1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : Future Schlock by AnG3L (15/October Let the bench Saga begin!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AnG3L, 9 Jun 2010.

?

Simple paint or aluminum engraving

Poll closed 4 Jul 2010.
  1. Simple powder coating

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Aluminum engraving with circle based designs and then powder coating

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thank you my friend for your kind words! Yeah I told my self to combine factory look modding with some crazy art in the way for a gothic outcome! Lets see how it s going to look like at the end! ;)

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

An excellent start to a new mod Alex. The grills look amazing as does the drive bays. This is something very different then what you have done before, i am very much looking forward to seeing how this turns out :D.

3. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Very nice build, but stainless can be a bitch to polish. You should get a **** quality stainless actually, those normally are less hard and a bit better to polish. But since you've already got the panels, good luck sanding that.. But, stainless steel (due to the price) usually got a pretty good finish, so maybe you can get right to the polishing, unless you got scratches and stuff..

I'm following this since I absolutely love stainless! Very nice design, too.

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Jason thanks so much buddy, indeed something different, I wanted to show my other side too!
    :) :)

Thanks friend, I know that I have to work really hard on that :wallbash: But modding is fun and I will take it easy and try to do my best! :thumb:

5. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

looks good mate

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks man!

7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

First official update guys .
    Unlike my other mods these updates will be more scheduled and planned in a specific order and not random as before.
    First my work on the chassis. As you will see my first attempt was a failure for two reasons.
    1)I didnt like it (felt somehow not sturdy)
    2)I did a mistake on measurement.

So lets start this journey again!
    9 o clock in the morning, nice weather, not so hot, its was a pleasure working!
    Also made my self a "free" bench with a steel stand and a piece of old furniture I found somewhere! As long I can work on it, its ok!

[​IMG]

Took some measures using the top panel as a guide for the frames. Double check just to be sure! :)

[​IMG]

Drawing a 45 degree on the 15mm aluminum bar:

[​IMG]

The lack of power tools can sometimes be a real PITA but modding is fun too so lets enjoy it with some more extra sweat and pain! ;P Theres nothing that you cant do with a dremel and a set of files!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here they are the main pieces for the frames:

[​IMG]

Marking the rivet holes on the smallest piece of the frame before assembling anything. I will attach the frame on the back plate of the case.
    Drilled with a 3mm drill bit for steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a 20mm aluminum angle to make some 15mm angles for the frame.

[​IMG]

What did I tell you about the lack of power tools? I could go to a friend of mine and do
    all of this and save myself some precious time, but how could I loose all this fun??? :)

[​IMG]

Before filing:

[​IMG]

After!!!!!

[​IMG]

And this is how I did it!

[​IMG]

Marked for rivet holes

[​IMG]

I also sanded these corners because afterward it wont be possible to do so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the corners I cut with the laser to assembly some part of the frame:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now its time for the 20mm aluminum bars. This were I did the mistake. I cut the bars and after that I made some changes before I send the drawings to the laser cutter and then I forgot to fix the length and it was 2,5 mm longer that the rest...... I fixed that later though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And at the end of the first day I came up with this but I decided to take it apart and work
    again , fixing the mistakes and working with a different approach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today and this is the mistake I ve been talking about. After I took everything apart
    it was time to fix some mistakes.

Dremel and files for the win!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My route was different this time. I decided to begin by attaching some pieces of the frame on the back plate and the move accordingly. I used my clamps to hold the pieces in place, riveted them and repeat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, so far everything looks ok, the frame will be finished hopefully tomorrow.
    The top and bottom panel will be attached also on the main chassis. I will use no-countersunk rivets in some places and some countersunk stainless steel screws in other places. It will be a Gothic look but not so intense, going everything countersunk and very clean it will loose the extreme at the end.

Wish me good luck again guys cause I really need it! Peace to you all guys and respect!

8. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Great job on the frame so far Alex! Looks sturdy and true. It's important to have the frame square so everything else lines up with it later. I'm glad you went back and fixed your slight mistake, it will be worth the effort later on. :thumb:

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks Brian my friend! Nice to have you here! It needs a lot of work, I will use some aluminum stick to close some imperfections or hide some countersunk rivets, I have a lot to do yet, it a bit complicated to explain right now, I will show in my next updates though what I am talking about! :) Peace!

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Oh and thanks for the tip bro, you gave me an idea .... ;)

11. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Dude that frame is clean. And dremel and file for the win.

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thank you my friend, I always put a little of "street" modding inside my work, cause at the end, this is the true spirit of modification. Peace!

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Wow angel! what an awesome fist update :jawdrop: hoping you've just set the bar for the rest of the log :thumb:

14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks buddy much appreciated! Many left to do yet on the frames, many tricks and little details, I just try to find.... my way! ;)

15. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Being a perfectionist without tools is so sad and waste of time.... I will take apart the whole thing and go to a friend a do a professional work....

16. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

From what i see your doing a perfect job

You have the natural ability to be able to lay something out and execute it with your hands! very few people are doing that as on now and its sad to see its all about cnc a whole case and waterjet side panels its turned from modding to engineering!

I understand small amounts but it seems people have forgot the wonderful things you can achieve with some of the most basic tools and your imagination, Take Project: AnG3L for an example the front piece grill made from a racing car was just unbelievable!

I've almost ran out of credit i can give you man believe me your work inspires me and many others you can see that by the type of response you get from them.

Sorry for the rant :thumb:

17. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks for all these wonderful words my friend, unfortunately I have to break the rules because I cant afford buy all these powers tools to do my job, so I decided to give my artistic side in planning this time and also use high end machinery, the concept is almost impossible to be done with a dremel only! Imagine working on the stainless steel with a dremel!!! LoL its going to take 10 years and a million dollars in dremel bits!! Now I have to do the frame in a friend of mine cause I didnt like it, it feels clapsy so I dont want to do any mistakes..... Still is modding though it requires some fantasy, planning and execution! :)

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Oh i did'nt realize that you where going to be cutting stainless steel thats understandable theres a limit to what you can do sadly i don't have the access to machines at all for the time being and so im stuck with alternative materials.

Im really enjoying this build though Mod on Man!

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks my friend, my access on those machines wasnt free for sure, I wish I had such connects but unfortunately I dont. I sacrificed my precious Euros in order to have something to do with my free time which I have plenty! lol ;)

20. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

looks good matey.