1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Frankenstien!!! (update pics 3-21-03)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by skywalker107, 17 Mar 2003.

1. skywalker107

skywalker107 New Member

Hi all. In Normal Fashion...This is my first MOD. After following Zap and some of the other guys for a couple months now and installing a classic Knight Rider HDD MOD I have decided to document my next idea, For all of you to enjoy.

Have you guys ever seen those skits on Jay leno where he crosses Famous stars to see what there kids would look like. Well on that same train of thought I am going mad scientist style and hope to create a frankenstien Style MOD on my secondary Rig.

For the First Phase of Frankenstien I will Take....

A classic oversized server case, I recieved from a local company that went bankrupt. Unfortunaly the specs are nothing great for this thing.(Pics to Come)

Kubuka Mobo
    Athlon Thunderbird 900
    SB Pci 512
    512 pc133 memory
    3dfx Voodoo5

Pheonix Systems Case
    6 internal hdd bays
    10 5 1/4" external bays
    400 watt PS
    7 yes 7 factory installed 80mm fans with plans for 4 more.
    mobo orientation is for all ports to stick out the top
    mobo carrier is a tray that pulls out and has a ton of room

Pre existing mods
    Knight Rider LED array where old hdd lights where located

A desk lamp.
    [​IMG]

a 256 x 128 LCD
    [​IMG]

And Misc other parts

LEDS
    Switches
    Control Boards
    and LEXAN

Put them in a locked room and see what type of mutation comes out. (And everthing I have mentioned will be physically and permently attached to each other. if you see where I am going)

My parts come in Today at 4pm and will get more shots and initial reactions hopefully tonight or tomorrow night, maybe even a sample CAD Drawing of what I am planning.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2003
  2. Dark_Blender

Dark_Blender New Member

Cant wait to see ya tear it up man. Make sure to post mass pics.:rock:

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

cant wait to see what is going to happen with that desk lamp, i reckon you should do somethgin like teh new imac except put the wuole case on the arm, wall mount it or somethgin like that :D

4. skywalker107

skywalker107 New Member

The parts are here!!!!!

Along with my many LCD parts, I also bought a tiny DC-DC convertor that you input +5 DC and it outputs -6 -10 -12 DC. I need this to drive the contrast on the LCD. and to power my newest aquisition

The Lcd was 18.50 USD from All Electronics. It uses a SED1330 Controller. It has a slot for a backlight but this model does not contain one. It has two spots for headers. a 17 pin and a 14 pin. I will be using the 17 pin header. I found a couple different pieces of software to drive the unit but the one I like the most has a Visual Basic control to write my own app for it.

My plan is to remove the base and light from the ARM of the desk lamp. Thread 26 wires out of a 25 pair phone cable up through the tubing in the arm the same way the lamps power cable was thread through for: LCD Screen, Power LED, Power Switch, Reset Switch, and Headphone jack.

While I was at my Lexan suppliers house I was going over what I am building and when we were done he brought out this old HP Pavillion PC. He offered it up to the Gods as a sign of good faith. I pulled the case off and to my suprise inside was an ENSONIQ Sound Extension board. I was concerned about the power to the headphone jack. This board has a standard internal line in jack and a internal mini-power jack. The power jack has four wires and they are +12, gnd,gnd, -12. My little DC-DC board will drive this also. This Expansion board was original designed to go into a spare rear expansion slot but can be removed from the plate it's mounted to and relocated else where. The minor Problem with this board is that it has a huge heatsink on it, almost a full 2 inches off the board.

So Project Frankenstien as it stands now.

Small lexan Enclosure Mounted on the end of the retractable arm. Enclosure will house the LCD, Headphone Jack, Computer Power LED, Power Switch, Reset Switch. With high output Blue LEDS backlighting the whole thing. I will post pics of the pieces late tomorrow night. The Arm will be swivel mounted to the top(removable) of my case. I think the DC-DC board and Sound Board will get mounted under the top of the case, out of sight.

