1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: FrozenFire (MORE!! Watercooling changes Sep 8 05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Firehed, 14 Feb 2005.

1. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I had thought about doing that. The way his case is laid out the sata cables are somewhat hidden behind the radiator though, mine won't be. I have some 39" cables so routing them won't be a problem, it's just a matter of deciding how I want to do it.

3. IYIENACE

IYIENACE What's a Dremel?

Forgive me if you already covered this, but it would make a huge difference (IMHO) if you were to cut an access hole where I marked for all the sata and vga wires etc. to come from behind the case? Is that possible? A panel over the hole would look even better (tried to illustrate in my crude picture) -

[​IMG]

Otherwise I love your work so far. It just seems the cables take away from how clean everything else is....

Then again, maybe you are just running them there temporarily? lol :duh:

edit: guess I was in PS or something while you both were posting on the same thing lol. :duh: :duh:

4. Firehed

Yeah those are very temportary, they're definately not staying there. I'm hoping ther'll be enough room to run them behind the mobo panel the same way I plan to do the USB/firewire stuff. I'll probably dye any visible part black as well to make them stand out even less.

Basically my goal is to have as little wiring as possible showing, meaning ATX, PATA, SATA, P4, molexes, everything. I want the tubing to be the main feature and to really stand out. I have a really good plan for the PCIE power lines that should stealth them very well, I just hope I can pull it off.

Almost everything is still temporary. I'm hoping there will be enough clearance to run the split-up ATX line behind the mobo tray as well (next to the IDE cable in a similar way). The Audigy box will probably move to the top, the DVD burners will probably both move down a slot, maybe putting the LCD between them.

I think what I'm going to do (not finialized yet) is put two or three bulkheads mounted in smoked plexi (similar to how modsquad did his red acrylic washers) in the hole for the ATX cable where the SATA and PCIE power are coming out too.

I'll probably end up routing the power for the 5.25" stuff behind the left mounting side thing (the one you don't see) and then use right-angle molexes to keep the wiring as discreet as possible. I've already got the wiring going in the right place more or less, but it's just a temporary cable that I swiped from my SilenX that I made modular some time ago.

the P4 and Ezplug will be hidden behind the rear radiator. I've got plans for the PCIE that I don't wanna give away yet :naughty: Like I said, I hope to do the ATX like that IDE cable. That's really about it, it's the red and yellow of the pcie and sata lines that really stick out, it's actually very clean in there. I'll try and stick on this fabric cable wrap stuff I have for some pics just temporarily to hide the colors (as I don't really care yet since I don't have a window).

Everything that I can think of, except for the LEDs and holders, are now ordered. Watercooling stuff will probably be here the week after next (I'm guessing) which IIRC coincides nicely with my spring break :thumb:

5. IYIENACE

IYIENACE What's a Dremel?

Sounds great man. Finished yet? ;)

6. Firehed

Lemme show you what I've done (no more CF yet):

Add your own commentary, I'm lazy. Please ignore the dust on the fans, it's supposed to be showing the button-head socket cap bolts. It'll all get cleaned up. And like I said, that cable wrap is only temporary.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, forgot to mention (I think anyways) that I changed the chipset cooler... again. It's now a Vantec Iceberq that I modded to fit. I wanted to get this thing overclocked again and the passive scared me to do that. It'll see a waterblock eventually, don't worry.

In case you're wondering, the handle screws are "Boltdepot #6631 stainless steel button head M5x8mm" and the aquatube screws are #6622 and #6624 M4 8mm and 12mm respectively. The longer ones go thru the plexi.

I've got M3 40mm socket head bolts for the radiator/fan setups and a few different things to try for the chipset (the stock plastic things look like crap imo). I'm now a huge fan of Boltdepot.. especially since my cheapest-they-have-UPS-ground was overnight since I'm only 150miles away from them or so. I spent a bit more there than I'd have liked to but I got extra of everything, just for whatever. I'm kinda wishing I got more of the fender washers (they're extra wide, they'll provide extra support on the rubber gromets in the fan/rad mounts) but oh well.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2005
  7. Firehed

Sunday nite update for all of ya:

This is how I plan to do the radiator mounting. Those are 40mm socket cap bolts holding it together. I've since played around with making an acrylic shroud, see later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've re-routed the SATA wires for a much cleaner look. Still not final, but a lot closer to where they'll end up. I may have a piece of smoked plexi they end up behind. Those are also the 39"/1M long ones, not the 18"/50cm ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I finally did the carbon fibre on the HDD rack. It came out pretty nice if you ask me. Any imperfections you might notice in pics are totally invisible in real life, only picked up by the flash.
    [​IMG]

You can see I've since re-flipped the direction of the hard drives. The cabling is now once again facing the rad. I only have one space (out of six!) free, and all of those are real drives that will be in there. In order: 36GB raptor, WD 80GB, Seagate 80GB, Seagate 80GB, free, 36GB Raptor. The free will probably see a 300GB 16MB cache Maxtor at some point. If you care, it's like 298GB after formatting. About 194 of that is used.
    [​IMG]

More SATA cable routing. I was happy to find out that I can run drives JBOD on the SI3114 controller (the one with only one cable) so I'm not FORCED to RAID any drives. I just hope it accepts multiple arrays... or else a sixth drive could be problematic.
    [​IMG]

My Allelectronics.com order came in (packed in a frozen meat box, lol). I got a Helping Hands tool.
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the Aquatool for those who care. For five bucks at AE, the thing will be invaluable for my upcoming soldering work.
    [​IMG]

How my fans will probably be mounted. Those are M5 button head bolts, similar to what I used to remount the Aquatube. I really like the button heads over the more modding-traditional socket cap - smoother look IMO.
    [​IMG]

Wiring from AE. 100' of each 18 and 22ga.
    [​IMG]

More AE stuff. 50 cent cable management kits, a $5 10-pc file set, a $5 dremel filing set thing, speaker wire (for if/when I get z5500's, since at least some of them seem to be coming with the terminals rather than the hardwired connections), and some extra high header bits. I'll use those with my soon-to-come FPIO wiring, once my Futurlec stuff comes.
    [​IMG]

My collection of nuts and bolts from Boltdepot in $1 organizers from AE. Dunno why I got a picture really... but AE seems to have a lot of really useful stuff on the cheap.
    [​IMG]

I finally attached the power and HDD LEDs. It's barely distinguishable that the blue power LED is on. I'm not sure if I'll change that color, and if so what to, but I'm glad to finally know they work.
    [​IMG]

The back of the case. Note that I've attached the fans with more of the M5 bolts. Don't mind my foot, I was taking the pic at a really akward angle.
    [​IMG]

Where the SATA cables are passing thru to the bottom at the moment. It went to the FPIO wiring initially, but it has enough room for five to six SATA cables on top of that stuff.
    [​IMG]

You can see how I did the SATA power with the right-angles for a couple of the drives. All of them will be done that way when it's finalized.
    [​IMG]

I used the small but thick piece of acrylic from The Cutting Edge (thanks Chris!) for a shroud. Sorry, no pics of it in the making but if I remember I'll snap a few when I do the other. I countersunk holes around the screws since the threads on the radiator stick out a tiny bit. The 40mm bolts are just barely long enough! I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but if I do, it may be backlit with LEDs.
    [​IMG]

That's all for now, enjoy it! I'm still not sure about the rest of my AC stuff, hopefully soon............. I want to get a lot done over spring break (week after this for me).

For those who are intested and haven't heard, I may be opening my own AC reselling store in the US, and will actually STOCK items so you won't have long backorders. If you're the type interested in AC parts in the US, I'd appreciate it if you could email ac @ 1sweetpc . com with stuff you'd be interested in, or place a mock order at 1sweetpc.com/firehed/oscomtest/catalog so I can get ideas on how much of what to stock (yes I know that site's very incomplete, but it's just for mock orders).

8. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

LOOKING TASTY :thumb:

Were did you get those uber long s-ata cables they could be very handy :D

p.s i do love the look of the aquacomputer stuff :)

9. Firehed

Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-105-912&depa=0
    They're $10 each in singles after shipping, but if you get 10+ they're only $3.19 each shipped, which is what I did. In fact, 10 was cheaper than the six I needed.

Over the week I may start doing more experiments with acrylic and whatnot. I found that my dad has a *massive* tap+die set so I played around with mounting a barb in the center cutout thing of that shroud. It won't go in this project, but possibly in my (other) AMD setup that's going to no use at all right now making a custom res that will acutally bleed the system effectively (it's a higher-flow setup from misc parts I've obtained in whatever way). That's another story though.

10. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

The HD rack looks great!! You really improved your wiring, very clean. You know, every Aqua-Computer radiator I have seen needs a paint touch-up at the inlet/outlet connectors. Your EVO120 is no exception. They have a nice finish, but I wonder why they would neglect painting the connector area? I think I read somewhere that AC does not manufacture there EVO radiators. They are sourced from another German company, can't remember the name.

11. Firehed

I had just assumed that was because I bought them used. Oh well... I'll deal with that eventually. Both are like that :duh: Maybe I'll just throw some CF on there too and call it a day :thumb: I just don't want to go overboard, although I'd bet by the time my lighting is figured out the CF will be very subtle. Unfortunately on one the paint is a little chipped because I bent the tubing a bit while messing with the fittings. No damage to the tubing itself as far as I can tell though.

12. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

Jsut a thought if you put the plate back in that runs from the top of the case down to the seperator plate Surly you could have hid your s-ata and pci-e power behind it with the use of cable ties :D would have been a good way to hide all them cables :D and were are all your pci covers :confused:

13. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Makes me think I need a case with better cable routing opportunities, mine looks like a rat's nest

14. Firehed

I thought about doing that, but the piece still seems rather useless and obtrusive... I like having it nice and open.

The PCI covers are temporarily out just so that fan ziptied to the side cools the graphics cards better. They run rather toasty as you could guess. It'll all be not ghetto once the rest of my watercooling comes in... *mutters at SNT*

15. mafia11671

mafia11671 What's a Dremel?

Very nice update. I love how the lian li's have all the room for cable management and hiding. Alot of time, the way the cables are managed can make or break a mod IMO. Oh yeah, thanks for letting me know about All Electronics. The have some killer stuff and are uber cheap. :rock:
    Please tell me that those SATA cables are showing pink because of the flash :D
    Mafia

16. Firehed

Yeah, they're red in real life. I'll probably dye them black at some point, or maybe sleeve them. Not a really deep red, but certainly not pink.
    Probably the red in the packaging of the top wire is closest to waht they really look like. At least on my monitor.
    [​IMG]

17. Firehed

Well most of my remaining electronics stuff came in from Futurlec, so I played around with that stuff as my watercooling stuff still isn't here. Good news is that it shipped out today... so hopefully I'll have it by Friday. Of course my luck makes it so I'm touring colleges on Sat. so hopefully I can still get something done. The fan noise is bugging me to no end!

Anyways, I've had quite a bit of stuff in the planning for fan and light control. Time to let you all in on my plans.

Most of my credit goes to cpemma's site where I used one of his schematics and then modified it a bit to suit my needs. He's got a lot of good ideas so go check it out.

[​IMG]

Basically, I want total control over all my fans and lights. The switch on the right will be handling at least one of my fans, maybe all. I'm still not sure if I want to wire up two and have one switch per rad. Anyways, the basic idea is using Cpemma's "DioBus" to use diodes to control the voltage going to the fans. By adding two diodes in between each step, I drop about 1.5v each time. The way I've set it up, I'll have (roughly) 12v, 10.5v, 9v, 7.5v, 6v and off. At the same time I've wired up a power indicator on the other pole of the rotary switch. Each resistor branching off of there will go to an LED. These will probably be top-mounted white in chrome holders. For each step of the switch I'm on, another LED lights up. If I'm at zero power, no LEDs. 6v=1LED, 7.5v=2LEDs, etc up to 12v giving all five being on.

[​IMG]

There's a closeup of that one. If you wanna make one, check out cpemma's site. I think I have an expressPCB sketch of one somewhere, but it's just labelled poles and not an actual circular thing.

[​IMG]

This one will be taking care of a majority of the lighting in the case. A similar idea, except this is a 12 position 1 pole rotary, versus the 6x2 on the other. Each step denotes another LED (perhaps set of LEDs, but probably just one) being turned on. I've got 10 LEDs to control (or will at some point...) If you can count, knowing one setting will be off, that only accounts for 11 of the 12 positions. In the "full on" setting, I'll have all 10 LEDs blazing plus a 12" CCFL (the one sponsored by Cutting Edge Case Mods).

[​IMG]

Here's just a pic of the goodies I got. Not everything's in that pic, but a lot of what I used. The PCBs are just for experimenting, nothing in this project that I know of yet. The ribbon cable, you'll see below.

[​IMG]

Remember those holes I cut in the mobo tray? I'm setting up ribbon cables to extend the USB, Firewire and FPIO (power/reset/hdd/etc) headers on the mobo. The ribbon cable gets routed back there like shown in the pic. I've used clamp-down connectors and extra-high headers to connect the female clamp-down with the female headers.

None of that stuff is completely final yet, but you get the idea at least. I think I'll end up using the fans that came with the case, because they're not too loud at full blast and are uber-quiet in the lowest two settings of my DioBus, and can actually start spinning at 6v.

Wish I could have had more, but I'm trying to figure out the watercooling stuff, and I'm really starting to get pissed now since my vacation week is pretty much wasted since it probably won't come until Friday due to an idiotic customs hold-up. But I did get a couple of free fittings off Dan so that's something. I'm trying to WC my spare AMD system that's going to no use, and the american parts I'm trying to use are getting more annoying by the day, so a couple of the fittings will go to that.

18. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Nice idea. You will indeed have complete control of your lighting. I like it..

19. TMM

TMM Modder

*looks at restrictive grills*
    *looks at dremel*

;)

20. Liquid Steele

Liquid Steele What's a Dremel?

This is looking sweet you ought to write a tut on applying that vinyl you did a really great job this is this is looking the bomb sheezie, up in the heezie my neezie.