1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: FooT LANmachine (December 30th)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by FooTemps, 29 Dec 2005.

1. FooTemps

FooTemps New Member

Hey all,
    The theme of this mod is basically aesthetics in simplicity. No cold cathodes, no LEDs no lighted fans, in essence, I'm not trying to use lighting and bling factor to make the case look good. It'll just be clean well organized and effective. (The reason why I chose to make a mod like this is to first concentrate on keeping the system clean and aesthetically pleasing without bling. It also seems to be a more different idea than what people are modding now too. Once I finish I may add lights if it adds effect.) The current case stats are as so:

FooTemps current rig:
    Silverstone SG01 mATX aluminum case
    AMD A64 x2 4400+
    BFG 7800GTX 256
    ECS RS480-M pci-e motherboard
    G.Skill 2gb (2x 1gb) pc3200 ram kit
    OCZ modstream
    Soundblaster Live 5.1 digital
    Maxtor 160gb hd
    NEC oem DVD burner

Here are some pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

FooT LANmachine is going to be an all-in-one package. Both the monitor and case will be one piece. And no, I'm not talking about iMac style or mounting an LCD into the side panel. I more got the inspiration for it from fanatik's (the guy making miniG5ized) Soldam Revamped. I thought an LCD mount arm attached to the case looks awesome. So I decided to roll with that idea for my design. The intended specs for FooT LANmachine will be:

Silverstone SG01 mATX aluminum case
    AMD A64 x2 4400+
    BFG 7800GTX 256
    MSI K8NGM2 mATX 6150/430 mobo
    G.Skill 2gb (2x 1gb) pc3200 ram kit
    Samsung Spinpoint P series 160gb HD
    OCZ modstream
    NEC oem DVD burner
    Swiftech Apogee
    Dangerden D5
    BIX 2 X-flow
    Aquaxtreme MP-01 gpu
    Swiftech bga ramsinks
    Proview 15" widescreen monitor
    Generic gas spring LCD mount arm.

Now onto the modding! I just recieved my first parts today from dangerden. The x-flow and the d5 look great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the LCD mount arm I am going to mount to the case. Hopefully the case will be anchored well enough to be able to widthstand the weight. It's starting to get torn down but the bottom mount plate is not coming off. I may just have to cut and drill it while the arm is still attached.
    [​IMG]

Here's the prep work for the case for the BIX2 and LCD mount arm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for today. Case cutting pics tomorrow. (or when I can upload)

Random update an hour later:
    okay, so I tried taking a hacksaw to the LCD mount arm for five minutes... not working out too well. Tomorrow I gotta make a trip to the store to buy me a rotary tool! (I've been wanting to get one for months now)

[​IMG]

Discuss

(btw: First log on bit-tech! yay!)

Last edited: 30 Dec 2005
  2. FooTemps

FooTemps New Member

Project: FooT LANmachine

Project

Just started today (Dec 28). Not much to see or say. All conceptual pics are in my dorm room so all I can show is work right now.

I couldn't think of a name either so I just used FooT (my tag name I use). Any suggestion for a name?

3. FooTemps

FooTemps New Member

Text Update:

So I started cutting the LCD mount arm and I'm only about halfway through. This damn mounting plate is thick! 5mm! I have one major cut out of the way but I still have two more to go.

4. FooTemps

FooTemps New Member

Text Update:

Recieved my fittings and tubing from mcmaster. Turns out I ordered fittings that are too big. 3/4" npt with 1/2" id. Oh well...

Finished cutting window for the rad: rough cuts, needs filing.
    [​IMG]
    Still not done cutting the LCD mount arm plate: (poor cutting discs, lost 3 of them to that damn plate)
    [​IMG]

So change of plans...

I'll finish all the cutting and filing and then install all my new hardware with aircooling. When I get to the dorms I'll start do further mods that don't require dremel and hacksaw work.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2005
  5. Timmee

Timmee Member

Nice start to your project, Foo. Just a quick question though, what are the fittings for? If they're for your rad (or any other DD product), keep in mind they started changing over to the 1/4 BSPP threading, so you should check to make sure you didn't get those (I ended up with the new threads in the acetal Maze4 top I just got).

BTW, where's Sealtte? Is that anywhere near Seattle? :D

6. FooTemps

FooTemps New Member

GAH, typo! I signed up for bit-tech when I was tired. lol

No, they're not for the rad, they're for my apogee. I also got a quick disconnect hoping that I could get away with using it so I couldn't have clearance issues but it turns out that it's way too freakin big to fit.

7. FooTemps

FooTemps New Member

CURSE YOU COLLEGE SCHOOL LIFE!

Moved some stuff around, switched to stock AMD heatsink for the time being, filing cuts, redrawing lines for top cut, finishing cuts... And almost all my parts I need are here now too.

So earlier this weekend I decided to try to take apart some of my modstream psu cables, turns out that they suck and i need to build cables from scratch. YAY! not.