1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

~|| Project Fakey is dead!||~ Long live Penguin Power!!! (new pics 08/06/03)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by crayfish, 8 Dec 2002.

1. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Hello,

This might turn out to be the worst case mod in history but I had to start somewhere!

Lacking a Dremel and experience I decided to steer clear of a side window for now. Instead I'm making a window out of a 5 1/2" drive bay blanking plate! :rock:

Here are some pics (webcam unfortunatly) and I'm about half way done at the moment.

Pictures

Obviously there's gonna be a light of some kind in there and I think a yellow one would go well with the grey bezel.

I've not seen this done before on this site and a couple of the others I've visited so hopefully I'm starting a trend!:D

//EDIT\\ - Project Fakey is dead for reasons I will explain at the end of this thread. Make way for Penguin Power!!!

Last edited: 8 Jun 2003
  2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

hmm ... never seen that done before ....

Need to see pics when done

Good luck :rock:

3. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Schedule

I should have some lexan superglued into it by tonight and then I'll order the light.

It should be finished by next weekend.

4. disco volante

disco volante New Member

Make it frosted red plexi, and have some blinking red superbright LEDs in there. Then you'd have a classy looking drive bay

5. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I've glued the window in and added a couple more pics. Monitor is reflecting in window.

I'll clean the glue that splurged out and put it in place later on.

Disco,

Thanks for the lighting tip. I'm still undecided about the lighting. I know nothing of electrics so I'm looking for something that I can just plug in and get working:)

I was thinking of a strobe but I don't want anything that would get on my nerves.

Anyway, the pics:

Pictures

Last edited: 20 Dec 2002
  6. sinizterguy

Making it frosted would make it look really cool .. with red or bloo leds behind it or maybe a little 4" cathode.

7. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I've got another blanking plate so I could always do another. This is a little scruffy anyway. The border is too thin and the top of it sags just a little.

I'll know better next time.

Anyway, more Pictures

I'm shining a torch into the drive bay so that you can see what's inside (an Abit Solano and PIII 700 to be precise).

Sinitzerguy, do you know where I can get a 4" cathode from? I was gonna purchase from coolcasemods.com but they only have 12".

8. Adam

Adam New Member

When I first read your post I thought it sounded like a rather strange idea but after seeing the pics it doesn't look at all bad. Well done.

9. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift New Member

The daily bandwidth limit for this member has been exceeded. Try again after midnight, EST.
    Click here for more information.

aparently bit broke your server...

10. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Thanks Adam. For my next trick I'll make one for the 3 1/2" blanking plate so that my HDD can be seen.

Nice stealth floppy BTW.

11. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Here's a mini update while I wait for the blue cathode to arrive.

In the pictures you can see the metal grate behind the bezel. Once this is snapped out of position it will allow for the whole top of the HDD to be seen (the HDD is in the bay below).

Pictures

I've also gone for slightly thicker borders at the edges of this window and this is where I will glue it in position. Hindsight is a great thing:rolleyes:

12. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Sizeable update this time.

I got itchy feet whilst waiting for my light so I decided to rip out the grate that was obscuring the view of my HDD.:naughty:

The resulting hole gives a great view of the HDD, much better than the last picture shows.

I'm gonna put the light on the back panel of the case coz there are some handy prongs that can be bent upwards for some cable ties to hang on.

More pictures

Last edited: 23 Dec 2002
  13. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

It's finished!!!

Ahhh...the first mod is complete!

I decided to mount the cathode on the floor of the case next to the side panel. The light shines through it and creates a gorgeous shadow across my desk.

I've got a little window in front of the HDD and the reflection on the top is really nice, and all viewable from the outside. :D

A word of warning. These pics are very large. I'm a 56K user myself so I feel your pain. They don't take too long to download.

Pictures

Let me know what you think.

14. Hwulex

Hwulex New Member

"bandwidth"

"laserr"
    :rolleyes:
    These companies should know better.

Anyway. Shame I can't see the piccies.
    Will have to wait till after midnight EST.

15. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Grrr:miffed:

That's the second time this week! I'll be getting a stupid automated email trying to hypnotize me into getting one of their premium packages.

Sorry about that. Please do come back coz you're the first new reply I've had for days and I need feedback. :)

Last edited: 14 Dec 2002
  16. Hwulex

Hwulex New Member

Nice little mod that mate. The 5.25 one looks sweet :D
    Different too.

:clap:

17. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Thanks dude! Now that I have a light in there I'm obliged to cut a window! :hehe:

The Aopen HQ45 is a bit of an ugly, awkward case and I bought it 2 years ago without modding in mind but I have plans. Muhahahahaha!!! :naughty:

18. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Case art project. Mod's, Is it possible to merge this with my other thread?

I've done a second mod to my case. I've got a final look for the case in mind and it's gonna incorporate all the stuff I've done to it up to now.

Basically it's a design on the mobo side panel, similar to the article mrhaz provides. I'm not trying to steal his thunder or anything but I didn't really understand the need to lift the paper and scratch the case.

Anyway, here's my alternative method of getting a picture on your case :idea:

Sorry for the linkage but my host doesn't allow remote linking. :miffed:

19. sinizterguy

That's looking nice :rock:

Keep going ... :D

20. The Savior

The Savior New Member

Bandwidth exceeded. :(