1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Dragon's Fire

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tom1189, 25 Aug 2005.

1. tom1189

tom1189 New Member

Ok this is my first project, decided to do it for basically a time filler. OK ? Then i'll begin.

21/08/05 It begins !

Went to Aria today and picked up a arianet midi case for the tidy some of £17,

Weather was good today so started of out side 8)

[​IMG]

Nicely protected

[​IMG]

Front

[​IMG]

Side view

Take a good look because this case will never look the same again !

Lets get started, first i drilled out the pop rivets holding the top on with my trusty dremel copy. I then cut out the fan grills using a pair of snips and started to smooth the edges with a sanding drum.

[​IMG]

Its naked ! :eek:

23/08/05 Front Panel

An unexpected update but ive just been sat here bored out of my skull so i decided t make a start on the front panel to give a better idea of what im going to do with the mesh.

[​IMG]

The white area is the are to be cut

[​IMG]

Nothing put acuracy for this project ! 8)

[​IMG]

Didn't take much care with this as i dont realy need to due to the wonders of car body filler :). Isnt shown is this picture but ive removed all the rough melted plastic with a knife and its all alot clearer. This gap is where my mesh will go sat on the lip ive left in, i will then apply car body filler in vast quantitys and sand it all smooth.

24/08/05 The Morning

Paint arrived, unfornatly we have normal summer weather in manchester today

[​IMG]

24/08/05 The afternoon !

The weather improved dramatically, so heres the next update.

Im using war hammer chaos black paint, it leaved a wonderfull matt black finish and drys incredible fast, i was able to cut two coats of paint done in an hour with it.

[​IMG]

Everything almost preped

[​IMG]

First Coat

[​IMG]

2nd and final coat, not the mono tray is painted black but apears grey due to the sun.

[​IMG]

Everything back together

Updates soon, comments welcome.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2005
  2. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 New Member

ALright another $15-$40 being slaughter for the cause, Nice work so far!

3. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

Nice work so far. I cant tell you how much molding improves those rough cuts though. Check out www.mnpctech.com for some cheap stuff. I think they can give you some cheap stuff to do that'll get ya goin smoothely

4. aevitas

aevitas New Member

Nice start.. what are your plan for this project? Watercooling? Lights? Colorsceme etc?

Looking forward for more updates, btw nice paintjob :thumb:

5. tom1189

tom1189 New Member

Cheers for the comments guys, im from the UK and the closest we've got to www.mnpctech.com is www.kustompcs.co.uk. The hole i cut in the front panel going to be replaced with mesh and smoothed in with car body filler so it will (hopefully) look like it is part of the facia. I need to do this as behind it im going to drill a 120mm blowhole so it wll accomadate the airflow, it shud look quite good to. I wish i could show you the design for the side panel but due to the nature of the metal (i did it in pencil ) the rubber i was using made the metal shiny and difficult to photgraph. I have worked out that a 160mm rad will fit in the front so that is a possibility when it comes to watercooling. s of yet i havent made many plans for the specification.

6. tom1189

tom1189 New Member

Update 27/08/05

This is the most difficult and ambitious thing i have done with a dremel ever. I started by tracing over the design with the cutting wheel, this makes the wheels last longer.

[​IMG]

Traced dragon :twisted:

Next i started to cut the design, i was not expecting the amount of sparks this thing kicks out !

[​IMG]

I think this pic looks way cool !

[​IMG]

Good thing this is gettin a respray, that paints getting toasted !

[​IMG]

By changing the disc early i get a set of nice small discs when it comes to doing the detail

[​IMG]

Time for some sanding i think

[​IMG]

Lookin good

Time for the realy hard bit !

[​IMG]

Traceing the design

[​IMG]

Cut out but still needs alot of work !

[​IMG]

It still isn't quite finished and i know the flames arent exelent and they do need some more work, they will however never be perfect but i am very happy for my first crazy dremel design :D

7. Hindaine

Hindaine New Member

Thats the Dragon Sunglasses logo, is it not?

8. tom1189

tom1189 New Member

Ive copyied it of an stick on window etch in the uk, dont have a clue how it relates to sunglasses mate.