1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Enter the Blue Dragon (STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phoeneous, 4 Jan 2005.

1. WaZzUp115

WaZzUp115 New Member

Yes i love the theme, it looks clean and nice. That sleeving looks great and the etching looks awesome with that UV paint!!! :thumb: :thumb:

2. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

use black pen to fill in the nick so its virtually unnoticable.

nice work!

3. phoeneous

phoeneous New Member

UPDATE

Well here it is, the side panel. My girlfriend didnt want a plain square window so it was time to get creative. I didnt want to pay for custom watercutting so I had to come up with a design that I could cut myself with just a jigsaw and a dremel. After finding the dragon tattoo pictured on the first page, I drew an outline of it on the right side of the panel and cut it out. Heres what I came up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filing and sanding is what took the longest, 3 days total. It was a smart investment to pick up a set of needle diamond point files. I had to get in the small crevices of the design to sand it down and file it to accomodate the layout.

Heres the idea I was going for. Ill be etching this design onto the plexi for the side window. Then, just like the top window I will fill it in with the uv pen and light up the dragon with the second ccfl kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First I have to attach the plexi to the side panel using some JBweld or silicone adhesive. This should be my main task for the rest of the week as my sleeving shipment should come in today so I can finally finish the PSU.

Pics later on tonite! :rock:

4. KodiakStar

KodiakStar New Member

Nice work!

5. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Good job dude; your gf should be happy with this :)

6. DoNuT

DoNuT New Member

This looks sweet and so is that idea for the side panel dragon etch between the point metal parts. How much did those needle diamond point files cost?

7. BiG Kahuna

BiG Kahuna New Member

amazing job on the case so far :thumb:
    really looking forward for the next updates :dremel:

8. Silenced`

Silenced` New Member

looking sweet already :naughty:

9. phoeneous

phoeneous New Member

Thx for all the replies everyone. I just found out my order wont be here until Saturday :( SVC couldnt handle their shipping very well over the New Years holiday so now everything is backed up. What a mess :(. Oh well, gives me a couple days to rest and come up with new ideas :)

Mod on.

10. phoeneous

phoeneous New Member

UPDATE

Well my sleeving kit came in yesterday but guess what? ITS THE WRONG COLOR?!! Damn, I cant remember where I bought the first kit :wallbash: . Oh well, gotta keep searching.

Other goodies that came in:

3.5" fan controller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some UV IDE cables

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plexi epoxied to the side panel is drying. Im gonna let it cure for at least 48 hours before removing the books :thumb: :idea: .

[​IMG]

Im gonna be adding a second fan to her PSU but Im not sure how to connect it. There is only one connector there now which is being taken up by the 120mm fan.

[​IMG]

The idea is to add a second fan to blow the hot air out of the back. Similar to this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the pcb that the 120mm fan is currently connected to. Are those other two outlines +12v?? :confused: You can barely see the lettering on it but it says "CON1" and "CON4" along with a "+" and a "-" for each of the two lead holes. Since the 120mm is already connected, Im assuming that pcb has the capability of handling two more +12v devices attached?

[​IMG]

On the back of the pcb, you can see that some solder is already in place. So I guess I can just solder the two wires of the fan straight to this board right?

More pics later tonite.

11. Leeum

Leeum New Member

Cut the cable from the fan that was in and the new fan, simply solder red to red and black to black ;)

12. Anthony

Anthony New Member

You can use cement for those scratches...

13. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Use a multimeter to check what line voltage is there. I couldn't vouch for whether the PSU is up to powereing the second fan but you would think it should be (the guys in the electronics thread would be the place to ask). It looks like they use the same board for several model PSUs.

14. TJK

TJK New Member

are you going to sleeve those round IDE cables? I dont know how the would look with the rest of the wiring color scheme

15. phoeneous

phoeneous New Member

UPDATE

After doing some voltage checks with the good ole` ohmmeter (thats old skool talk kiddies :hehe: ), I was happy to find out that those two lead holes did supply a +12v. So do you know what that means? Time to mod the PSU.

I used my drill with an 80mm holesaw attachment to cut an outline for the fan. There wasnt much room so measurement was crucial.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the PSU was made of steel, not aluminum, which made cutting hard for the hole saw. It didnt even penetrate 1/32"! Luckily I had one more fibre-glass re-enforced cut-off wheel for my dremel. Watch the sparks fly! Oh yeah, dont ask why there is a pair of jeans on my work bench :)

[​IMG]

Some solo camera+dremel action shots! (camera left hand, dremel right hand) (kids, dont try this at home :cooldude: )

[​IMG]

And voila!

[​IMG]

Originally I was going to use this connector and solder the leads after pushing them through the lead holes. Its not as easy as it looks. I ended up just pulling out the leads and soldering them onto the pcb without the plastic connector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hit the juice and bam! it works! :dremel: :clap: :rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the second fan works I went ahead and finished the sleeving on the remaining wires. Luckily Fry's had a a uv blue sleeving kit that was the same color as the ones I started with. Pay no attention to the mismatched heatshrink :duh: :waah: Oh well...

Pretty :)

[​IMG]

Lights off! The ATX, SATA and floppy connectors arent uv but they will soon be replaced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some IDE cable action

[​IMG]

Lights off!

[​IMG]

Tomorrow: Side panel etching begins! :dremel: :clap: :thumb:

Last edited: 9 Jan 2005
  16. Silenced`

Silenced` New Member

looking good man :hip: how mutch is done of the mod ? ( 50 - 60% ? )

grtz,
    Thomaz

17. modding-monkey

modding-monkey New Member

Subscribed

Cool mod man keep it up :thumb:

18. phoeneous

phoeneous New Member

Id say about 75%. I keep coming up with new ideas. My latest idea is a custom lighted footstep mod using aluminum cylinders and perspex.

19. DoNuT

DoNuT New Member

I love this blue. I just got a clear case with five blue LED fans in it and it looks awesome. Where can I get some UV cables?

20. Xhiz

Xhiz New Member

Holy crap!! nice psu!

I really need to do something with my psu sometime :idea:

Great modding :thumb: