1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "G5 Retaliation" March 19th. Alive and kicking! Happy days!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cheapskate <<-- Wow... Thx man... It's replies like that which keeps me going... But ofcourse you knew that! :)
    Just wait for the final result, It looks crazy in Solidworks, so I hope it will look even better IRL! :)

2. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Have to agree with Cheapskate ;) It looks factory-made :p

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

brinkz0r<-- Ehm.. I made it on a cnc-mill at work... Hence, it IS factory made! :hehe:
    But thx a bunch! :) I will surely do the cpu block monday... The machine isn't going to do anything else anyways, so I'll just set it up, and do normal work while it runs! :)

Did I mention that I love my job? :lol:

4. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Damn, I thought I commented on this log before. First of all, That's a clean custom front. I really like it. and WAHOOO FOR CUSTOM BLOCKS!!!!

5. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Brett89<<-- Thx man... I kinda like the front myself... Actually feel bad that it's going in the scrap when I pick up the G5 case... Perhaps I'll just throw some other hardware in it and give it to a friend...
    And yeah... Love the idea of custom blocks myself, that's why I do it... There's no way it's economical, with design and all they might take about 4-5 hours to make, and if you think of the prices of a standard one, there's no intelligence in making them yourself... But hey... We do this for fun, and because we like it, right? :)

6. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

LMAO! Would I sell my soul for 20$ a piece....LOL
    I do this for fun, and I do it because I like to have something that noone else have... And I like a challenge! :)
    I could probably do them in... 1½ hour a piece if I made 1000 of them... If you then add the price of copper and mill-pieces (or what ever they are called, the things that do the cutting) OMFG... I make around $35 an hour at work, and in the weekend I make... Let's just say; a bit more... ;)
    So no thanks! *LOL*

8. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

damn hey where did u learn to mill?

9. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

that would have been an amazing waterblock.
    btw, nice pay.

10. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Tile<-- Thx a lot... :) I'm pretty pleased with it myself! :)

[xXx] <-- To become a machinist in Denmark, is a 4 year education... And I finished 6 years ago, and have been working as such, ever since!:) But on CNC everything is possible! ;-)

500mph <-- WOULD have been? *LOL* The money comes with the job, don't really think about it, what matters to me is that I have a job I love! I could make more if I wanted to switch to another company! :)

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

And the plot thickens!

Sooooo... Here we go!

Brought the recently diseased Apple G5 home today... MY GOD... These things are heavy as ****, and a pain to rip apart! But modders love a challenge! :)

I've found a couple of very nice G5 --> PC mods online, and they've given me some ideas! Or rather, I've found some "This is cool, but I'll do it another way" ideas! :D

This is the "Take it apart, and wonder how the **** I'm gonna fit an ATX board and everything else in it" part of the build... :D

For starters... One is not at all surprised it died, as you probably will notice in the next 2 pics!

Before gutting it:

[​IMG]

Watercooling system removed:

[​IMG]

The bottom plate and the PSU after the disassembly:

[​IMG]

Damn... This liquid actually made some discolouration in the aluminum... Through the.. Ehm.. Eloxation I think it's called in english! :)

The cooling unit itself:

[​IMG]

I plan to "reuse" this unit, well, the radiator at least, and do something funky to the "G5" front of it! Just you wait... Still not quite sure what it will look like, but it will surely get a couple of Mac-owners angry... *LOL*

It will be relocatet to the front of the case...

The case itself without mobo and such:

[​IMG]

This to give you an idea of where I'm going...

I love the way the harddrive mounts are placed! I will keep this, but it will be rotated 90 degrees to face the front, and pulled out towards the open side, from which I took the pic... This will make it possible for me to re-use the measly 4 mounts Apple provides, and still be able to add a SLI board later on, when ca$hflow allows it! :D
    Meaning, that the mobo can be pulled up behind the hdd-mounts, so the PCI-E will line up with the stock back of the case!
    By doing this, I will also be able to tear apart my PSU, and place it where the stock one is!

That's all for now, unfortunately this weekend is filled with family, working on a friends appartment, and a 25 year birthday... I wish I could say I'll get on with it sunday, but... You know! :naughty:

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Tile <-- I've seen it, and it's very nice work! Though I don't understand why he starts with a PERFECT size mobo, goes through another one, and ends up with a third... Which is larger, and actually makes it harder to do the mod... But never mind, It's really nice! :)

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The poor thing looks like someone PEED in it.

14. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Cyprio's project too for reference dude ! Looking forward to seeing this develop ! :thumb:

15. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

looks like they used acid for coolant.
    i know all these fella's are telling you too look at cyprio, mr beans, or the one in the modding section.
    i say, look at those as ideas and inspirations. do whatever you want with it.
    oh, just hat a backplate from an old computer to mount the mobo too.

16. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Woohoo! Another G5 casemod. :D

Agree with Cheapskate that those stains inside dont look nice! LOL - are you sure the watercooling died, maybe you friend just really 'needed to go'. :)

Nice idea about mounting the mobo partly behind the HDDs. Cant wait to see what else you have in mind. :)

Cyp.

17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

500mph<-- Noooooo... That's just too easy, using a standard backplate! :nono:

But anyways, I'm looking for inspiration all over the place! :)

Cyprio<-- Don't hope so... If so, it must really burn when he P**s *LOL*

I like your mod a lot, and I might steal your idea with the LED's mounted in the top... But ofcourse it will be UV LED's! :D

The mobo mount is the only way I see, that will make it possible to keep the "integrity" of the inside intact, and don't worry, I am also looking forward to see what else I have in mind! *LOL*

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I would polish the cr*p out of the mesh, then add a 1/2" glass green plexi coverplate. To keep airflow I would mount it on 3/4" spacers.

...just to make sure people KNEW it was Mac+.

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

People have been peeing on Macs for years. I haven't touched one since I retired my PowerPC 6500!

Angel OD, I love where you're going with this. Nice, nice work so far.

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cheapskate<-- Not really sure about polishing... But I'll figure out as I go along! :) The design is on a need-to-know basis, and apparently my brain does not think I need to know where this is going... Yet! *LOL*

E.E.L. Ambience <-- Should I add something like this then? *LOL* (10 mins in photoshop can do miracles! :D )

[​IMG]

On an other note, the idea of rotating the harddrive mounts 90 degrees to make room for the mobo, is best shown like this:
    The red lines are ofcourse cutlines! :cooldude:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Me think this will turn out great! Pls correct me if I'm wrong... (Though I will do it anyways! *LOL*)

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
Tags: