1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project : Ednismod iCute QW07 (NEED IDEAS)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ednismod, 23 Jul 2008.

1. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Hi All,

In an attempt to modify my current casing, I'd like to ask for your opinions on how I could make this case better in terms of repositioning the PSU (trust me you'll see why I need to), cable management, and coating the skeleton with black paint. Ok, so here's my casing. I just snagged these pictures but this is the same model for my casing.

Looks pretty and clean, ya think?

[​IMG]

Shiny eh!? But don't get comfortable just yet. :naughty:

[​IMG]

Ok, so here's the very reason why I need to reposition the PSU somewhere where the cables will be managed to the fullest. Will you look at that? Just by placing the PSU in its default location already gives me headache on managing the cables, not to mention the cables from the PSU is very visible with transparent side panel and I don't think I like that, I'm guessing neither do you.

[​IMG]

Here's how it goes at the other side. :waah:

[​IMG]

... and a few pictures showing the inside view of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And here's the front panel:

[​IMG]

So folks, I need your ideas big time. Thank you in advance and more power. :thumb:

Last edited: 23 Jul 2008
  2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

That PSU mount is just plain weird! in terms of re-positioning it, are you going to be using an ATX or mATX board in this case?

3. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

I think the only way to move it is if you go mATX with your system. The way the case layout is, there's really no alternative place to put the PSU. How weird of them to design it like that :rolleyes:

4. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Huhu. Just as I thought, it's really killing me. Yes, I will be using mATX for the meantime while it is the only option.

5. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

i think you should externially mount the psu it sound retarded i know but looks sweet if done well where the psu normally goes in the top back mount on the top top back lol make sense?

6. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Hehe, thanks man but that doesn't seem to solve cable management issue. More ideas please.

Many thanks!

7. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I was going to say that:p

make a casing for the PSU that fits on top of the existing case (Apologies for the bad ascii)

Hole for wires ^^
    to come through to main part of the case

8. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Yes! I think I'll consider that, although I haven't pictured the idea in mind yet, hehe (the ascii doesn't seem to show the idea quite clear). But considering the PSU on top seems to be a good idea. Thank you. Still, I have to see what others have to say.

9. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

My ideas:
    1. Reverse the PSU. Geth the back of the psu facing the transparent frontpanel. This brings the cables to the other side (motherboard side) and hides them behind the PSU and drive bay. It may require some vents in the transparent sidepanel for the PSU exhaust, but with a bit luck it wont.
    2. Place the PSU in the top two 5,25" drive bays. The cables can be hidden beneath the top panel of the case, just outside the view of the window.
    3. hack the PSU open and let the cables come out of the other side of the PSU (any side for that matter).
    With all: mind the high voltage capacitors in the PSU. And you could make it a modular PSU, there's a guide here on bit-tech for that.

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

The PSU is totally wrong. It's like "hey guys, look at my new case design" and then someone says "Oh, U forgot the PSU"!
    One thought is as the others have said, redrill the PSU case for the wires to come out pointing to the back. You could hide it completely with some dark black plexi. A Blue PSU really looks bad unless you incorporate a blue theme to the whole interior.
    What does the case look like straight on from the rear? Any way to move it up to the top rear?

John

11. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Idea: Cut the 3.5 drive bays down and flip the PSU verticaly and mount the hard drives next to it with the fan blowing on them? kind of like the top back of an tt armor.

12. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

@pizan

That's really something. I think taking down the 3.5" drive bays will even give me more space but let see how we can work out the ventilation for that.

@Bluefan

I tried reversing the PSU with cables facing the other side of the panel. The only problem is that the space between the power cable connecting the PSU to the rear is not enough. But I am thinking also hacking the PSU as you have said. That's not a bad idea, after all I have already made some modification with the PSU by adding some extra cables to make it longer, that way it reaches the power connection of the motherboard. Though I'm not sure I get the idea of the PSU being placed on top of the 5.25" bays, are you trying to tell me that I should expand the case upward? Something like that? Please bear with me.

@Janlon303

I will be using a blue theme for the UV fans but not including the PSU. The PSU will be colored with black. Oh, and the blue one aint my PSU, that aint my pictures either but that's the same casing model, hehe. Considering your suggestions about drilling the PSU, that might work or it probably will and covering it with something is an interesting thought, which was my initial idea but let see what else we can get from other modders. Oh, below is the rear picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Man, the PSU location sucks really yet I am thankful about your suggestions guys. They are really filling-up with ideas and soon will come out with one best solution.

13. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Sir @pizan,

Is this how you suggested the PSU is supposed to be?

[​IMG]

And the hard drive looking like this? The one on the top left?

[​IMG]

Of course, I am assuming this will be in front.

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Thanks for the rear, it looked like from the inside that the rear wasn't even flat but has a stepped side. Not going to make it any easier to remount PSU.
    John

15. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

For ventilation you could just cut a big hunk the metal in the front part out or possibly cut out the bracket and move it so the screw holes are lined up and stuff

Edit: Sorry missed that one post (my screen at work is tiny).
    Yes, you could stand it up vertically and mount a hard drive cage next to it, but if it isnt wide enought you could mount the hds vertically too. I was thinking that the wiresconnection wires would just stick straight out the back towards the mobo. then easy connecting.

16. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

You guys are great. Your ideas are very helpful sorting out which really fits the ideas of repositioning the PSU and cable management along with it. I'll try to visualize each of your suggestions and make some measurements.

Other ideas are still welcome. Again, thank you for your help. I'll update this thread once in a while for more inquiries, suggestions, and ideas throughout this project. Oh, and this will be a low-range built.

17. tmaxxking1

tmaxxking1 I

18. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

@tmaxxking1

Thanks! I'll check it out!

19. ednismod

ednismod Minimodder

Ok, so here's a little update. What I did is reverse the PSU, that way the cables go the other side of the panel where they will be hidden. The mod still needs a lot of work, I just assembled the case so I can use it to post an update, hehe. That's because I have no extra computer. Here are the list of works that still needs to be done:

• Sleeving those colorful cables with black.
    • Cover the cables at the bottom with aluminum or some plexi glass painted with black.
    • Paint the PSU with black or better yet buy a black PSU with cables already covered with mesh sleeves.
    • ...and more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, how do you like the cable management so far? Things are just getting started. Still, your ideas and suggestions are still welcome and thanks for those who helped me figure out what is to be done. The idea seems to be quite simple but without your help things would have been complicated.

Tags: