1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Evo 3 - Cooler Master 840 ATCS LC Worklog - Updated 12th September

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mav2000, 3 Aug 2011.

1. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

[​IMG]

Its been a couple of months since Evo 2 was completed (link in my sig). Even though I was pretty happy with how it all turned out, somewhere I was just not happy with the case itself. The HAF X is a great case, but its a bit too industrial in its looks. While I could manage a lot of mods on the inside, there was not much I could do for the outside.

Life being what it is, I have been busy with a new job and some more responsibilities and even though I did have a plan to work with an 840 ATCS when ever I got the chance, I just didnt follow up on it. The 840 ATCS has been one of my dream cases for a long time. I have followed a lot of builds with this case and the amount of space, the finish and the overall lines have always kept me mesmerized and it was one case that I was sure of from the moment I saw it.

Well a few days ago, I called the regional distributor, and while talking about a couple of things I found out that there is only one 840 ATCS available in my country now and that has some issues with the side panel. I thought about it and my love for the case over rode all other considerations and within a few hours I had decided to go ahead with the purchase (at a great price), with the assurance that the side panel would be replaced. So, last evening I got the beast home and this is where it all begins.

Some of the parts that I have ordered over the last few days have arrived and some are still on the way. But here is a list of parts that I am going to be working with:

Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V 990FX
    CPU - AMD Phenom II 1090T, will be changed to Bulldozer once it arrives
    Ram - Super Talent Chrome 2000 Mhz CL8, may change to Gskill 2133 CL 9 depending on which one clocks better for me once BD is in
    GPU - Powercolor 6950 Unlocked to 6970 :drum:
    PSU- ANTEC HCP 850 :eek:
    Storage - 1 x120 GB OCZ Vertex 2, 1 X 2 TB Seagate 7200.12
    Controller - Alphacool Heatmaster, very under rated controller and works beautifully with Windows 7 64 bit. Can run 4 pumps without the need for an extra module

On to the watercooling parts:

CPU Block - EK Supreme with easy mount
    GPU Block - EK 6970 EN Nickel/Plexi Version
    Radiators - Black Ice GTX 360 and Black Ice GTS 240
    Pump - Swiftech MCP 355
    Tubing - Primochill Black 7/16" / 5/8"
    Fittings - Bitspower Silver Compression Fittings and a whole lot of other bits and pieces
    Fans - Scythe Gentle Typhoons GT 15 for the rads. Have also ordered some 2150's, but thats going to take some time.
    Res - Well, this is still to be decided, as I need to figure out if I need a bay res or a tube res. I have an EK 150 tube res with me right now, but I dont know if it will work as well as I want it to.

On the mods front, I have a lot of ideas and I hope to have some of them done, while others may not be possible at this time.

I hope to keep you entertained and I also hope to get a lot of inputs from you guys as the mods go on. Thanks for reading and I will leave you with some pics to start with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  2. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

First post must contain actual work in progress:p Get moving:D

3. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Will do that soon....any ideas on how to take the top I/O panel off?

4. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

isnt it screwed from underneath?

5. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Got it....work in progress...thanks.

6. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Let the mods begin. To start with I had to disassemble the bottom of the case to remove the HDD bays....but why? Well to cut it. My trusty drill came into play right away:

[​IMG]

Once out, I used the dremel tool to cut around three HDD bays off. Trust me when I say a dremel is a lot more useful on aluminium. I didnt even use 1/4" of a cutting wheel.

Then put it back to see if it fits well:

[​IMG]

Looks fine now. then tested if the rad fit. Well it didnt, so redid a bit of cutting and then it fits very well:

[​IMG]

SO there we have the bottom rad in place, but you dont see any expensive brackets do you?? Well this is what I have used to mount them:

[​IMG]

So well, that ends that for now. the risers will help to attach the rad to the bottom 120 location.

[​IMG]

The fans will be on top of the rad, pulling air in from the bottom. I hope that explains that.

Next up, we have to disassemble the entire motherboard tray, out with the drill and its done in no time:

[​IMG]

Then I went to work on the entire case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now its ready and packed for taking to the powder coaters.

[​IMG]

And how can I forget my trusty tools:

[​IMG]

Well, thats it for this update...see you guys soon. Next up we will be working on sleeving the front panel connectors fully. MDPC Cheesecake.

7. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Update:

Just got a call from the powder coaters, the work is complete, will be leaving in a little while to pick it up...

When I dropped it off he told me its going to be expensive as its a single piece and more like job work than a large order. Well he has sent me a bill and it costs all of USD 6.75.....and I was wondering what he meant by expensive. Well, basically if I wanted to do the same color and do about 10 cases, he would charge me around 4.5 dollars per case.

8. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Lol thats cheap:D but... PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN :D

Clever way of mounting the radiator. Dont think i have seen that done before lol:D

9. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

SO as promised, here is some sleeving goodness...got to doing the front panel wires, and removed a few in the process. I really dont require an Esata and front panel audio headers...so thats gone now..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And back in the box it goes ....for now..

10. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

And here are the pics of the powdercoating work. It's going to be a darkish white, a bit greyish, but more white in the right light...also made sure to get a wrinkled finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The powder coating adds a bit of weight and strength to the otherwise fragile aluminium...hope you like it.

11. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

No love.....:(

Well, I need some help guys. Actually I need some help on two things. One is anyone use a Bay res, and how noisy is it? and how easy to fit? I am planning an EK dual bay res or XSPC dual with pump top integrated in the front, but am worried about noise isolation. The other idea is to use an EK tube res and clamp it to the 3 1/2" drive bays...any ideas on this would be awesome.

Second, I need a nice classy design for the side panel...any help there would be really awesome..

12. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

You might want to try a Swiftech micro res, if they're available in India.

13. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Thanks man, there is no watercoooling in India, thats that. Bottom line, everything has to be shipped in.

Well, more ideas on the res please...would really help.

14. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

So we start off on the RED carbon fiber....

[​IMG]

Heating it up and making it work on the curves..

[​IMG]

Some cutting and finishing done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now have to work to get the mobo stand offs in and am waiting on the rivets and the PSU to reach me...then more work will start. Sorry for the grainy pics, it was quite late when I finished.

15. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

The PSU came in today and am quite happy about it. Got a cheap PSU tester as well. Will add pics of that once I get home:

[​IMG]

Comes packed in a felt like bag...no damage, no scratches so thats what counts. Its a nice hefty unit for sure.

[​IMG]

For some reason I seem to like this name plate at the back. It seems to be made of metal.

[​IMG]

Nice sized 140mm fan. Quite to boot.

[​IMG]

This is probably the first PSU I have used which have all the four rails properly marked out. It helps when you want to load the PSU the right way rather than have most things on a single rail.

[​IMG]

Wow, thats a lot of connectors. I may use only a few of them anyway. There are a total of 6 6/8 Pin connectors on this unit. Thats quite a bit of power. Theres also an extra 8 pin for the Mobo, along with a fixed 8 Pin. Impressive.

[​IMG]

Well, this is where my sleeving problem lies:

[​IMG]

I am finding it hard to sleeve those joints as the heatshrink is bound to be a bit thick around that part and also painful to put back in the connector...any ideas?

16. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

On with my update for the day. I spent a lot of time trying to get the heatshrink right this time...I must have wasted half the heatshrink I got. But its still not where I want it to be, but much better than my previous attempts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you enjoy this update...

17. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Ok its update time for you guys:

First up, a new package from MDPC...love the cartoons man:

[​IMG]

Wonder what we have in here:

Special rivets from the house of MDPC and special pre order m4 X 30 mm screws, as well as a set of the molex pin remover peeking in from the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So lets start by putting the case back together again. this was my first time with the rivet gun and the crack sound it made kind of scared me as I thought I had broken something...after the first surprise everything went smoothly enough. I didnt have any chipped paint or discoloration on the rivets as well....so all in all a happy day of modding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^ mobo tray

[​IMG]

Waiting in a line...

[​IMG]

Top panel done

[​IMG]

And the footware back in place...

Last edited: 17 Aug 2011
  18. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

I love the red carbon fiber mobo tray.

19. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Thanks man....

Well road blocks and frustration is marring this build for me right now...

First I got the wrong water block, but it was not my fault...then the guys that sent it to me took very long to figure out how the want to sort this out...so now the block is on its way back and it will take atleast another 20 - 30 days before a new block comes...

Second, my heatmaster is not working...dont know why, but its stuck at an orange light and am waiting for the company to get back to me...

Third, I am trying very hard to finish the 6 pin PCIE cables, but trust me crmping and redoing the wires without all the right parts is not so easy...have finished quite a few, but am still to finish it.

Then my fan 2 to 1 extensions turned out to be wrongly made....cant blame anyone, deal xtreme is known for Chinese no quality goods...re wiring them got me so frustrated that i kind of broke all the pins in frustration....

AFter that, my existing res will not fit.....

so all in all its been quite a frustrating week or two.

Am off for a vacation this week end and may pick up some parts while there...I guess its what the doctor ordered, as working in this mood is not going to take me very far.....on hold for a week or two now, though I will have a few updates before I leave...

20. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Ok, quick update from a little earlier...got everything back together again..I was very worried about riveting, but its really probably the easiest thing to do:

First up, changed out the front fan for two RED led fans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some little cable management work:

[​IMG]

And some general pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]