5. skywalker107

skywalker107 New Member

UPDATE 3-21-03

Ok Guys...

For those of you who have nothing to do tonight (Like Me!!) I am going to start playing with my Components. I have taken some more shots of the stuff for you to see what I am up against.

Here we go...

[​IMG]
    Here is the LCD. 256 x 128

[​IMG]
    Here are the 14 and 17 pin solder points. I will be using the 17 pin side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the DCDC Convertor. I need a negative voltage to control the contrast with.

[​IMG]
    25 Pair Phone Cable (30ft of it)

[​IMG]
    My Torn Apart Lamp Arm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Other End of my cable.

Ok for all of you who are interested I am Going to post throughout the night my attempt at a test run with some of my spare cable. Hopefully before midnight I should have some good shots of the working unit for all to see.

6. Dragen

Dragen New Member

me need more! me like project!

7. Snood

Snood New Member

whats happened to this project... i was looking forwrt to seeing it finished

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, I think I know what he is trying to do: put an LCD display on the end of n adjustable arm. Very nice... if he gets it completed. Pics! Pics! Pics! :sigh:

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Sweet idea indeed! Where did you get that dc/dc converter? I've been looking for one! I just don't want to have to build one if I can buy one so tiny!

:EDIT: 3 days looking for a converter, post this message asking where Shywalker107 got his, 5 minutes later found one. :clap: Don't you HATE that!?!? :wallbash:

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

yeah, but how the laws of the Universe work, if you hadn't asked, you wouldn't have found one yourself 5 mins. later. :p

11. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Very true. However, I need an update to this! I want to see if this mod is worth ripping apart a desklamp that I have! :naughty:

12. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 New Member

Niiiiiiiiiicccccccccceeeeee!!:rock: :clap:

Goes to show that I'm not the only one with a Frankenstein, :hehe:

13. skywalker107

skywalker107 New Member

:waah: :waah: After burning up 2 of those lcd screens because of some bad wiring, I am trying another go at it next week when my 3rd screen comes in.

I hope to have some more pics coming soon. I was really excited about this until my problems with the first 2 screens now i am frustrated and my anger is fueling this project.

Anyone know the answer to the following question?

On a 400w PSU can one molex connector handle all 400w's? or is that split between all the connectors?

14. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Dude, that really sucks burning up those LCD's. Mind if I ask where you are getting them? I'm in the market for a graphic lcd and those look like they'll do the trick! :dremel: What controller do they have onboard?

If I remember correctly, 400w is split between all the voltages (3.3v, 5v, 12v & -12v. Did I miss any?), not the individual connectors.

15. skywalker107

skywalker107 New Member

LCD-58 fromm allelectronics.com it uses the SED1330 controller. It is a very robust screen.

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Except if it's in your hands!? :D

17. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Actually, after looking at it, it looks like a very nice display. How are you going about getting the 18V needed for the LCD screen? I looked at that converter you have and it doesn't have an 18V pin...

18. Annon

Annon New Member

Ooooooo.... That does look like a nice display, do you have a link to where I can get some software for that controller?

Last edited: 23 Apr 2003
  19. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Here's a couple to wet your whistle...

LCD Studio
    Liquid MP3
    Power LCD

The 3rd one (Power LCD) is designed for the SED's along with Toshiba T6963c's...

20. skywalker107

skywalker107 New Member

It's actually -18vdc for the screen contrast and my little convertor has a specified output -10, -19, and -26. but in testing I foung that it's output is alot higher than that. I used the -19 pin which is more like -60 and then I used a voltage divider to get it to -12, Then a 47kohm pot to trim it down to -11 and the contrast is set almost perfect.

The actual screen and dc to dc convetor are powered by 5 volts. Also there is a reset pin that needs a little 5vdc circuit.

Project Update: I have just sent my CAD drawings to my friendly LEXAN supplier for fabrication. Hopefully he can get those parts to me in time for my screen arrival.