1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: FUGGDIVINO (100% Complete)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sethnmalice, 1 Apr 2009.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Yea I know ;).

2. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

i was... -.- shifty eyes..

lol

3. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

Feels like forever since my last post, but I'm here now, and wow, what a week.

Second side panel basically complete.

The progression...

[​IMG]
    The Design.

[​IMG]
    Cut the middle out, this is the window for this side panel, i put it up against the case and it will show all my old but decent hardware.

[​IMG]
    Drawn and start Nibbling the features of the side panel.

[​IMG]
    Nibbling...

[​IMG]
    Flipped them over to show you the contrast and effect.

[​IMG]
    Onto the acrylic now, these go under the pic above...

[​IMG]
    Aluminium all cut out...

[​IMG]
    All cut out...

[​IMG]
    Under over...

[​IMG]
    Very messy side panel, clean up time...

[​IMG]
    Sanded it with 800 Grit wet and dry using WD-40.

[​IMG]
    sanded other parts and assemble...

[​IMG]
    Pwetty...

I was trying to work out roughly how much nibbling I did this week, and it equates to over 40 hours of nibbling, imagine if i worked out for the entire project, my oh my so much nibbling and filing...Good thing is that's basically the last of it.

I want to re-sand all the aluminium, then I have to flame polish all the acrylic, ummm, still need to find a powder coating place and get a quote, I have settles on a color theme, also a change in acrylic again.
    Not only does it have to look good, but the color scheme ties it all in nicely, it's a pretty big case and I don't want it to be an eye sore.

I put the top and sides on the main frame of the case to see if everything is going to line up and it looks like it, which I'm ecstatic about.

[​IMG]
    As you can see here, its not dead inline but the panel isnt exactly where it should be but it does line up when it is.

[​IMG]
    As you can see here.

[​IMG]
    Random Shot.

More in a few :)

Seth

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

That is some crazy work you got there... the design is very cool! Can't wait to see more, good luck.

5. The boy 4rm oz

I've been meaning to ask for a while, do you use the nibbler for the plexi? Sorry if you already explained it but I thought the nibbler would crack and chip plexi.

6. sethnmalice

No I don't, I use a drill bit on high speed (37,000 rpm) attached to my dremel and it melts through the acrylic ,then I hand file everything down.

@ mansueto, tyvm :)

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's looking really cool. If we ever meet. remind me not to shake your hand. You should have a bone-crushing grip by the end of the project.

8. The boy 4rm oz

Ah cool, I might have to give that a try.

9. sethnmalice

ty for coming to see :) lol, everyone has been saying that, but alas its not bone crushing yet, not even a glimpse of hulk like arms.

Mini Update.

Spoke to the powdercoating people today and the price starts from $35 AUD, so I emailed them what I want painted and in the next few days await there reply, if the price is right then Saturday is looking promising.

Also an acrylic change has occurred but that wont be shown till the case is basically complete.

Seth

10. sethnmalice

I switched the Bright Red 3mm Acrylic for 2mm acrylic, mostly due to the fact that i wouldn't have been able to do the side panels as I have completely run out of Bright Red acrylic.
    This is where the 2mm comes into play, but rather than only using it for the side panels, I decided to redo all the main panels, front, top, back, left and right side, I'm keeping the bright red acrylic for the accent pieces, which will tie the color combination in nicely.

Rather than bore you with a repeat of the process of making all the panels up, I'll skip that as its already been mentioned and leave you with some finer text details on the process and 360 degree view of the case as it currently stands.

Traced out each panel onto the 2mm acrylic, then dremeled each with a drill bit at 37,000 rpm, switched the bit over to the sanding drum, sanded as close to line on each panel as much as possible, then hand filed till I was happy with how it looked.

With the front and rear, I cut the triangular grooves into the acrylic so they would match the aluminium front and rear panels.

Pics as follows...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The white that you see, is the protective cover on each of the acrylic pieces, to be removed at the end of the project.

Still waiting to hear back from the powder coating people.

Which should give me enough time to redo the floor panel and redo the motherboard tray mounts, as with the loss of 1mm, i have to redo that.

Also in the process of mounting all the panels.

Much more work to do, but much more updates to come.

Seth

11. The boy 4rm oz

All the panels turned out very well, good luck with the powder coating ;).

12. sethnmalice

I'm pretty sure this is the last post that involves filing and cutting (wohoo for me).

Over the past few days I've been working on all the panels and lining everything up so that when I send the panels off to get Powercoated, they'll fit when they return.

[​IMG]
    Cut some holes in the Motherboard tray for easy cable management.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I decided to rivet the left and right front and back pieces that hold the front and rear panels together onto the frame (hope that made sense), originally these were a fixed to only the front and rear panels, but now they are attached to the framing. It also makes it a lot stronger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Top, Left and Right panels, with there respective bolts through them, that also go through the frame, this is how they are going to be attached (no slide rails like you would find on a manufactured case). They all fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What your looking at is the floor of the case, the side pieces hold the HDD Caddy in place and the motherboard tray when its attached, I had these alcoves, that eventually would have gathered a lot of dust, so I added 'L' shaped alu to the lip of each on (left and right sides) to seal it in better, tidy it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Random Completed Frame pics.

So pretty much its all done now and this weekend is looking good for the first part of the powder coating.

The total estimate for powder coating (2 colors) the entire case is a little over $400.00 AUD, which is a weeeeee bit expensive for me, so I've decided I'm going to paint the frame, and get the rest done by the professionals, should save me at least $100.00 AUD

My next update will be hardware and PC toy related (fans and gadgets) related.

Seth.

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Ohmygod, I missed so much!

Dying to see it painted

14. DragonONE

DragonONE What's a Dremel?

Ingenious... absolutely amazing :)

Really looking forward to see the finished product :D

15. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

So much nibbling I believe your hand must be like a caterpillar squeezer!!!
    Man beautiful work!!! I cant wait to see that mod finished!!! Go on buddy!

16. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

wow just totaly breath taking... Im on the edge of my seat to see what its like when its all lit up :jawdrop:

17. sethnmalice

@ stonesurd, Please don't die, you wont have to wait much longer :)

@ DragonONE, ty :) me too, sometimes i feel like a little kid in a candy store.

@ Ang3L, lol, ty :)

@ Editor22, ty :) I cant wait either.

18. sethnmalice

PAINTING 101

The quote I got for powdercoating everything was a wee bit over the budget, so I thought that for somethings I would just paint it myself. I'm not a pro, but I can do a decent enough job for it to be passable and it'll save me a $100AUD or so.

So I'm painting the frame, prior to painting it I etched in which was the front and which was the rear of the case, as both sides look identical, this wont be noticable at all once all the panels go on.

Not many photos sorry, I sanded the frame down with 800 grit, then applied etch primer to it, did 2 coats sanded in between,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, the frame isn't going to be seen once everything is put together, but I love RED!!!! so I chose a Marinello Red...(spelling might be wrong). Trying to match the Red paint to the red acrylic I'm using.

and this is the end result, although it needs another coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Base plate will be riveted on last as I have to put in the case feet and also rivet the motherboard tray in from the underside of the case.

Im at a toss up between using white as my primary or a red/candy red, and either matt or satin black for the added pieces, no definite color choice as yet... The main acrylic is mirrored.

More soon.

Seth

19. DereX

DereX What's a Dremel?

Where did you get the corner connectors you used for building the frame, and what would you call them?
    I tried to explain them to an employee at Lowe's and they just looked at me strange.
    Thanks

20. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

wow this is fantastic !