1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "G5 Retaliation" March 19th. Alive and kicking! Happy days!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 18 Sep 2007.

1. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Sweet, thanks for the answer...
    I'll bet your inbox is filling up with people begging you to make one for them too! (despite all your previous comments about that idea! :lol:)

Now... do one in copper ... (I know, I know, too heavy) :)

Edit: agree with nighttrain... adds an extra dimension of coolness.

2. turboshifter

turboshifter What's a Dremel?

you should mill a design of groves that don't interfere with the existing water tunnel things to help increase surface area

3. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

What a good idea!!!
    I love your idea, turboshifter!

4. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

beautiful gpu cooler :thumb:...........have to say it again ......awesome ........
    . . . .[​IMG]

Alan

5. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

E.E.L. <-- Thx! :) Can't wait to pull the whole computer apart to get this installed, but it will still be a week or 2... Got some minor things to tend to in the build, and I want everything set up and ready to work on, when I take it apart... So it can be rebuild asap!

Aon <-- :thumb:

NightrainSrt4 <-- Thx a lot! I know a lot of ppl would like me to make a huge ass block to cover the surface, but I like it like this... A bit outside the box, and IMHO it definately gives it some personality!

ModMinded <-- Np m8! :thumb:
    Actually, not a lot of ppl have written... Just a couple, and I'm thinking about helping them out, if it seems like something that would be fun for me to do. I like a challenge, but I'm not spending time doing something for someone else, if I don't have fun doing it!

Turboshifter <-- Great minds think alike! ;) I had the thought, but I want some mass, not just surface. Surface cools, mass keeps it cool. In my mind I've found a pretty good balance between those two, but I guess we'll see how it performs. :)

theAlien <-- :thumb:

It's running loop in the kitchen now, with the CPU and NB block too... Gonna post a cpl of pics of that later, just to fill something in here! :)

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That rules! - YOU rule!
    I thought you were going to make a single part top too. This is better.:D
    Close that test loop up! You can't pressure test like that!

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cheaps <-- Thx m8, glad you like it! :thumb:

:wallbash: How could I be THAT stupid??? The impeller didn't want to turn when I hooked it up, so I broke the top off of the pump... Forgot all about the pressure that is supposed to be INSIDE... Thx Cheaps, just fixed it with modders favorite! Glue, and a cd-cover! :lol:

Edit: It had atmospheric pressure... :p

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

9. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Man, you rock, but sometimes you make me ROTFL!

10. turboshifter

turboshifter What's a Dremel?

i see

amazing waterblock
    i just noticed the maze designs in the fluid areas
    they look great!
    im not so sure about the plexi tops though. I think one peice would look cleaner.
    maybe its just my OCD :worried:

11. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

That block is a nice piece of engineering Angel, great work :) You gotta love SW ;)

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well, I'd like to see a one piece cover as well but I like your solution and I don't think it's worth the time, effort and money to build the one-piece just to see how it looks. :)

13. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Hey,

I am designing my own waterblock for LGA 1366 and i just need to know what the specs are for the copper block you used for this build?? (height, width, lenght)...

thankx

Last edited: 18 Jan 2009
  14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

slisgrinder <-- Uhm... The copperblock itself is the same size as the one in aluminum, 60 x 60 x approx 10 mm. If you wanna know the specs. on the acryllic top, holes and so on, let me know, but I don't know the difference between LGA775 and LGA1366... :)

15. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

60x60, not bad since that is a lot of working area, and the heatspreader on the LGA 775 is 28.2mm x 28.2mm

the new LGA 1366 is just slightly bigger in all aspects, heatspreader is 32mm x 35mm and the holes for mounting the heatsink is 80mm x 80mm from each other measuring from the center of the holes. The holes itself are 4mm in diameter. I just needto find out the height from the surface of the mobo to the top of the processor's heatspreader then i can figure out the acrylic top size...

just another question, how did you mount the waterblock to the mobo???
    also how thick is the copper base under the machining???

16. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

slisgrinder <-- :read: :eyebrow:

Anywhoooo... The waterblock is mounted via the acryllic top. There are pictures earlier in the thread. About page 15-17 I would think... That should gie you an idea of how it's mounted.

I milled it 8mm deep, so the bottom is a little less than 2 mm thick in the block itself...

17. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Just the way i designed it in solidworks...
    1 cm thick total, with 8mm deep milling...

I did look through the entire thread, but skimmed read the thing (so much reading) but had a look through the pics

thankx again...

18. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Just a small update... Waaaay overdue for what it is! :lol:

I really wanted to get the window for the side done, since that gaping hole has been bugging me for a year now..

Btw, I had to make a new top for the CPU block, as the old one has the "Xtreme2O" logo, which I don't want anymore...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So... 2 ways to go with the window, the easy way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not even worth mentioning, so let's get to it, milling and filing.

Sharp corners:

[​IMG]
    Getting ready to file the corners:

[​IMG]

Corner done:

[​IMG]

Inserted, and looking pretty good IMHO:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you go, one less thing to worry about, one step closer to finished mod... As if there is such a thing... :lol:

I'm looking to pulling a computer home from work in the next couple of days, so I can get this project pulled apart, and still have something to write my log on... :) And also I don't wanna rush anything to get it together again, just because I get the shakes from not having Bit-Tech near! :thumb:

I just need to write me a little list of what I must remember to do, before assembling the whole thing again, then it's ready to be torn to pieces! :)

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  19. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Pretty snug i would say. :) :thumb:

Cyp.

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cyprio <-- Thx m8! I had a little sneak peak at another mod in here before I made it... If you catch my drift! :thumb:

So what's next for you? What can we expect from the master of the Mediterranean? :)

I'm gunning for this to be able to stand up to your mod, though it's gonna be a battle! But hey, it keeps me moving! :D

Tags: