1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Endorphin (Update 23/01)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DAE_JA_VOO, 29 Jan 2007.

1. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

Very nice, keep up the good work

2. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys :D

Update:

I added some fans to the raddy:

[​IMG]

And then started designing the front face:

[​IMG]

It comprises of two pieces of 3mm plexi. The one is a clear piece with the white of the case sprayed on the one side, and the other piece is a clear red piece.

I then added two vandal resistant switches for Power and reset:

[​IMG]

Now comes a REALLY cool part :D I was originally planning on putting the two Alphacool reservoirs on the top of the case, until i did this:

[​IMG]

And that was it. The idea of the reservoirs on top of the case disgusts me. Looks like crap. lol. So now the reservoirs will be on the front, and tubing will go across the top of the case. Let me demonstrate:

I'll make on of these:

[​IMG]

Put it here:

[​IMG]

And run the tubing through it like so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

For some reason Sketchup didn't render all the tubing... but you get the idea.

I also found the font i'd like to use for this mod. I came down to a choice between these three:

[​IMG]

But i settled on the middle one.

Let me know what you guys think :D

3. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

wow, those resevoirs with that tubing panel on top look really cool. you may want to add another holder at the end of the "L" so the res on the right's tubing will match up well to the one on the left.

also, i have no clue how the name genocide goes with the case. it just doesnt seem to fit with me. if it were me, "genocide" would be almost a rust mod with dried "blood," knife slashes, and bullet holes, not this extremely clean and cool design.

4. tolis86

tolis86 What's a Dremel?

i prefer the third font...

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow that looks great.

6. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

the second font looks nice

7. DAE_JA_VOO

Thanks for all your comments guys :D

I know dude, i only realized that when you said it, so i need to find a new name here...

Anyway, the SketchUp's are just about done. I started actually working this morning! I started with the front panel.

Okay, here's the red plexi that will be used throughout the mod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All masked up and ready for some action:

[​IMG]

Cut out. Still needs to be sanded:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then, my friends, here's my new toy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is in action:

[​IMG]

Phase one sanding done:

[​IMG]

The edges:

[​IMG]

That's still rough sanding though. Nothing can possibly beat the perfection that sanding by hand brings, so i'll be sanding like an animal again. Currently those edges are pretty rough, they were sanded by 80 grit on that table sander, but i still need to get about 1mm off each of the edges, so i'll start with rough sand paper again, probably something along the lines on 36 or so, then move to 220, 800, 1200, 1600 and finally 2000. Then Polishing and those edges will look BETTER than what they would look if they were laser cut ;)

That's it guys :D

8. DAE_JA_VOO

Just thought i would show you guys pics of the (basically) complete SketchUps. I didn't spend a lot of time on the rear tubing mounts because they'll be just like the mounts on top, and i'm REALLY just too lazy to model them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Damn i could have cropped those a bit :?

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

not bad coming along pretty nicely and the sketches are great.

10. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

that is awesome man. im really looking forward to some more progress pics!

11. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

Dude loving it so far love how u placed the tanks on the front! Keep it up! :thumb:

12. sauceysailor

sauceysailor What's a Dremel?

Was Jesus pretty into PC modding? :worried:

13. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

That water into wine mod was pretty awesome :) As is this one!

14. DAE_JA_VOO

Time for an update hey? Since Epiphany is finally done i can start with this baby :D

Since my last update, a lot has happened. The Team Xtreem RAM that Prophecy sent me died. I had read and heard that Team RAM tends to die after a few months, and i hoped that wouldn't happen to me but it has. That sucks.

Anyway, Henk from Prophecy sent me some new RAM. Some Mushkin goodness:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Prophecy!!

This is the Mushkin EM3200 2x1GB Kit. It's not as high end as the Team RAM i had before, but at least i know this RAM isn't gonna die on me in 3 months. I think i should email Team...

Anyway, this RAM is not Value RAM, but it's not performance RAM either. Kind of in between. It's said to be able to do 230 FSB at 3-3-3-8 timings, so you can see it's not like my XP4000 Mushkins that can do 3-3-2-6 at 265 :p

Anyway, here they are in my shuttle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a CPU in this machine, i was using a 3500+ that i bought from a guy about 4 months ago. He had the chip for a while before that too, so it was quite old. Well, that chip died as well. Something started going wrong and it started randomly BSODing, which got on my frikken nerves. So i bought another 3500+:

[​IMG]

And the BSODing has now stopped. In a few days i should be getting a 4400+ as well.

Kinda going off topic here, but, i negotiated with this guy for the 4400+, and we came to an agreement, so the chip was "sold" to me, so to speak. I didn't have it yet though. Now he got an offer from someone else and is now negotiating with THAT person. Dammit stuff like that makes me angry. He agree that the chip was mine, and now i might not even get it.

Woooosaaaaaa..... *rubs earlobes*

Let's continue. This morning i started with the plexi cover that will sit towards the top of the case. I first made a little template out of ABS plastic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seemed to fit well. Then i grabbed a piece of red plexi:

[​IMG]

OMW this stuff is nice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too bad Maizey cut it like n00bs. Look at this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That forces me to have to sand for an eternity to get those chips out. What's worse is that i can't use any powertools for the sanding because i'm a sissy and i need the lines to be as straight as possible, and in my opinion, nothing gives straighter lines than sanding by hand. So, i masked up the plexi:

[​IMG]

And then started off with some of this goodness:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That paper is so rough it's not even funny. So, after the 36, the plexi looks like this:

[​IMG]

Then it was time for some 80 grit. After the 80, the plexi looks like this:

[​IMG]

And then some 220:

[​IMG]

After this, the next smoothest paper i have is frikken 1200. That jump is too big and means that i have to sand for a while on the 1200. I'm too lazy to get in my car and go buy something like 600 grit, so i just sanded with the 1200. After the 1200, i used 2000. Many guys say that the 2000 pointless, but you need to see how smooth this plexi is after 2000. Have a look:

[​IMG]

Smoother than a baby's bottom. lol.

So now i'm gonna make the hole for the power cables, as well as drill the mounting holes.

So tired of sanding :( And i'm hungry....

15. DAE_JA_VOO

Another update! Oh noes!

First thing's first. The name Genocide has to go. The name doesn't suite the mod at all. SO please throw some suggestions my way!

So i carried on modding today. After my update i needed to do a few quick mods to the chassis. Like drill out a couple of rivets:

[​IMG]

And cut a few pieces of alu that were in the way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to carry on on the piece of plexi i started with. I remasked it and marked it for cutting:

[​IMG]

And here it was cut to size, all it needed was sanding:

[​IMG]

And then while sanding it, i frikken owned my finger. It doesn't look bad, but it hurts like hell and my finger is numb :|

[​IMG]

It's one of those things that hurt like crap but look like a scratch. Anyway, after drilling a whole lot of holes for mounting and for space for the cable management system, i had a test fit:

[​IMG]

Perfect.

Then i had one last hole to make in the plexi. I had been dreading this because i've never made a hole like this before, and i expected it to be tough. Just watch the pics ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done:

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, it was difficult, but not as difficult as i was expecting.

Okay, so now that plexi was done. Time for another test fitment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That pretty hole:

[​IMG]

Tested the cables from the PSU. Fits perfectly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then i made a protective cover for the plexi out of bubble wrap, and that will be locked away until i need it again.

[​IMG]

That's it! More to come tomorrow :)

16. exitus

exitus What's a Dremel?

nice one! i really dig that red plexi you got there! can't wait to see the final results
    cheers

17. harvy

harvy Minimodder

call me a n00b but will the res work ok if its upside down???

18. DAE_JA_VOO

Thanks man :D

Okay.

n00b!!!! :p

Yes it will :) The reservoirs have a plexi tube inside that will assist ;)

Listen guys i decided to do some name changing. The name Genocide didn't exactly fit with the look of the mod, so i changed the name to Endorphin, just cos i think it's a cool word. lol.

19. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

This just keeps getting better and better!

And thanks for changing the name.

20. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

this is one sweet mod... anyone know a supplier of colored plexi and aluminium sheets in BC ?
    btw i love the red plexi makes me kinda tingly inside... dammit my wife just said... Geek Much ?

Grrrrrrrr

Tags: