1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Evo 3 - Cooler Master 840 ATCS LC Worklog - Updated 12th September

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mav2000, 3 Aug 2011.

1. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

I don't know! The mobo tray looks great but I just can't help thinking something is missing from the mobo tray, just tried a few terrible ideas in photoshop so maybe i'm wrong but maybe EVO 3 written in black carbon film where the tray is exposed.

Also im thinking of buying this case on wednesday provided my components are in stock also, im considering painting the inside of the case either frozen white or a matt black, how easy/hard would you think the ball bearings from the motherboard tray would be to cover up.

2. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Dont bother painting the ball bearings on the case or the slider part on the tray. I had to actually take a screwdriver and remove the paint on the ball bearing part and the slider on the mobo tray so that it would work smoothly again. I mucked up there as I didnt have an idea that this was going to be a potential issue when I sent it in for powder coating. Take off all four rails, 2 on the mobo tray and 2 on the case before sending it in for coating...hope that helps.

3. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Thanks guys...Here is the rest of the work that happened during the weekend:

This guy is going to get a nice cover soon...so take a long look at him:

[​IMG]

Front XSPC Bay res added:

[​IMG]

Does not match the rest of the front exactly and I may need to work on a front panel soon....Or I may make a new cover for the res. The silver screws will be going as well. The screws have to match the rest of the build, so silver bolt heads will not work.

Sata power cables done...this is probably more difficult to do then a 24 pin...man it was hard....

[​IMG]

I have kept them a bit long to be able to change things around if required. The Sata data cable seems to look not so good...any ideas guys? The sleeve seems to be a bit too stretched..

and some tubing runs for testing...

[​IMG]

The 5 way at the rad entry serves as a point to check water temps and also as a drain port...

4. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

The SATA sleeving looks fine near the mobo tray. What it looks like in the back does not matter.

5. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

I think its a bit strec=tched. I will try again, even though I know its at the back....

6. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Well, looks like I hit a road bump again...I dont think I am going to get the heatmaster back..looks like its not in stock at where I bought it from, though it was there when I sent it back for RMA...anyway I may get the money back on it in a few days. I was wondering if the FC5V2 is the way to go. Ofcourse I cannot control the pump anymore, but its more or less silent. I guess I will have to go back to a fan controller for now...

7. Fuganater

8. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Thanks...that was helpful...I am going ahead with it as I dont have a choice anymore and thats probably the best controller I can get locally. I wish the aquacomputer one was cheaper...but then thats how it is.

9. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Well, I started work on the PSU cover yesterday. Got some black acrylic lying around from my previous project. SO did some cutting and heres where we ended up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The all powerful B&D RTX.....it cuts acrylic at low speeds very very easily...

[​IMG]

After some filing and sanding on the sides:

[​IMG]

And installed:

[​IMG]

I may spend some more time to get the edges a bit better...

The whole idea of doing this is to cover up the PSU, but at the same time I want things to be easily accessible as and when required. I am still thinking of some more ideas here...

And just in case I didn't post a pic of the 6 pins before:

[​IMG]

Unluckily I take most of my pics at night, so some of the pics kind of suck...

10. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

No replies?? No suggestions??

11. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Could do with a better view of the psu cover, but do try and give people time to breath before asking for replies :) sleeving looks good btw

12. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Thanks Red..

UPDATE TIME:

Got my Lapmtron FC5V2...quite a solid piece of equipment:

[​IMG]

First up, sleeve the power cable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I needed to make some 2-1 cables for the fans...well I had some ready, they just looked like crap, so redid the sleeving. AFter redoing I realised that the sleeving is a bit short as the number of wires going to the single plug is 6 and that kind of makes it thick, reducing the length of the sleeve.

[​IMG]

The second one came out better, but I dont have a pic....anyway looks much better than the original. I also cut of the blue wire, as thats for PWM and for some reason would not allow the fan connected to work. Cutting that wire made it all right.

The one on top is the redone one BTW.

And installed:

[​IMG]

Looks nice and the color is perfect.

And some general shots to finish the update:

[​IMG]

Lots of work left to be done...specially cable management..

And another pic, clearer one of the PSU cover.

[​IMG]

13. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

I've just swapped a cooler master test bench for this case (plus some pennies) so I'm really glas you posted the picture below.

I know the case is home to two ma-who-sive exhaust fans on the top and the mesh is designed around them, but when you add the radiator and fans I don't like the mesh. I'm searching for mesh so that I can replace it! :)

And the psu cover looks ok, although in the spirit of modding the psu's warranty is already void so maybe just paint it :D

14. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Well, I could just take the stickers off, but this is probably the cleaner way out for me..

15. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

here is what we have done with the rear. Removed all the ugly silver screws and replaced them with nice matt black 6/32 screws throughout, including the PSU:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And cleaned up the XSPC screws as well, changed to the same screws as above.

[​IMG]

The XSPC front panel will be redone and changed in due course.....some cutting and cleaning required once I get a new side panel done.

16. Fuganater

Too bad your rad is at the bottom of the case or you could have slid the psu cover over to hide the cables.

17. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Sad news....had an accident today, a bus rammed me from behind as I had to brake quickly to avoid a couple on a motor cycle who in turn had to break suddenly because some idiot without a helmet decided to cut across the road at break neck speed....I seem to have a bit of pain on my neck, but otherwise ok.

My poor car has been damaged on the rear and side because of this idiot. Luckily I was in the city and must have been travelling at around 30-40 km/h when this happened. And luckily the couple on the motor cycle in front did not get hit....

I then had to spend more than an hour at the local police station to get a complaint filed for insurance....just left the car off at the garage...no car for a few days now.

[​IMG]

Broke the rear tail light, rear bumper is a goner...also the rear bottom panel and rear side panel and door panel have got hit....

[​IMG]

18. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

First, started to work on managing the cables. This is an older cabby, so none of the rubber mouldings to hide wires for us. SO need to work with P clips..this is the bottom rad fans, chipping in with some extra work.

[​IMG]

Just posting this one up, cause there was a nice smoke effect...from my smoking: (got to quit man...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Redid the 24 pin clips, so that it looks a little mroe uniform:

[​IMG]

Only wires left to sleeve and a look at the carbon finish:

[​IMG]

General shot:

[​IMG]

The fittings will not sit on the water block on the rear side as it fouls with the card...so had to get a small extender. ALso notice, the card edges are now black...

[​IMG]

USB cable sleeving:

[​IMG]

The screws will be changed to others soon.

Remember the last time I posted a pic of the 6 Pins...removed the writing on the connectors now:

[​IMG]

Another look at the GPU block fittings setup:

[​IMG]

Thats around 34 USD in fittings right there...expensive hobby

My favourite Ram modules...maybe changed to something else soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the right side you can see the single 4 Pin molex with the P clips...

CPU Block...I wish EK made a better looking mount for the Supreme, specifically for AMD....

[​IMG]

Drain Port and cable management...much cleaner now:

[​IMG]

And is it stands:

[​IMG]

Things to be done....

1. Improve PSU cover plate...maybe a logo, lets see
    2. Side panel work...still working on a clean design
    3. Front panel, XSPC cover
    4. 5 1/4" Bay area cover...need some ideas here. There is a screw holding down the aluminium strut here...am puzzled as to how to cover this area and make it cleaner looking.
    5. Waiting on new fans...

19. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Guys, I need some help with trying to make a plate for the 5 1/4" bays. Basic idea is a white, covered with a opaque black plate with a design in it. I want the white part to be lit, so that it glows thru the design on the black part.

Now I am having trouble trying to get a glow on the white part. Basically, it shows the individual SMD's or LED's depending on what I use, even with sanding. ANy way to get around this?

This is something like the mid plates of TJ07 builds.

20. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Anyone...?