1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Enigma Reborn (5/26) Rad Grill design, more forth coming

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tolk, 7 Feb 2008.

1. Tolk

Tolk Keep it simple, build it incredible

Thanks man, I appreciate it :)

Well, i have a small update today. Nuttin special but it's an update none the less.

Was talkin to a friend of mine, he asked why I didn't just bend the ends of the back plate, and rivet them on.
    I was like.. um.. i donno. Then he said, it would also make the backplate stronger, so as not to bend when under pressure.
    I was like.. um.. cool.

So i remade the back plate and bent the ends. I must say... I'm VERY PLEASED with the way it came out.
    Silky smooth!

[​IMG]

Here it is with one side installed. I didn't make or drill out the bottom end yet because i still
    haven't gotten my mother board tray in the mail. (grr @ ups) So i don't want to cut anything
    until I have it in my hands and can measure properly.

[​IMG]

And here is just a new lil toy i got. Helps with evening out the edges of the cuts, and smoothing the alum. :D

[​IMG]

I did happen to make a small... ok not so small design update, but i'd rather just show you it finished than post all kinds of sketch up pics.

So keep your eyes out for that..

Hope ya'll had a great weekend!

See ya soon

-Tolk

2. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

looking nice so far. keep it coming..

3. Tolk

I'm tryin man.. :D i'm tryin!

4. Tolk

Wazzzzup

Time for another update!

Ya know, days off are a wonderful thing. You plan on modding the whole day. You get your butt up early,
    head out to the "shop" (whatever that may consist of for you). You blast some music and get to work.
    I decided that i really needed to "FINISH" the box so that i could move on to other areas. So I went
    to work on countersinking all the screw holes I had drilled.

And here's that beautiful work completed, rather pretty don't you think? :D

[​IMG]

So, FOUR HOURS LATER... yeah.. 4!
    It's like countersinking is a time-sink....

I am seriously fed up with UPS and them losing my crap in the mail, so i said screw it.
    And I'm now building my OWN motherboard plate.

I grabbed an older steel version of a plate, and tore it up. I measured everything out and went to cutting.
    (sorry i didn't get any pictures of the cuts or previous work, but i was so involved with it i didn't even think
    about it.)

Here's the top of the plate, with bends in place for the side and front of the tray.
    [​IMG]

Here is the bottom, ZOMG it's freaking perfect. It's sits so even, not even a TINY wobble, it's as flat as can be!
    I am SOOOO PROUD of myself on this one, i got EVERYTHING right on it. (for once :D )

[​IMG]

Seriously, you need the right tools to do the right job.

18" bending brake from Harbor Fright $27 FOR THE WIN!

Well, that be it for me today...

I'm off to have some major surgery done on my teeth, have to have all four of my impacted wisdom teeth taken out.
    So I'm guessin I'll be out of the modding rhythm for about a week.
    Something about cracking the jaw so they can get it out.. eh. Sounds wonderful.

Have a great one, and see ya soon!

-Tolk

5. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

nice nice nice .. wich camera do use?

6. Tolk

Thanks man :D

I use a Kodak EasyShare V1003 10mpix

It's uber :D

7. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

looking good there man. Yeah, I so need to get one of those bending brakes. A friend of mine was supposed to be upgrading his, and he was going to let me have his old one. Gotta check up on that. :D

:eeek: OUCH! That sent chills down my spine when I read that. I feel for ya man.

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

@Boddaker :eeek: OUCH! That sent chills down my spine when I read that. I feel for ya man.

But think of the interesting pain medications! Think "Weekend at Bernie's" with a Dremel in his lap. Big smile, no pain, lawn chair and Dremel. Does it get any better than that?
    John

9. Tolk

Wow, I'm half in, half out of it.

But the Vicodin is working it's magic! Needless to say it didn't quite go as planned, i had to go back for a 2nd day of surgery seeing as my wisdom teeth were so impacted that they couldn't extract with me being aware. So i got knocked out :wallbash: on Thursday and they went in and did the whole thing with me passed out cold.

