1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Evolutionary

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 29 Nov 2006.

1. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

That's some pretty innovative work. Very nice.

2. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

looks good man... keep it up. why not make a different design ther then the straight bar design?

Just a suggestion...

3. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

No, I will leave it like this and that's because they have to match with the outtakes on top of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Dec 2007
  4. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

It's summer in the Netherlands but last few weeks I,ve only seen rain. But not the last days :clap: I can work outside again, much easier working on the sidepanel outside. No molds this time just some glass. Put on some moldingwax and clean it with a cloth. Ready for some polyester action. Put some resin on the glass first

[​IMG]

Put on the first layer and use a roller to smoothen it.

[​IMG]

The fiber glass on this picture is a special fabric that is for the surface. The endresult will be very smooth. This was the first layer. After this I added 5 more layers of the normal fiber glass.

[​IMG]

The result was just as smooth as I wanted it to be. Does not need much work to finish the surface later on for a paintjob. Made two big holes with my Dremel for the air intakes.

[​IMG]

And with the intakes in place.

[​IMG]

More close ups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The intakes and the sidepanel wil be glued together and I will use some bondo between the panel and the intakes.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow looks really good

6. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

I agree! Excellent Work!!

7. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Everything is going smoothly at the moment. I can't show you much new stuff, but that doesn't mean I did not do much. I finished the second and third "fingerguard" for the outtakes for instance. A lot of work but you know what it looks like. Also opened the airintakes so I can start working on the acrylic pieces that will be mounted in there.

[​IMG]

I also did some work on the acrylic that will lead the air from the radiator to the outtakes on top of the case.

[​IMG]

The acrylic ( with the tape still on ) had to be cut at the top so the lid will fit over.

[​IMG]

There is still some tape on the clear acrylic, but that will be removed ofcourse. When removed it will be possible to see through the airduct into the top of the case.

[​IMG]

That's not what I want, because I want to use that space to hide cables and some other stuff. So in order to make it almost impossible to look into the case and see the cables I will cover the duct with some black mesh.

[​IMG]

Bending the mesh first to fit the tube.

[​IMG]

Looks good. It's almost ready to be cut in the same shape as the acrylic.

[​IMG]

Next thing I can show you is my design of the logo.

[​IMG]

The logo will not be flat but 3-dimensional and I think I will also add some lighting from behind.

8. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Amazing work with fibreglass! :jawdrop:

I know what you mean about the rain recently - same in London, its been non-stop. At least it helps with the wet sanding! :D

9. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Well I've never posted in your thread as I've never found anything to add to what other people were saying. But, I figured that I would at least tell you I've been watching it since I joined bit-tech in March. I always look forward to your next trick.

I especially like that you've started with a basically rectangular box and made it extremely unique. And that everything that is unique is actually functional and not just tacked on. Definitely a first class job! Can't wait to see more!

10. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

wow! brilliant work. I like your fibreglass work, I would like to do something in that later on, so I'll be watching this to the end :D Keep going, your working hard.

11. Predatator295

Predatator295 What's a Dremel?

Great job, I expect the new update will be full on news (sorry for my english... I'm french)

12. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Waiting for some materials from AC Ryan, so I had some time for brainstorming on the logo. I want a simple logo, so I'm not going to use the whole word Evolutionary, just the first three letters E, V and the O. An other thing I wanted to do is making it different from the usual logos. I took some mdf, acrylic and aluminium ( leftover from the Lian Li case from my finished casemod ) and started cutting out the letters.
    The E and the V from mdf and acrylic, the O from aluminium.

[​IMG]

The acrylic on top of the mdf.

[​IMG]

The mdf from the E had to be carved, so it will fit over the V.

[​IMG]

Not finished yet, the mdf will be painted and the acrylic will be sanded, but this is what it will look like.

[​IMG]

When finished, it will be mounted on a black surface and some leds will bring some light from behind.

[​IMG]

13. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Thats one hot logo dude!! Cant wait to see the LED effect.

14. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

You will have to wait quite a long time to see the effects, because that's about one of the last things I will do. Sorry.
    A while ago, I posted a sketch from the powerbutton with the activity leds. Today I started working on this thing. It will look a lot like the drawing but it will not be exactly the same.

[​IMG]

The aluminium, a piece left from a Lian Li casemod, was already finished. I will only need to cut a hole in the big circle for the button to fit in later on. The frosted white acrylic will have to fit in the button. I wnat to light the thing up from behind, that's why I used the frosted acrylic.

[​IMG]

It's not that easy to get the acrylic fit into the button. But now it's almost finished. The last bit I will do by sanding it.

[​IMG]

15. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

the logo and the button set are excellent.

16. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

wow! The power button is amazing! Whats the size of it?

17. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Nice buttons, handmade or machined?

18. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Your extremely talented. Fantastic work.

19. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

As usual, a really good mod, and a really good amount of explanation!
    I'm reading your worklog to learn some techiniques to work with fiberglass, and the idea to have the center of the mould to press the fabric is fantastic!
    Tnx a lot for the time that you spend with your explanation, really tnx a lot!
    BTW, good progress for this project, but the power button is amazing!
    On the other side, the logo imho is too protunding, but I wait to see it in place before say more...

20. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Great logo and front panel franklin - what do you use to draw out and make your cuts? They looked machined!
    Or do you just have a very steady hand? :)