours. BTW, did you ever tell us the specs of this system? I dont have time to read through the thread and find out. :D

16. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Right now... Gigabyte AMD XP MB (400 MHz FSB)
    2500 + Barton 333 MHz Processor (Overclocked to 2900+)
    1 GB Corsair Ram (400 MHz)
    Gigabyte 5200 128 MB nVidia Graphics
    SB Audigy 2 Sound
    60 GB SCSI 68 Pin UW 10K HDDs (3)
    Soon, 4 250 GB 8 MB IDE HDDs (For storage)

Matrox PCI Video Card (for LCD) Undecided

Sorry for no pics yet but my laptop is down and I have all my photoediting software on it. I will get them up as soon as possible. :D

17. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Here are some teaser pics of the progress. I am working on the back now and the insides and some of the new pics are not avalable yet. More to come soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see by the pics everything in the case is custom including all the inside panels. One thanks to bliss unleashed for the idea for the back fans. I will have the construction pics when it is done...

Things still need to be cleaned up a bit but they are really close in the pics. I will leave the small stuff for Moday before paint... sorry for the photos, I do not access to photoshop right now so I am using a free online utility. You can see how the vft and cdrom on top will be oriented... now working on the brackets. It is really hard to hold a camera, vft and cdrom all at the same time...

18. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Woah, those are some awesome specs. :rock: But how much does this thing COST!? A Terabyte of HDD space is not exactly an inexpensive commodity. :eek: I see there is a new obsession with slot loading drives around here. :D There is an old working Slot loading CD-Drive at a store I was visiting.... Maybe I should get it... :naughty: What kind of television is this going to be hooked up to? I am getting a feeling that you either have a smaller LCD TV, one of those Huge Ass Projection TVs or a Plasma... You have to show us the media setup this baby is plugging into when its all done. :baby: :)

19. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Not yet (LCD) ... I am only 22 and can not afford things like that yet :waah:

We have a computer business and we get parts OEM through WD, maxtor, etc. The drives are probably in the 600 range but we use them for the business and out customer information system and that is what this case is for. It will more that likely sit in the main store area that is why it is getting all the stuff that it is getting... plus for the contest that I am entering I need big and flashy and this is it.

Slot loading are nice because you can do somethings that you can not do, like insert the cd upside down or in small spaces, etc...

All the internals cost around 1300 with half in storage. Everything else is through current stock that we use in systems (yes I paid)... More to come soon. Oh ya you wish to know why I need 1 TB (930 GB...) 30 GB Mp3s, 50 GB movies, 20 GB (or so) Pictures, 100 or so GB customer programs, etc. plus I digital video edit and this will also function as a massive video storage device. Note all my media is legit and not from Kaaza or limewire etc. I do not need RIAA on my *&# for illegal music downloads... :naughty:

20. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Work at a PC store? You lucky Devil :D

Ok, now I see why you need all that HDD space.

BTW, what kind of setups do you sell anyway? I know how to design some pretty nice computer setups :D :naughty: Good luck with the rest of this project :) And I hope you get more customers as a result :thumb: