1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Enermax CS-718

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by kei, 31 Aug 2006.

1. kei

kei What's a Dremel?

Project: Enermax CS-718

Hi people this is my second attempt at modding, and as the nice people at custom pc gave me some top prizes for winning the

August edition of readers drives with my guildwars case i thought id have another go and where better to post than on here.
    I tend to get carried away while working hence i dont have a huge amount of pictures : (

They sent me a enermax cs-718 but in black with the un-meshed side panel, which was great as i could cut my own windows in

it.

Day 1

The first thing to do was polish the brushed aluminium front
    [​IMG]

Day 2
    Tho the case was black it need to be sanded down and re-sprayed, as I want to continue practising my airbrushing skills

[​IMG]
    While waiting for the first coats to dry i cut a psu plate from 4mm diamond plate aluminium that i had left over from another

project

[​IMG]
    5 coats later and its started to look pretty good.

Day 3
    After doing skulls on the guildwars project i wanted to step it up abit and try something a bit more difficult and airbrushed
    fire has always caught my eye so i tried my hand at the true fire effect.

[​IMG]
    Autoair Candy Yellow, Orange, Red
    The True fire effect relies on candy colours to compound the foreground colours to the back but so they still remain visible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I started off with a light random pattern of light red to mark out where my fire was going.

[​IMG]
    Then I Overshot candy red 2 - 3 times to darken the light red

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Using free hand shields i cut from acetate i sprayed yellow on the arc’s of the fire, then sprayed candy orange over the top
    to compound the red and yellow spray i had done before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To high light the flames i mixed yellow and white, as i found just white on its own is too bright.
    Once the flames where highlighted i sprayed candy yellow as that strangely makes all the colours that have been
    sprayed before seem more brighter.

Day 4
    [​IMG]
    Clearcoated and unmasked result.

Day 5
    [​IMG]
    I Managed to pick up some more aluminium diamond plate from a local metal shop and plate the inside of the case and cut a

120mm rad hole under the psu.

Day 6
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used the same process for the top panel even tho this is going to be plated with diamond plate i still covered the whole panel.

2. kei

kei What's a Dremel?

Day 7
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I decided to cut two windows on on the side so the cpu, ram & graphics cards where visible in there own windows.

Day 8
    [​IMG]
    Masked off the area around the windows to be sprayed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Added some 3D panels,cracks and rivits around the window to give it some depth.

Day9
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To give it an extra effect i masked off the area where the windows where and put true fire around it too make it look like

the fire was burning off the paint work to reveal the 3D work.

Day 10
    [​IMG]
    The sun was shining which is a good thing as candy colours give the impression of trapped light under natural lighting

[​IMG]
    I cut the front of the case and plated it with diamond plate so i could mount another 120mm rad, and managed to get a scsi

hdd rack which came off and old server case, i also plated the front usb and audio ports as i never have a use for them.

[​IMG]
    At this point i realised that two rad with 1/2" was going to be a tight squeeze so i order a different water cooling kit

[​IMG]
    I did a 3D effect on the back just under the psu to give it a cracked/dented look.

I kinda of got carried away after the last picture and forgot to take more but i basically just repeated the true fire effect

on the other panel but put a candy red skull behind the flames that can only been seen under certain lighting, and I cut the

flame plates for the top and front of the case along with the tax disc hold for around the fan control :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to design a window etch that will go with the overall look now, if anyone has any ideas it would be great.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Reallly nice airbrushing.

The only thing I really don't like about it are the case badges, but I like my minimalism. :p

As for a window etch, how about a smoke effect on it?

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Looks cool but ... those case badges! Take 'em off!

5. ssR

ssR Carbon God

damnit man thats some nice airbrushing! the side panel with the cut outs looks the best imo (most realistic), front bezel looks a bit faded maybe because its meshed. keep it up

6. GoTaLL

GoTaLL What's a Dremel?

really sweet one love the airbrush skills :)

7. kei

kei What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments guys

I agree with the badges i was going to leave them off, but i ended up putting them on just before i went to the i28 Lan.

ill see if i can peel them :)

8. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

yeah the badges look kinda tacky but great paintjob

9. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

i think that is awesome! keep modding dude!

thanks
    Scott B

10. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Wow man, your case is on fire, great paint job. I love realistic flames.

11. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Holy God, those are freaking amazing. I'm normally violently opposed to painted flames because they tend to look very tired and unoriginal (as well as unrealistic) but those are outstanding. I like it. And I'm with Doug on the etch...a smokey effect would be very cool.

Looking great, dude. *subscribed.*

12. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

GSUS CHRIST!! This shows some painting skills!! Really beautiful...

13. Temet Nosce

Temet Nosce What's a Dremel?

Thats unreal, I love it beautiful, beautiful painting. But i agree with the others, lose the case badges i feel it detracts from the rest of the case.

Thanks Temet Nosce

14. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

Man, between you and GoTall, my airburshing skills are looking very inferior. Subscribed man, awesome job.

15. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

Awesome airbrushing, particularly liking the red skull on the side panel.

As to the window either a smoked finish as previously suggested or what about an image of some kind showing/depicting an ignition point for the flames?
    Ie, Lit match, blowtorch, skull with a cigar sticking out of its mouth?

But eitherway definately some of the best flames i've ever seen airbrushed.

Cheers
    -Belial