1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project : FX-57 MaxPC RotM, Sept.2006!!!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 10 May 2006.

1. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

After I cut and filed the foam, I simply laid the fiberglass strips over the foam directly. I then sanded the crap out of the fiberglass after it cured.
    That answer your question??

2. hellas91

hellas91 What's a Dremel?

Oh sorry,i didn't see the fiberglass!
    I thought it was a strengthener prodouct for the foam!

Thank u very much

Byez! :)

p.s.:sorry for my bad english :p

3. Tech-Daddy

It is quite alright! No worries!
    Glad I could clear it up!

4. Boston Strangler

Boston Strangler What's a Dremel?

How much of a b*tch was it working with metal-foam-putty(?)-fibreglass? Been contemplating the same method myself, and I'm very curious as to how much I'll swear. ;)

5. Tech-Daddy

Let me state, for the record. that I believe I used too much resin. My fiberglass was almost like ballistic armor! ;) It made sanding a *very* painstaking affair. Thank goodness that I at least had a power sander to take some of the leg work out of the sanding.

I can say, without a doubt, that the sanding "on this project" was difficult. Working with the foam was easy. Just spray it on and cut off what you dont need. Be ready for a mess though! :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

6. Boston Strangler

Boston Strangler What's a Dremel?

The fiancee-person sharing the apartment with me will be just thrilled with that news. :D

But, it's all for the good of ...my case. So I guess she'll understand.

7. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

I love your mod :rock:
    It's one of the coolest I've seen so far,
    rock on m8!

8. Tech-Daddy

Dec.10th- cleanup and stuff...

Well then... this one's for free!
    ;)

LUNCH BREAK!!!! morning update!

Paint is fixed and drying. Next id to get the bottomw of the top manel with the scoop and paint it gloss black (to match with the powdercoating of the frame.
    [​IMG]

My cable interface bracket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've cut a hole behind this bracket that faces the back side of the case, and fed the wires through that hole. I'll then clip the power cables and attach them to the recepticles that will be mounted in the bracket.

Back out to the garage!

9. Tech-Daddy

Dec.10th- evening push...

Lunch to Dinner pics...

Underside of the scoop. (this is actually painted now)
    [​IMG]

Custom feet created for this computer. Start with a acrylic block, put it on a spindle, and put a file to it! I did not want round, but square did not sit with the curves that are predominant in the striping and window. So, I blended them! ;) I plan on covering these with the chrome vinyl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Meteor light controllers: (before and after... no pansy ass blue going in here!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wall that will have the UV light firing though it's edge:
    [​IMG]

10. hellas91

hellas91 What's a Dremel?

Looks cool ;)

I like the inverters too much! :D

11. Tech-Daddy

Yeah... me too! Little touches!

12. Tech-Daddy

Dec.11th-getting closer....

getting much closer to full realization!

[​IMG]

I have a little bit of touchup to do to the front Bezel, and I'm redux'ing my power lines that were already done.

I'm not adding in additional jacks to attempt to handle the proper grounding. The only 2 that will not have all of their ground lines are the SATA connector (which will have a optical drive and an older SATA drive) and the P4 AUX connector (12v x2, Ground x1 <normally 2>).

;)

13. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... looks like my inventors just were signed up on my pant list^^

14. Tech-Daddy

Dec.11th - submission and exhaustion....

I am tired, exhausted, and glad this thing is over...
    ;)

We'll see what the others brought to the table.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll talk more about the events of today... later. Right now, I can feel my energy leaking out my feet... ;)

Nighty night all!

15. Tech-Daddy

Dec.19th - "Take thy dagger from my heart...." ;)

Hehehehe, nothing like being dramatic! This was when I learned that BOSS had not won.
    ------------------------------------------------------

They judged tonight, and I say with a clear heart that another modder won the contest.
    mr_kholl won with his stellar mod!
    His mod submission...

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions throughout this contest, I sincerely appreciate it!

There are things that I had planned for BOSS that I never incorporated. I'll still be continuing on those, just at my pace! ;)

16. Tech-Daddy

Jan.01 - Reflection. Hindsight is always 20/20...

Hehehe... now that I have had time to digest and recoup a little bit of sleep, I'll let you all in on what happened in the final day of modding.

1st thing - I learned that I severly underestimated how hard my breakout panel was going to be. On the day of submission, at about 2:00 that afternoon, I test fired BOSS... it did not boot. I had a short somewhere, and I had done too much work to know where it was at. All of my power supply soldering line cutting, plug modding and cable management, custom cable management.... I had 30+ possible points of failure and no time to test them all. I made a snap decision and ran up to the local Microcenter, and bought a new PS.

I needed to get the machine together. I needed to see it lighting up. and POST'ing... I needed to have the build wrapping up as I was hoping to have it done by dinner time (optimistic miss #2... it *always takes longer than you want it to!)

So, I went and bought another RealPower 550, transfered my fan grill mod and my power meter to the new unit, routed cables as best as I could loomed the other stuff. When I yanked my previously cut unit, I had to pull the power break out panel with my screw in connectors. All of that soldering and wire work, all of that time... I had to make a decisionm and that was a tough one.

I will complete the break out panel, and I will need to order some other jacks to make it happen properly, but now I have the PS outside the mod, and the lines ready to be created and tested. PLUS, the addidional time has given me an idea that I am going to chase for a few to ease the connnections on all of the wireing.

17. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

what is that cooler over the cpu?

it's great! but I didn't see you mention anything about it in the log.

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

eeer...

i tink uits Coolermaster Hyper 48 or something, with a car intake filter bolted ontop.

19. Tech-Daddy

*ding*
    On the nose there.... it is a Hyper48 sorry about that!
    :duh: :duh:

Next update coming shortly!
    :thumb:

20. Tech-Daddy

Apr.8th - the car needs accessories....

What is a car without is accessories???

[​IMG]

It was one of those little things that I did not do in the end... the chrome will be smoked with the MetalCast smoke that I used on the middle stripe, and the red color will be painted over with the OSHA orange. There is a little fan inside the unit, as well as a blue LED that I need to replace with a white one to keep it inline with the rest of the mod. Guess I could go orange on the LED too... might esperiment a bit on that route:
    [​IMG]

While I work on the case build out on DST (another mod I am working on), since I am out there... figured I'd quit slacking off and get these little ones worked out too!
    ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: