1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

:: project exspherement

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by emuexplosion, 22 Jul 2003.

1. emuexplosion

emuexplosion What's a Dremel?

Good day,

I wasn't going to post this until it was finished, but I really need someone to tell me if this looks okay. So, be nice. I need some lov'n. Another reason I'm doing this is to gather my thoughts, so I don't leave anything out, and I have kind of a schedule to follow. Enjoy.

Hardware

P4 2.4 @ 2.9
    Soyo Dragon Ultra Platium Edition
    1gig Mushkin DDR
    ATi 9700 Pro
    (more details later)

Concept

Well, you know everytime you start a mod, you need something to go off of. I was watching monster garage, and then american choppers right after that, and I thought to myself, I need to build a case. Yes. A Case... So, I thought of all the cool cases I've seen, and then I thought of all the cool cases I haven't seen. I decided that I needed to do something that I haven't seen before, so I did.

Thus, project exspherement was created.

I wanted a cool color, so I am going with the purple/gold color shifting paint, and all white/purple LEDs. That should do the trick, purple LEDs aren't common.

Objectives

You might think I'm crazy, but I have to finish this project by the 27th. So, that is my main objective. Get it done.

Completed

[00000000000000000000] - 20%

Things to Do

1. Finish Fiberglassing
    2. Finalize the base (cut fan holes/psu)
    3. Solder all LEDs to resistors
    4. Learn to wire the VFD (128x64 800) (help!, i don't understand the datasheet)
    5. Wire everything.. (using two 300w psus, instead of one big one)
    6. Solder LEDs
    7. Develop the hinge/latching system
    8. Paint paint paint.. (and let dry for 24+ hours..)
      [/list=1]

I most likely forgot like.. I don't know 20 things already, but that's why I created this thread, so it will keep me on track.

Onwards

I know most of you want the pictures, so.. feed up.

Enjoy.

Oh, and yes, that is me. That is me when I'm stressed. Very. I'm not going to bother to cut me out anyways. I don't care. I'm running out of time.

Pictures

[​IMG]

OOOOHHHH.. now the name relates right? Yes.. That sphere is from a Christmas store. They supply cites those balls, that range from 12 to 24in in diameter, you put bears and stuff in there for the very very large trees they have. The ball was 30 gauge pvc, which is really really flexiable, so I had to fiberglass.

[​IMG]

Who is that? Teehee. That's the stuff. Nasty stuff.

[​IMG]

One is finished. It went from soft plastic to harder than rock in less than 2 hours.

<<<INSERT 2 DAYS HERE>>> (didn't take pics, sorry.. :wallbash: )

[​IMG]

So, that's it. The monster of a case. It stands tall in all its glory. It will soon change from that into a finished case.

[​IMG]

Another angle of it. That shows one of the PSUs. I am running the bare computer and the cpu fan on one PSU. Then, I'm running the vfd, LEDs, case fans, LCD on the other.

PANIC TIME

So, in 2 days, the umm.. 23rd, my vfd and LCD comes in. I would like have VFD stuff prewired, so it's ready to go when it gets here. LCD is a 7in (2400x480px) car LCD.

[​IMG]

That is who I bought it from, so I didn't just rip a picture.

Until Next Time

I don't know what I am going to do.. but I am going to be doing something.

-emu

(and I know it is crazy, but I WILL FINISH.. I WILL I WILL.. come on, say it.. you willl.. you will.. - thanks)

2. fjr0122

fjr0122 What's a Dremel?

Sweet!
    Fiberglassing and globes and forms :D

Watching those two shows is definitely dangerous for DIY and modding types!

looks like the bottom could already hold a computer though. Actually the bottom looks like a great computer all on it's on. :D

Where are your displays gonna be located?

What will be the purpose of this computer?

You know you could have added color into the resin then it wouldnt need painting....

Should be a cool case I like it so far (except being really big and not solving any immediate problem).

3. emuexplosion

The point of the computer is for a C3, if you know what that is. Design computer thingy at CPL in Dallas.

Displays.. VFD one of the side panels that are angled, the LCD inside the sphere, when the sphere is open, you will be able to flip the LCD down.

Size, my goodness, I know it's huge. Not pratical at all. But, size isn't a factor in this contest.

Color in the resin work have worked, but not the way I had wanted it to.. inside the sphere, I will paint it with the spray stone stuff, so it has texture.

Should be cool.. and if it isn't.. all the parts I got will go into a more practical cube maybe? Not sure, spent way over budget on this one. Oh well.

Thanks..

-emu

4. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Can't wait to see the progress....

Keep us posted. I like your idea.........:cooldude:

I take it you are going to light it up like a Christmas tree..?

5. emuexplosion

Ooooooo yes..

I love lights. I like things to be bright. So hopefully it will turn out well.. and all that jazz.

Update

I just finished 3 of the side panels of the pyramid, cutting holes and whatnot for the 120mm fans that are going in there. I also got half of the final fiberglassing done.

Question - Is x3, 120mm fans, doing 85 CFM too much?

I am working against the laws of whatever you want to call it, I'm trying to suck the air out from the bottom.

Anywho, more updates after I get off work, today will include, preping VFD panel, cutting slots for PSUs, and painting the base, I hope.

-emu