1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Fatso

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mhod42, 17 Feb 2003.

1. mhod42

mhod42 What's a Dremel?

I've managed to lay my hands on a very large Siemens Nixdorf Primergy 500 server case. :D As you can see from the pictures below it's massive and veary heavy.

It's guts have beed stripped out and eventually are going to be replaced with a dual Athlon MP setup with multiple SCSI drives.

I'm not quite sure on what exactly i'm going to do with her yet but it should be fun.

http://www.custardweb.co.uk/martyn

:jawdrop:

Martyn

2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

welcome to bit tech, and that case looks to have some modding potential.......

3. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

wow.. and welcome. That's a unique case... could turn out to be quite a secksi system when you're done. The front panel screams "iluminate meh babeh!".. :rock:

4. mhod42

mhod42 What's a Dremel?

Project Fatso - colours and ideas

I think I’ve decided on the colour scheme of grey and orange (grey for the body and orange for the door and feet).

On opening the case I’ve found out it's not a standard motherboard mounting but a strange oem one with ports and holes everywhere but the right place, :waah: so the back end will need replacing with a standard ATX panel.

Anyone have any tips on the best way of doing this, :confused: I might just be able to insert a standard ATX backing plate and drill some new holes for the motherboard standoffs but if I can't do that then I might bolt in a back and side off of a standard ATX case.

Also if anyone has any ideas about what I can do with the case, I'm looking to do something a little different than the standard window and neon. There is a ton of space inside so anything goes really.

I'll post a picture up with my ideas in the next few days.

Cheers

5. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

not easy to convert a case...best way i can think of is

A) buy a LianLi mobo tray

B) Cut a bigass hole in the back so you can just sit the LianLi mobo tray in there with the mobo and all mounted and then use zip ties to secure it.

6. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

-> watercooling :D

-> put 2 PCs in the case :)

7. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Who's that in the picture on the floor????

Good potential, Now destroy it...

8. (Ck)Vegeta

(Ck)Vegeta What's a Dremel?

Kool

i havent seen a Case like that yet and Ive seen Many Many Cases and like it sais Above a Good Modding Oppertunity or i may have Quoted it wrong but looks like it will be a good Oppertunity to mod that baby. Nice Find Enjoy and will look forwar to seeing some more pics

9. mhod42

mhod42 What's a Dremel?

That's my prison photo :worried:

RUN, here comes the warden.............

10. (Ck)Vegeta

(Ck)Vegeta What's a Dremel?

Can You

just wondering can we get a pic of Insde the case just wondering what the inside looks like

11. master_akira

master_akira What's a Dremel?

for replacing the backpanel you have a number of options-
    1. Make one out of plexiglass, which should be pretty easy as it is a very workable material
    2. Make it out of Carbon Fiber or Fiberlgass, also very workable materials, the only problem is the initial investment, about 20 buck for a yard of CF and 20 buck for resin. But if you want to use CF on any other part of your case i think this would be the way to go.

Good luck with that case, it is any awesome find you will get some great results i'm sure

12. mhod42

mhod42 What's a Dremel?

Hi and thanks for all the help and comments so far. :D

Another quick update. I've started to take apart the case to see if I could remove the motherboard tray as the holes aren't standard ATX.

Pictures have been moved to:

http://www.martcam.co.uk/fatso/

I think without too much trouble I can adapt the existing tray to accommodate standard motherboards. I'll have to replace part of the back panel where the connectors are with a new sheet of steel. I can make some new holes on the tray and use standard brass standoffs.

Mounting the motherboard was my main concern. As well as converting the hot swap bays to take standard 3.5" drives.

Does anybody have any experience on water cooling? I'd like to make the comp as quiet as possible and water seems the idea option. What sort of setup would I need for a dual processor system? (Probably dual 1.3 GHz Duron's, not overclocked)

Well I’m off tomorrow to buy a Dremel, orbital sander, riveting gun, metal and hopefully the motherboard so I can measure up the holes.

More updates to come soon

13. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

i was looking at your pictures and it seems to me a good way to make an atx board work with your case would be to cut out the metal part above the card slots and replace it with acrylic. then drill the mobo standoff holes to fit accordingly. it shouldnt be that hard. good luck! :D

14. mod-ern man

mod-ern man What's a Dremel?

Maybe somebody out there has a scrap atx case with a removable mobo tray they could donate. Would save a lot of time & effort.
    I for one like the green/black color scheme that would go well with GREEN leds!!!

15. I thought only MP's could be used in dual machines? I could be wrong, but that's just what I thought. Any way good luck with monting the motherboard in there.

16. Sky Hacker

Sky Hacker What's a Dremel?

put in a smaller version one of those knex ball tower thingys
    [​IMG]
    that would look cool if it fit

17. Ninja_gnome

Ninja_gnome What's a Dremel?

i know you can run dual xp's when you lock the smp bridge. i really have no clue about durons but xp1600's are dirt cheap.

18. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Very interesting case, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Good luck!

DDK