1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: G5 Wannabe 30.12. 07. - lightning

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by eXplode, 16 Dec 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The pure acetone can be found in hardware stores and paint shops, but It will turn your polystyrene white like the paint did.
    A film or sandblasting sound like good choices.

2. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

Hi all.
    Here goes next update:

1st thing i noticed when i put this thing together is that HDD-s were loud. And i am very sensitive about any sounds from computer. Alu cage was too resonant, and seek noize was very crisp. So i found new material: 2 component rubber, 1 component is harder-4 holding discs together, and other was softer-sound dampening. And here is the result:

[​IMG]

And that is much much better on my ear :)

Here are new lightning shots. Green realy didnt fit my room colors so i went red, wich turned out to be yet another wrong choice. :duh:

Also i dint sand leds on top so i didnt get uniformed lightning :duh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here u can see imperfection in aluminum. I coudnt fix that cos it was too deep, and i coudnt bondo it cos i want brushed look. its not that bad u can see it only when strong light hits that spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brrrr its damn cold outside :/

[​IMG]

So this is the point where i stoped, to take break and went onto another small project. There are just too many things to sort out 1st before continuing this mod. I need to find good working solution for my acrylic, need to buy or boorow heatgun and try to work with it on bending acrylic. Also i need to decide do i go thicker alu that is clean from imperfections or stay on this one.. This one works fine regarding construction toughness and holds well. Handles slightly bend when i cary it but return to original state when done.

To do:

-make acrylic window or go other solution - alu with sign cutted or something else
    -make inside masks to hide cables.
    -sleeve cables if nececary
    -change leds into white - non spot ones
    -finish cooling
    -make small logo from acrylic for front bottom spot
    -change switch 4 flat one, this one i use for second project im working on
    -change front hdd and power indicator leds into white ones.
    -fix dvd drives so i can open them by presing finger on front mask
    -change 120mm scythe 800rpm with nexus ones - paint them in black they are orange

This is all i can remember now :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I WISH U LOTS OF FINE MODS IN YEAR TO COME!! :dremel:

Last edited: 30 Dec 2007
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks good. If anyone asks about the dent you can say:"Where the**** did that come from?":D
    That looks very cold. It's "cold" here, but I need to mow the yard.:sigh:

4. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Hmm.. :idea: if some one where to make a "The Furnice" mod, this kind of lighting would be a nice design element!

*brrr* I hate the cold.. and it's cold here too :waah:

5. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

i don't know if you've resolved your acrylic clouding issue, but on my Danger Den acrylic case, i use the Novus Cleaning System to a) repair deep and fine scratches, b) repel dust and static cling, and c) leave my case clear enough to see out the other side

www.dangerden.com sells it with their acrylic cases, if you call they may be able to direct you to a place to buy a kit seperately.. only prob you may have is that they're in the USA

6. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

well, thx on the info, but my problems were on frosting , not clearing from scratches.

i think i need real furnice cos it's too damn cold :p

time to turn off computer fans and get some heat from cpu :p

7. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Hehe, I hear ya! I keep filling two bottles with hot water to have my feet on when sitting at the computer. <=) When I get water cooling for my computer I'll put a 'feet-heat-exchanger' on the floor in the loop before the radiator. I bet I could cool the cpu with feet-chill alone, but I'll have a real radiator too, just to be safe. ;P

8. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

Regarding plexy:

I found company that makes neon signs and similar stuf, and they also sell plexy. They got soooo many kind of nice smoked/frosted ones. BUT, minimal buy is 1.5m x something... so i think i'll just go on with project 2 and 3, and then, buy all plexy at once and finish all 3 mods. Price for 4 mm is around 35$ for 0.5mx1.5m.

9. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Wow great mod! You have so much patience!

How thick is the aluminum in the front with all those holes?

10. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

Thx man. All aluminum is 1.5 mm thick. Including front side with holes.

11. Cigano

Cigano \O/

Wow this case a show like this to see!
    Visit the www.casemodbr.com Brazilian is a great forum!

12. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Nice work explode, loved the work.

Got one question for you. When you were bending the handles, were you only using your hands to bend it over the pole or did you do it another way? I only ask as i need to do the same for my mod as i need to bend a 10mmx10mm 90degree bend on my front panel and it would be great to hear how to do it by you.

:)

13. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

Thx.
    For the rounded smooth bend i used only hands over handle. For the "sharp" 90 i used hand and hammer after. Gl with the mini beast :)

14. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

90 degree shoulding be a problem with me as ive got a bend though was wondering how you done the curve. What thickness was your aluminium? 1.5mm rings a bell for some reason. You have much trouble in bending it. All mine will be 2mm, apart from the bit i need to hand bend which is either going to be 0.8mm steel or 1.5mm aluminium, depending on which perforated material i go for.

**EDIT** Btw and thanks :)

Last edited: 22 Jan 2008