1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Elegant-Li

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The boy 4rm oz, 21 Feb 2011.

1. skullen

skullen Member

Looking good The boy 4rm oz,very nice :thumb:

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Thanks Alex and skullen.

Yeah sorry about the picture size, I definitely need to resize them, sad thing is I can't do it once they are uploaded I think so I will have to re-do them once I get some time this week.

3. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Uuuuh, ya - pics waaaaaay too big. Will check again after re-upload.

4. The boy 4rm oz

Images resized, enjoy.

5. Nutman

I enjoyed.

6. The boy 4rm oz

Good to hear :D.

7. NavidsonRecord

NavidsonRecord Where the bloody hell are ya'?

hows an update going?

8. Nutman

Yup, casemodders are really impatient people ;)

9. The boy 4rm oz

I haven't done anything since that previus update, I have no money to buy the metal I need to be able to mount the panels. I am hoping to get something done next week.

10. The boy 4rm oz

Just a small update for tonight everyone. I have some nice new watercooling goodies coming my way thanks to a sponsor so stay tuned for some pics when they come in. I am expecting some bits and pieces early next week.

I have made some slight progress with the mod itself but nothing worth mentioning just yet so you will have to wait and see :D.

11. The boy 4rm oz

Stay tuned, update this week.

12. The boy 4rm oz

Well I have been doing a bit of work on how all my newly cut panels will be mounted. Originally I was going to go with countersunk bolts tapped into some angle aluminium but not only was this a lot more work it was unsightly.

This is what I have decided to do.
    I start off with countersinking some holes into my aly panels:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I drill some holes in some alu angle bar which I cut to size earlier:
    [​IMG]

And hey presto, rivet the two together:
    [​IMG]

Now I know it seems I didn't really solve my problem of it being unsightly but I have an ace up my sleeve. When I countersunk the holes for the rivits I made sure I sunk deep enough so the entire rivet head sat below the surface of the alu. I intend to use an automotive body filler to fill these holes and once I sand the filler flat and paint the panels the panel mounts will be unseen.

I am currently in the process of mounting the alu angle bracket on my unmounted panels and once that is done I can start putting everything back together. I will have more pics on this over the next few weeks hopefully. There is still one more panel I need to make but I can't do that until the motherboard tray, and floor are mounted atleast. This panel is also holding me back from making my drive bays. This step has taken longer then I would have hoped but I would rather have everything mounted properly first then having to go back and re-do my work.

Unfortunately that's all I have time for today. I have been kept busy with uni, work and a side project I am working on for my sponsor. Speaking of sponsors my goodies should be coming in next week sometimes, they got held up in customs for a week :D. I will post pics once my stuff comes in. Until then...

Happy Modding.

13. Nutman

You DO know that you can buy countersunk rivets, right? ;)

14. The boy 4rm oz

Yes I do know you can get countersunk rivits but, A I am to cheap to buy them because I have no money :D and, B i'd rather use what I have on hand cos either way there is going to be body filler involved :thumb:. Thanks for the input mate.

15. Nutman

Just checking, hehe. What you have done looks fine! :dremel:

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I always say any progress without hiccups is good progress mate :) & the longer a project takes, better ideas really thought about can pack into it, I like the hidden rivets touch :dremel:.

I found countersunk rivets can be very hit & miss for making a solid connection anyway so the classic bulging types I believe are still best :).

17. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Hidden rivets Cheesecake bro!!!! Nice countersunk holes there my friend!

18. The boy 4rm oz

@ Wayne - Thanks mate. I have only had limited experience with countersunk rivets so I can't really comment but the original ones do seem to be a little bit stronger.

@ Alex - Cheers buddy :D.

19. The boy 4rm oz

My sponsor goodies came in today so I thought it would be time to introduce my sponsor :D.

Speedy IT Services!
    [​IMG]
    http://speedyitservices.com.au/
    Speedy IT is a local IT group run by a good friend of mine who I met through my Uni degree. Speedy IT Services specialize in PC repairs and website design but also sell hardware, software and watercooling products. I helped Paul (the owner) get things going and it is great to see the busines take off in the local market. When Paul decided he wanted to build his first water cooled PC just under 12 months I helped him get everything organised from the ground up and to repay me he agreed to be my sponsor for this current build. Since then Paul has become a supplier for a lot of high end water cooling gear and is the only retailer in South Australia that actually sells this high end gear to the general public.

Well now that I have introduced my sponsor (thanks Paul ;)) it's time to see what he hooked me up with :thumb:.

This first lot of stuff is only the gear I had completely made my mind up on. I am still getting a complete parts list together and changing it every 5 mins lol.

First up I have a whole bunch of nice and shiny EK Barbs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also got some 90 degree and 45 degree EK fittings as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A twin 5mm white LED, also from EK:
    [​IMG]

The last of this order was a new EK pump top for a second hand DDC I picked up earlier:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some goodies I ordered for myself as well.
    I got a Steel Blue dye bomb so I can start experimenting with coolant colours:
    [​IMG]

A Blue ring illuminated Bulgin switch;
    [​IMG]

A ModSmart Molex/ATX depinning kit:
    [​IMG]

2 Bitspower fill/drain ports:
    [​IMG]
    (I will be using these as bulkhead fittings to pass through my custom floor panel.)

And a 120mm black fan grill:
    [​IMG]

No progress shots for tonight but I did install that nice new EK pump top :D.
    Here is the pump as it came, a Swiftech 355:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see it already did come with a pump top but i'm not a fan of the plexi Alphacool tops, not only it is way oversized but it wont be seen so clear plexi is a waste.

And after replacing it with the EK top it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Much better IMO.

Well that's it for now. Until next time...

Happy Modding.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2011
  20. Baekkel

Baekkel Picky Picture Villian

+1 on the pump.
    The EK top says to me:
    Sleek,
    Stylish
    Se-se-se-sexy...

Swiftech top on the other hand, reminds me of that girl in the bar that obviously ate too much cake as a child..