1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Ever-So-TightLi (06/01/07 - Project has been shelved)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blackflag, 14 Feb 2007.

1. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

The majority of watercooling parts I got from Franz at IT-Trade in Austria. I purchased them about 6 months before Sharka began stocking these parts in their store.

2. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

and here i was wondering why they spent so much on AACS...

3. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

No real updates to speak of, I didn't get anything done over the long weekend (was spending family time). I did get the new Black Ice GTS rads I ordered so hopefully I can get them in the case soon and fab the mounting brackets.

4. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Some small updates I was able to get done this weekend...

As I mentioned before, I received the 2 Black Ice GTS 120mm radiators. Purdy little twins...

[​IMG]

Now to mount the fans... I replaced the fans' molexes with black ones and sleeved them:

[​IMG]

Triple black :rock:

And the Alphacool pump got the same treatment:

[​IMG]

Next, I attached the fans to the rads with black oxide hex button heads. What you see here is just a quick mock up of how it's going to end up fitting. I just need to get some angle aluminum to make the brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also mentioned that I had ordered some carbon fiber strips to replace the black aluminum strip on the front of the case.

[​IMG]

For whatever reason it took forever to get here, but it's cool because I wouldn't have had time to do much with it anyway. I'm totally digging the look of the CF on the front- the pattern looks schweeeet against the ventilation holes of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if I will keep the power button where it is or move it up above the rads. The rads don't appear to get in the way but I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I've got a Bulgin switch to put in there, so it should look nice against the CF.

I will also put another piece of CF behind the USB/Firewire/Audio ports to finish that off, which will be secured with stainless hex button heads.

With all this going on I didn't get a chance to touch Think Outside the (X)Box this weekend, but I have some things to do to that project and will update it ASAP.

Cheers,

mj

5. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice...
    That CF on front looks great! :thumb:

6. sailorboy

sailorboy What's a Dremel?

Lovely lovely looking work!!

7. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

congrats on the front page :D. Can't wait to see it finished

8. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Wasn't even aware that this little mod made front page. Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

I'm flattered! :blush:

I will have some more done soon (I hope, so long as this little guy lets me).

Cheers,

mj007

9. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

hey congrats on the front page
    that cf strip looks great! good idea looks much better than the plastic that was there before.
    good luck

10. widmod

widmod Minimodder

austria

you live in new york?
    and you get your parts from here?
    that sounds crazy but if you can aford it.... :D

11. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

@widmod:

I typically don't get parts from Austria, it's just that at the time I bought the watercooling stuff, no one in the US was carrying much Aqua Computer gear. Sharka carries most of those items now (like a year later) but even still, they go out of stock frequently and if you want the gear, you have to get it from Germany or Austria or wait months for Sharka to get it. The prices overseas are actually better than Sharka, but you get killed on shipping. It also took like 3 weeks to arrive via DHL which is obviously longer than shipping from California to New York.

12. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Just want to ask, how come you decided to go for the 2 120mm GTS rads when the dual 120mm GTS rad will fit in there.

I have the same case and measured it up and it will seem to fit in there, though its a snug fit.
    I really need to get around to watercooling mine, though i had opted not to have a res to conserve on the space.

Also how come you permantley removed one side of the optical drive cage but not the other side? Or are you planning on removing both and adding more HDD caddies in there.

13. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Looks good, like the carbon fibre strip, might have looked better with the black version of the case tho :)

14. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

@Nix:

I went with the two 120s because the GTS240 is 277mm wide. I had a BIX2 rad sitting around which I used as a mock up before I got the two 120s that is 273.4mm wide and it didnt fit, by like a millimeter. The side panels rubbed on it since the whole chassis is only 280mm wide and the panels themselves are 1.5mm thick each.

Also, there looks to be enough room between the two rads to use the original power button hole (but it will need to be enlarged) if I don't end up moving it towards the top.

I left the one side of the drive cage because I will be mounting the pump vertically there, and wanted the lip to take some of the pressure off the bolts. It may end up getting chopped if it ends up being unnecessary.

I will only be using one hard drive, and it will be at the rear of the chassis where it is intended. One of the nice things about using thinner tubing is that it routes very well, so i will be able to have the loop contain the video cards and only lose one hard drive slot.

@Gordy:

But my Apple Cinema Display is silver, and I'm compulsive like that :)

15. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Ah right, i thought the Rad would of been able to fit in. Though if its needed though you could just file down parts on the side so it fits. Or just remove the segment that blocks the rad. With mine i was going to get the sides remade, so cutting the segment out of the main chassis wouldnt of mattered.

Sadly though the whole project is had to be put on hold due to me being unemployed which never helps. Though im currently working on a design which would be slightly wider then the v300 but half the height, based around a Mini-Itx board.

Are you planning on having the slim drive coming out of the front or out of the side?

16. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Hey nice little mod you're doing there! I love the looks of that case and I'm sure it will be perfect for lanparties. I've been thinking of modding the Lian Li PC343B but I guess that case is a little bit too big :hehe:
    Grats on the frontpage article, my mod is in there too :cooldude:

17. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

A suggestion you might want to look into mj is something concerning the removable mobo tray. With my V300 i get a slight rattle which comes up every now and again, i think its mainly due to the mobo not being screwed down on inside part on the edge of the tray. Im not sure if its just my case that does it.

18. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Fair enough that makes sense :)

19. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Gordy your from Bristol UK?

20. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I can see how that might happen- it seems rattle prone to me on mine too. I will most likely use some sound dampening foam under the tray to stop any noise from occurring. I've got 2 possibilities on the drive location. We'll see which works out better. That's all I'll say about that for now :idea: .

@Koradhil: I'd love to get my hands on that PC343B. What a massive blank canvas... so much potential it makes me drool. If I hadn't bought my V2000 a while back as my server case, I'd probably be picking one up. As it is now, I have 11 hard drives in it (added 2 more 500GB in RAID-1 for additional space for TV rips) and having the capacity for 30 drives is sweet.

I actually was reading your log this morning- nice work thus far on the blocks and I like the top rad grill- looks nifty with the UV plex.

Tags: