1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Extreme Air - Updated: 16th October, Better Final Pics + News

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zero_Limits, 30 May 2007.

1. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

WOW!!!! Front page honours, what can I say…. Thanks!!! On top of all the great comments on here that just really makes it all so much more worth it!

So far the only thing I have regretted about this whole project is not ordering enough caffeine products. I’m all out with a few days to go till xLAN and a lot of work to do. Still I haven’t worked this hard to stop now.

Here’s a bit of an update as to what I have been doing while not on bit-tech. As well as some pics to fill the gap of what went on before the pic in my last post.

This pic shows the case after 2 layers of fibre glass. This was done in a couple of stages which involved coving the centre section first followed by each tube separately.

[​IMG]

This is the case with all the foam I spend so long shaping carved out of the centre of it. Next to the case is most of the pile of dust from this. I ran out of acetone so was unable to melt it out. I think carving using a brass wire brush on a drill gave me a cleaner finish anyway.

[​IMG]

The hollowed out case looking in one intake right through and out the other.

[​IMG]

Another view of the hollowed out case.

[​IMG]

As you could imagine the case was a tad flexible with only 2 layers of fibre glass (although it did surprise me how strong it was) so next step was to add a layer of core matt followed by another layer of glass. The core matt is about 3mm this and is sort of like a foam matt which just absorbs a large amount of resin to add stiffness.

[​IMG]

After that I made up the tubes for the vents. These were shaped out of foam then I layed out a flat sheet of glass core matt and another layer of glass. Next I rolled the foam tube up in the flat which was still wet then wrapped the whole thing tightly in glad wrap (clear plastic wrap stuff for like sandwiches and things, every country has a different name for it) I carefully cut the holes in the case for them to fit into and glued them in with 5min epoxy. Lastly I added a bit of fibre glass on the inside to firmly hold them in place. You can also see in this pic where I have added a layer of core matt to the intake tubes.

[​IMG]

I took a bit of a break from all the fibre glassing and filling and started working on some of the internals. Not much to describe here, just cutting and folding some 2mm aluminium sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit of filling and sanding on the case as well as adding a surround on the intakes the case looked like this. (same pic as in my previous post)

[​IMG]

Again I took a little break from the filling and sanding for some quality time with the dremel and angle grinder. I modified a back panel from an old pc case to use on the internals of this case. This is before.

[​IMG]

This is will all the un-needed bit chopped off.

[​IMG]

Something that wasn’t included in the drawings but I had thought of not long after I started building was a place for the power and DVI cables for the monitor to come out. So I started working on these. First I marked out where to cut.

[​IMG]

Then cut along all but 1 (the bottom) edge. I glued a ice block stick with a bit of Thin CA to the case to hold the cut out at the correct distance off the case.

[​IMG]

A bit of ply was added to the sides and the stick was removed.

[​IMG]

The ply was then trimmed down.

[​IMG]

Then it was time for more filler.

[​IMG]

After some sanding, a tad more filling and some spray putty it looks like this. It will also give the air another place to get out which is good because there isn’t much point having all the air in the world going in if there is nowhere for the warm air to get out.

[​IMG]

I didn’t take any shots as I was going but this was pretty much just more cutting and folding of aluminium. Here is a pic all the parts for the internal structure which actually holds the case. I just need to bolt them together and add cut outs here and there.

[​IMG]

Last but not least a shot of where the case is as of tonight. After waaaaay to much sanding it is almost ready for the first coat of paint.

[​IMG]

That’s all for now, I’m off to bed! Will try get some more pics up before the LAN but I’m not sure ill have time with only 3 days to go.

Thanks again to all that take the time to read this, to bit-tech for the feature and to all my family friends and my girlfriend for putting up with me spending to much time trying to get this thing finished on time.

2. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

Damn looks very nice. Can't wait to see what's next.

3. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Your case is truly superb dude!! Excellent work! I really really love the design.

4. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

wow looks great,nice glass work.
    and grats on the front page.

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Thats a really cool case, has inspired me for my own mod. And just out of curiosity what CAD programme do you use?

6. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I think its even more obvious now why I voted for you, this thing is kick ass, keep it up.

7. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

very nice progress. Can't wait to see more.

8. s_q_u_e_e

s_q_u_e_e What's a Dremel?

I love the way this is shaping up, looking really great man. I cant wait to see it finished =)

9. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

man im prayin you get this thing done in time for the lan! :D good luck, you got this in the bag

10. ssR

ssR Carbon God

awesome work there man, really like how its coming along so far, looking forward to the final pics. You use the same method i do in my Ferrari Enzo mod so thats more bonus points to you ;)

11. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

that is some amazing fibreglass work. and i cant wait to see the paint if the rest has been this good.

12. Dekode

Dekode What's a Dremel?

Very nice Bruce, keep it up NZ buddy _b

13. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

awesome!!!!:thumb:

14. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts What's a Dremel?

This is some top notch fiber glass work! Impressive moulds as well! I work with fiber glass every day and have been thinking on how to incorperate it into a case, and your case is the most impressive example I've seen yet! Good luck at the competition! I can't wait to see how this turns out!

15. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Wow, i cant think of a word to describe this one.. Amazing.. Cant wait to see more shots of this beauty!!

16. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

this is goin 2 look great once the tft goes on the front

17. GAM

GAM What's a Dremel?

Superb moulding/fibreglassing work and a well deserved front page! Good luck chasing your deadline, I hope you make it.

18. Pretenda

Pretenda What's a Dremel?

sup brother g. get to work on da dam case. only what 1 day 21 hours and 45min :duh: till the event starts (roughly from the time of this post) You better keep going. ne way cu later and congrads on the mod so far.

19. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

It wasn't a crap design, so don't go insane, but it WAS insane. Still is. I can't wait to see it finished!

20. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

I agree. Its seriously an awesome case. :thumb: