1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project - FIX YOUR PIX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by macroman, 19 May 2003.

1. macroman

macroman The One

OK folks I see there are several logs showing a red "x" instead of a pic. As you know pics are a requirement of the project log forum and as such sort the pix or the thread will be moved.

If you are having hosting probs, I know there are plenty of peeps who would be willing to help out on this forum.

There is plenty of cool stuff in these logs and it would be a shame to see it moved. (Assuming we could actually see the pics ;) ).

:thumb:

2. Adam

Adam What's a Dremel?

Just posting to remind people they can use www.uploadit.org as a simple way to get their pics (back) online with no signup/payment.

3. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Minimodder

Where do you get these public galleries from and how many images can u upload to them.

Thanks

5. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Am running http://gallery.sf.net on one of my servers, its very nice, easy to setup and use. Dont think theres a limit to how many pics can be posted.

6. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

is this ur service Adam? good site i used it to post a pic in the networking section

7. Adam

Adam What's a Dremel?

Yup :).

8. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

can we use your service to host pics anywere in bit tech and other forums if needed etc

also wat software u usin to host that service?

9. Adam

Adam What's a Dremel?

That's what it's there for, you can use it for anything you like. The PHP used for the uploading is mine but the site is running on Redhat 7.3 + Apache if that's what you wanted to know?

10. Megavolt

Megavolt What's a Dremel?

Project log Guide

OK, I am still new here so how about a quick "how to" so I get it right the first time. How to link pics, what size, best format, and some tips on text.

11. Adam

Adam What's a Dremel?

Link pics by doing....

(img)http://www.something.com/something.jpg(/img)

Replacing the brackets with [ and ].

Size - probably best to keep to 800x600 max but you can link to larger ones.

Format - JPG, PNG.

Text, descriptive as possible, make it an interesting read. Write about any problems you encountered and how you overcame them. Not sure what else to say?

12. Crazith

Crazith What's a Dremel?

i'm thinking about starting a log on my project right now...

but with my digital cam for the best quality I have to that them at I think 1600 x1200 but they are around 450 KB is size would I have to resize them all down to use them here?

just sorta curious cause I want feed back about my project

13. macroman

macroman The One

Try and keep the pics to a reasonable size. Don't forget most peeps are still on dial up. 400 x 300 - 800 x 600 MAX. You can always add a link to the hi res versions as well if you like.

Go for it dude! :D

14. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

in case you dont know how to a thumbnail/hirez link ...

(URL=http://hirez.url/hirez.jpg)(IMG)http://lowrez/thumb.jpg(/IMG)(/URL)

replace all ( & ) with appropriate [ & ]

took me forever how to figure out how to do it :)

15. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

I hope no one minds that I have 2 cents rattling around in my pockets.

Some of you know me as the guy who rags on those who post huge ass pictures without regard to the other members who still use dialups and screen resolutions at 800x600. I'm here asking for a little consideration.

There's no reason you can't post a very nice, sharp and detailed image that is LESS than 800x600. Many of your fellow members, your audience, if you will, still have monitors that don't get much better than 800x600 -- and the size of the browser window could be even smaller than that. In addition, when you factor in the forum software's format, with the member info panel on the left and the scroll bar on the right, the available screen real estate is considerably smaller than 800x600.

How many times have you been forced to scroll left and right, not just to see the image, but to read the messages in the thread because the image has broken the barriers? Too damn often. I've heard all kinds of excuses, but I still have trouble understanding how someone with the skill and wherewithal to modify a computer, can't seem to figure out how to resize or edit an image.

As tk421 mentioned, you can still show your big pictures by making a thumbnail image link to the bigger one. Let me see if I can make his example a little clearer for you.

To post an image only, just enclose its address in the "IMG" tags:

[IMG]https://1footinthegrave.com/images/tech/comp/fd469_tn.jpg[/IMG]

Which gives you something like this:

[​IMG]

If you want to turn that teeny little picture into a link to a bigger one, you just enclose the above code (with the address of your own picture, of course) in "URL" tags:

[URL='https://1footinthegrave.com/images/tech/comp/fd469.JPG'][IMG]https://1footinthegrave.com/images/tech/comp/fd469_tn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

To avoid confusion, you can add directions to the image:

[URL='https://1footinthegrave.com/images/tech/comp/fd469.JPG'][IMG]https://1footinthegrave.com/images/tech/comp/fd469_tn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    [SIZE=2]Click Image[/SIZE]

Which should end up looking like this:

[​IMG]
    Click Image

Images of a reasonable size make visiting Bit-Tech a lot more fun and allows many more people to enjoy your pictures. Of course, there's a lot more to it than just changing the dimensions. The "weight" of an image effects download speed. Most of the advice from professionals indicates that images should be 40 or 50Kb or less. I have seen some posted that are 10 times that or more. You lose so much of your audience when the content isn't there to see in a few seconds.

So please, be considerate of your fellow modders. Follow the examples of the truly elite modders you see here every day -- look at the quality and size of the images they post regularly.

Thanks,

Grump

Last edited: 1 Feb 2019
  16. Skipper

Skipper What's a Dremel?

I write all my private and most of my work stuff in an XML standard called docBook (www.oasis.org).

This makes it very easy for me to convert it to html, PDF, htmlhelp or word documents.

My question now is if anyone is aware of an XSL to convert docBook to this forums tags. bbPHP or whatever it's called?

17. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

All my pics are resized automagically by 'gallery' to a nice 640ish width....I hope they are good enuff?

18. penski

penski BodMod

For those aspiring modders who feel they have something good in their hands, check out this thread where BlackJaX is offering some webspace.

Good luck, all.

*n

19. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

I can host, unlimited space supposedly and unlimited bandwidth, but we have already past unlimited once, but just once. I didn't think unlimited was possible to pass?!?!?! Anyway, Ill take restrictions off soon, www.modlife.net

20. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I would higly reccomend www.photobucket.com its free
    i personally have over 300 images; check it out

Last edited: 11 May 2004