1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Evil Inc. [26.11.2006]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Evil-Inc-UK, 25 Sep 2006.

1. Evil-Inc-UK

Evil-Inc-UK What's a Dremel?

:rock: Hi Guys :rock:

Project = Evil Inc.

Case = THERMALTAKE XASERIII LANFIRE VM1000A

Mission = make it worth the money i paid all those years ago.

http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/lanfire/vm1000a.htm For Specs

[​IMG]

As we all know and I didn’t back when i brought it quite a few years ago the thermaltake lanfire isn’t all that good for putting a load of hardware in and keeping everything looking good. So I decided to do something about the look of the case and the cooling as I have always try to keep the coldest case on the block so to speak probably a main reason I had a cold every winter without fail, anyway over the years i have made a number of modifications to the case which I want to show everyone however keep in mind that the case is still not finished as I am not a rich man lol and I am also currently using it for my primary system. So I will get on with it :idea:

Customisations to Date:

1. Front 80mm Fan Blowhole Cut to 120mm for Better Air Intake.
    (No Pics) Dont even think i had it out of the box more than 10minutes b4 the first holes were marked up.

2. 2x 80mm Fan Top Blowhole.
    [​IMG]

3. 2x Custom Top UV Reactive Green Windows.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Thermaltake EL Flash Fireball Replaced With Mesh.
    [​IMG]

Probably the best pic i have at the moment of the 120mm mod not that theres much to see anyway. Seen one standard fan mod seem em all.
    [​IMG]

5. Mesh Side Panel Installed Replacing Stock Thermaltake Window.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all i have so far however i am half way through making a new top window (and hopefully the last one) not to mention spray painting the interior of the case.

:dremel: Comments & Suggestions Wanted :dremel:

Last edited: 26 Nov 2006
  2. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Welcome to the forum! :dremel:

Yeah, that's an ugly case imo, but already 50% better for your couple mods so far! :thumb:

Suggestion: color. the blue cpu cooler led plus green plexi plus red front accents. You should definately change something there.

what hardware are you running/planning to add?

3. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

the mesh is sweet but prolly loud

4. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

all Xaser innards are gross, i dont even know why they put windows on them. i sugest you put the pleix back and tint it wiht like 90% light blocking tint lol and get rid of all those hrrible X logos ><
    your doing good so far, so keep it up :)

5. Evil-Inc-UK

well so far everyone has confirmed what i thought the lanfire is a bad case but im not gonna throw it out lol paid good money for it. however the planned mods i have should make the case alot better to look at and more practical im not going into details at this point but if all goes well be ready to see:

1. New Top Window
    2. New Paint Job internal & front accents
    3. New Hard Drive Caddy
    4. New Colour Scheme

To name just a few ideas i have for it (i did say at the start this case wasnt finished lol its just a matter of time and money to Implement them)

6. Evil-Inc-UK

Yea it is at the moment but not that bad i have heard far worse in my life, however i havent designed this case for loud high end gaming hardware so once my cube server project is completed my main rig hardware will be in that and this case will be used as a quiet workstation for general use designed to run quietly as possible seeing as pretty much the only thing making all that noise is my graphics card in the first place i should be fine lol.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nice so far, but I ain't getting nekkid for free, y'know.

8. Evil-Inc-UK

lol probably should have seen that one coming really

v funny.

9. Evil-Inc-UK

New Top Window

Well the new top window has been for the most part done yet I have no window moulding at the moment to attach it to the case and the hole in the case will have to be cut larger so here is what I have so far.

Weapon of choice once again is the dremel. The design I found on the net printed on sticky envelope address labels to attach it to the protective cover of the UV green acrylic so no chance of it slipping off and reducing my chances of making a mistake its days like this I wish I had a laser cutter lol
    [​IMG]

Main load of engraving finished.
    [​IMG]

The new window on top of the case (not attached) but just to give you the idea of what it should look like when it is all finished.
    [​IMG]

Closer look of my work still not completely finished I may polish it up a little and make some deeper cuts in areas before installing it but for the most part this is what I have finished up with, not bad I think as it is my first attempt at engraving acrylic.
    [​IMG]

After the installation of this window I think it sets out the colour scheme I am going for and its green all green;

- All green led fans
    - Green UV reactive braiding for cables
    - Front accents painted green
    - Heatsink & fan either changed or replace led's for green ones
    - UV cathodes installed
    - Sprayed black interior

10. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Although im not really a fan of that particular case, you have hugely improved its looks and the green plexi etch thing on top looks ace! Good luck with this mod as many people will doubt its possible to make that case looks sweet, so far you have proved em' wrong :clap:

11. Evil-Inc-UK

Cheers lol its no problem i dont think anyone is really a fan of these cases however most of the original thermaltake series were an aquired taste i think some ppl like em everyone else hates em.

12. Evil-Inc-UK

UPDATE

Im currently working on the new hard drive caddy so far so good no pictures at the moment but will be posted soon as it is completed and i know it fits properly lol, also i have isolated the main noise maker in my case which turned out to be the front 120mm thermaltake fan even on low it is more noisy than the rest of the case (which isnt all that loud in the first place) but as i have mesh side panel now i can afford to not have it running all the time when not needed (not playing game or anything like that) so i have installed a switch to competely turn it off and on which i mounted on the top of the case i also will include this in the next round of pictures.

:dremel: Next update should be here by the weekend :dremel:

13. Evil-Inc-UK

New Toy

Ok so no finished hard drive caddy at the moment however it is due for a quick update and the only thing i can think of is to show my new weapon in the arsenal i got today. Cheap, cheerful and should do the job for working on acrylic and with luck i should be getting my very own bandsaw come xmas time. :thumb:

[​IMG]

14. Evil-Inc-UK

10.10.2006 Update

Just a quick post of the top window again this time with a bit more cable management from the last ones.

[​IMG]

Im still looking for more comments on this case so far, I know it's not very popular case model, but i didnt want to mod a case that everyone and his brother has already done.

15. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

is it just me or is the left side of the top window reeely crooked?? , mabe sand that with a sanding block with 60 grit till its straight, and work back to 400 to restore a smooth crisp cut? :p anyhow looks good so far, mabe paint that red aluminum part on the X green to match your theme, the red in the front dosnt match. Also try to get all the tacky X logo's off that case

16. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Nice job so far, I like that etching on top, definitely an improvement on a otherwise tacky case. Good luck, I'll be watching this one.

17. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I noticed it aswell. :eek:

18. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

if i read correctly, he's not installed the window yet and it will be attached to the inside of the case. if so, the edge finish is irrelevant
    good job, just get rid of the red when using the green plexi, it looks like a radioactive christmas!

19. Evil-Inc-UK

thanks guys for the replies yea the window is going inside the case and i should have mentioned that as i knew ppl would see the bad cut i made on the window it was a off cut anyway lol im still looking for somewhere to get some window moulding from with the locking strip thing in the uk it seems very difficult to get online at least anyone got any ideas i wouldnt normally want to use that stuff but this time i do at least for the moment. I do plan on painting the front red accents green or maybe all black at the from with a different custom logo if i can work out how to go about removing the one already there without damaging the rest of it.

O and i know that you cant see because it is too dark but there is now a switch right at the back of the top panel which turns on and off the front 120mm intake fan completely as it can be quite noisy when watching a film and stuff on the tv.

20. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Dark Lord of BT!

I just hate the whole front panel on Xaser cases. Change it.