I am up and about but in a lot of pain, so i don't see me getting to do any modding till proly the end of next week.

I hope y'all don't give up on me and my project! Cause I dream bout this damn thing every night lol

Hope y'all had a great weekend.

I'll catch ya on the flip side!

-Tolk :rock:

10. jhanlon303

Heal now - Mod later.
    Health is number 1!
    NO TOOLS on Vicodin!
    2 or 3 days of repeats on the cable box and you will recover enuf to mod again. Gospel. Been there.
    John

11. Tolk

SUP ALL!

Time for a much needed update!
    Just an FYI: My teeth work went well, with a few bumps in the road. I'm at about 80% of normal now, but at least I'm back modding!

I was able to get out there today and FINNISH my Motherboard Tray. WOOT
    Y'all know from the previous update that i had it measured out, and all three sides bent and sitting beautiful!
    So i marked out all the holes for the MB stand offs and did some drilling.
    (you'll notice that i made a mistake at first and was off a little, when using the punches. Thank God for measuring 3 times and drilling once!)
    But i got it right the 3rd time, and drilled it all out. And made use of my new tap and die set.

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic of my mock up motherboard screwed in place! :D
    [​IMG]
    And a mock up of the back plate on the tray
    [​IMG]

Now it's not really showing in this picture, but I ran into something i wasn't counting on when I was making this.
    There is (on most motherboard trays) a larger gap between the tray and the back plate,
    so to fix this I made a drawing out of some scrap .05" alum I had laying around.
    [​IMG]
    Cut it out, you'll notice that it's not completely straight, no worries i sanded it down to fit perfect when i was done.
    [​IMG]

After many many times of alignment i drilled and cut the holes for all 3 pieces, set them up and riveted them in place.
    Looking MIGHTY FINE :D
    [​IMG]
    and a close up :D
    [​IMG]

Well, that's all I have for tonight but I'm happy to say that my Motherboard tray is complete!

Now I can measure out and cut the back plate and move ON... damn thing has been holding me up!

-Tolk

12. jhanlon303

@Tolk - I'm at about 80% of normal now, but at least I'm back modding!

I don't think I've EVER been 80% normal. Mod On.
    John

13. Tolk

lol well, 80% of MY normal... not normal in it self.. besides who defines normal? What is normal?
    Please.. for the love of GOD ALMIGHTY don't get me started on that lol

Update in a few min while I cool down from being pissed off at my damn !*(@)(!*@)(!*@# :wallbash: camera... AGAIN....

-Tolk

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I've had 7 out in the past month or so, I know your pain.

Great work, keep it up...

15. Tolk

Ouch, 7? lol man.. now that sucks.. And thanks for the compliment :D

Well, now that a cool down has completed... I can update... Kinda sorta....

Long story short, I had a huge update for ya with tons of pics..
    I forgot to load my chip into the camera, and i lost my damn cord that allows
    me to transfer from the camera to the computer via USB. And for some D*!M reason
    this camera doesn't let me move pictures from internal memory to a memory card.

So, I'm just able to show you pics of my final product. Mucho sorries.

Soon as i find my cord, or figure out how to transfer them I'll post them up for reference purposes.

Well... let's get down to the update!

I Completed the back plate cut out now that my MB tray was complete. A nice cut out that will allow the plate attached to the
    MB tray to securely be attached to the rear of the case! Woot!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

As i said earlier i had a slight change of design because of some fun stuff that I'm not allowed
    to talk about, but i'll just say DANGERDEN, I lub'm wif all my heart!
    So, side doors have been re-made to be one solid piece. As you'll see from the pics below, it looks rather
    friggin sweet!

Both Doors
    [​IMG]

Up Close pics of both Doors
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And for a little Mock up fun i posed the door on the box where it will be mounted. Looking pretty freakin sweet :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

Well, I hope you enjoyed the update... I'm still rather upset about the whole camera ordeal...

Hope everyone had a great weekend...

-Tolk

16. Tolk

I know everyone is itching for an update... so how bout one?

I started off the morning cutting out some 2"x8" brackets for the doors.
    Got them all measured and drilled out, as seen below.
    [​IMG]
    As you'll you can see in this rather weird shot i got, i marked the edges of the top and bottom of the door
    while it was up against the box. So that i could have an even line to measure against while installing the brackets.
    [​IMG]
    Next i installed the hinges and clamped them down on the door in the correct position.
    As you can see in this pic...
    [​IMG]
    Next i Taped it down to the center using my pre-measured lines, and hit a few pop rivets into the brackets for both sides.
    (on the door, and on the back of the case)
    [​IMG]
    And here is my working and installed door! WOOT
    [​IMG]

Now this next set of pictures, i'll tell you what I'm doing but I'll leave a little mystery about what it's for until tomorrow's update! :D

Here is the first piece i cut. Rather nice eh?
    [​IMG]
    Took that piece and used it as a template to draw out 3 more identical pieces for cutting.
    [​IMG]
    All cut out and looking good :D
    [​IMG]

Next i moved on to this 18"x5.5" piece of alum. Well, i have to cut it down to that size...
    So i set up my little home made rip fence. Just measure from the inside of the Jigsaw blade to the end of the tray and then mark a line
    and set up the board on that line.. perfect cuts every time...
    [​IMG]
    And the completed cut, nice and straight :D
    [​IMG]
    After that was completed i measured out the center of the piece and drew a nice guide line.
    [​IMG]

Then i started in on my little home made jig. I layed the 18" long piece of alum down on the board and clamped it down even with the edge.
    Next i took 2 L brackets and drilled them into place on the outside of that 18" line. so as to create a 18" inside area.
    [​IMG]
    Next i clamped down those pieces i cut out earlier to the L brackets on my jig.
    [​IMG]
    I next mixed up a little JB weld, and spread it on the edges of the upright curved pieces. then taped down that 18x5.5" piece down to the edges and then turned it over
    to allow pressure to be applied. You'll see my make shift weights and clamping system in this next pic :D
    [​IMG]

I'm letting this set, and will be working with it more tomorrow. You'll have to stay tuned to see what i have in store for it :D

As always.. mod on :D

-Tolk

17. Tolk

As Promised I'm going to show you what i was up to yesterday..

First of all, it failed.:wallbash: LOL

I didn't have enough pressure on the edges to allow the JBweld to set. So what i did was Cut off a piece of the back of the arch to allow for direct clamping.
    As you can see in this pic:
    [​IMG]
    Here's another close up of the clamps.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, a LOT more pressure via the clamps, and the whole thing is down around the curve this time. Should make for a better weld.

Here is some schetchup models of what I'm making, so as to give you a better idea of what i'm doing.
    You'll see in this pic that the arched piece will go on top of the box and will be locked into place on top of the case.
    Hiding the pumps and rez's. There will most likely be some cuts in the front for Water Tube clearance, but nothing to major.
    I'll also have two more supports with the same arch in the middle to support the top plate with the radiators.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a sketchup of the piece by itself, looks dang close to the real version :D
    [​IMG]

That's all i could do today, had my stitches out today, so I popped a pill to kill the pain a little. :thumb:

Hope to have more soon. :) really havin fun on this thing, moving along rather nicely i think.

Have a good night!

-Tolk

18. Tolk

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for the JB-Welding stuff.

First time I've ever used the stuff, if there's something better out there I'd love some links or to be pointed in the right direction.

Or, if I'm doing it right I'd love some feed back, one way or the other :)

Thanks in advance :naughty:

-Tolk

19. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Never used it really, but I read/hear its finniky stuff. I like it because it should be able to be powdercoated.
    Youve come along nicely, and I think this is going to turn out great.

20. Tolk

Thanks, means a lot :D

Well, one of the main things different this time around was the pressure on the edges, and the fact that i cleaned it up better than last time.

I'm starting to think that the .05 alum is a little to thick for this kinda stuff, so I'm looking into some .025 alum for all the arched cover plates.

-Tolk