1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Geared Up! Resurrection! (AGAIN!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by grumblemarc, 8 Oct 2005.

1. grumblemarc

grumblemarc What's a Dremel?

Okay.

Decided to get the PSU installed today. The thing that bothered me was
    that there was no LED lighting on this versio of Hiper's PSU's. Pardon for
    the lack of decent pics but I'm back to using the old Camedia today. SO.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I opened back up the PSU and swapped in the 120mm Evercool. I
    used 6/32 hex head screws with acorn nuts because regular fan
    mounting screws do not work. And if they do I wasn't going to make
    them.

[​IMG]

I left the stock 80mm in because I just didn't feel lke modding LEDs into it
    at the moment. This IS my main rig right now so down-time has got to
    be minimal. You can see that the 80mm is very low profile.

[​IMG]

I put it all back together and mounted the jumper dohickey to the
    ATX cabling. Just to make SURE I didn't screw up such a simple thing
    I ran it into the workroom and attached a fan to it before powering it up.

[​IMG]

Even with the horribly bad pic you can see that the Evercool does throw
    off a slight bit of light. Not so overpowering and I was pretty satisfied that
    it wasn't all that bright. But it IS brighter than seen in this bad pic.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Running it back out to the case I proceeded to mount it up.
    I was concerned about the clearance in getting the PSU mounted
    through the back of the case due to the added height of the nuts
    and I was right. I had to slide the PSU in through the side of the
    case and then mount it to the mounting plate. This would have
    been MURDER if not for this thing being modular because of all the
    tubing routed through there.

I must say that this thing it super quiet. I was much impressed
    with that. Also you can't see it (becasue I forgot to take a pic) but
    the ATX cable was just long enough. I can put off instlling my
    pass-through solution for the moment but for boards that have the ATX
    connector on the other side, like the Chaintech I have sitting here, this
    WILL be a problem.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2006
  2. grumblemarc

Project: Geared Up!

Wuzzup!

Decided to finally make the move to the new format.
    Original thread HERE.
    New worklog HERE .

The project is moving slow but steady and being held up with the wait of some more waterjet cut parts to get fabricated for the side panels. I would say that I'm closer to finishing this thing.

Thanks for looking!

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Nice! PSU looks great, I have the Blue one with LEDs. I didn't realise the black one didn't come with any! Good job on the conversation!

4. grumblemarc

Not so good news.

The new PSU doesn't seem to be capable of running my 6800.

I shut down the machine last night and when I restarted I got a looooong boot, video instability shortly thereafter with TONS of artifacts. That damned alarm on the card drove me nuts. I swapped in my 6600gt in the meantime and I'm happy/unhappy to report that the rig now runs stable.

I'll probably pull the PSU out and remove the LED fan in there just in case it's responsible for the instability. Hell, FrozenCPU sent me one of their new PSU testers so I'll grab that up and get testing.

Looks like the Hiper may be all hype.

5. grumblemarc

Well. The rig became totally unusable after my last post and needless to say that I was PISSED! I was trying to use the color picker in Photoshop and the damned thing just froze up on me. SO...

I spent the last several hours doing a bunch of things.

Firstly, I sleeved the TTGI PSU I just pulled out of this beast to make room for that poor performing Hiper PSU. I have learned my lesson with that one believe you me.

Second, while I was doing that I contemplated whether or not to just go ahead and add the remainder of the watercooling gear to the mix since I was going to be down for a while. I didn't contemplate long and went ahead and gathered up all the waiting parts right after I finished the sleeving. Ultimately a PCP&C is gonna power this thing but the steadfast Superflower will keep things running until then.

I came up with a sneaky solution to get by the PNY 6800GT's fan sensing issue that kept me from booting with the vid card block installed. I'll get more into details after I finish resizing and posting the pics.

All in all I added another rad, the Innovatek GPU block and the "Innovadrive" to the loop. The Innovatek HPPS PLUS 12v Pump seems to be able to handle all that extra headroom without issue. Temps are sitting nicely with the CPU@30, GPU@43 (GPU ambient@32, which didn't change all that much so the stock cooling was doing it's job), and the hard drive sitting at 33 degrees celcius. Not bad if I do say so.

So that makes a mojor portion of this mod complete. Just a few more details to take care of and it's all over. I shouldn't have to mod anything major interior wise so I can concentrate on finishing up the exterior..

Now let me get to Photoshopping so I can get some good pics up. By the time you see them it'll be my birthday!

Later.

6. grumblemarc

PICS!!!

First off a quick look at how I got around the PNY's fan issue.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see I simply rigged an aftermarket chipet fan to the underside of the card. It's powered right off the card itself so the stupid card can get over itself. I read where a rigged up resistor might help with that but I didn't want to go searching for any just then. The fan serves nothing in the extra cooling department. It's just to trick the vid card into thinking the stock solution is still present. It's only temporary so don't freak.

[​IMG]

Here's a wider shot if the innards where you may be able to make out where the "Innovadrive" is actually hooked up. I don't know why I didn't but I thought I took more shots of it than that. Possibly I have imbibed a tad much?

[​IMG]

The location of the 2nd rad. It's real cramped in that area. Hope it doesn't affect airflow too much.

Some of the tubing is clear becasue it's new and some is cloudy Don't know if that's from the Innovaprotect fluid or not. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything other than looks.

Here are some exterior shots of the case. I let the wife takes these.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I still have to finish off that cut to the panel of the main window. Maybe when I sober up I'll take a jigsaw to it. I tried the Dremel once and it took too long.

That's all for now. Going out to celebrate!

Later.

7. grumblemarc

I must report that the HIper PSU is not a dog after all. I tested it and it is rock solid. Possibly it was something about the loss of amperage across all those bulkhead connections I had setup. I have it installed right now on a 939 rig I just put together and am experiencing no issues.

8. grumblemarc

Here's what up to date.

I've been attempting to get ahold of ANYbody that can laser/waterjet cut some final pieces of aluminum for me and haven't heard back from any of them This is what is taking so long to finish up this project.

In the meantime I've been sitting on some last bits of mirrored black plexi and I've decided to modify my front faceplate design just a little.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's a little more simplistic than the first but takes care of a lot of problems I have with the front of this case. Number one being that you can see all the cables I have routed through this area because of the LED in the Evercool fan. In the design the case front will be cutout where the casebadge is now and an 80mm round fan cathode and silver perforated mesh installed in it's wake.

If I like the way it comes out I'll be even more anxious to get this cut from aluminum. I have a piece of stock coming in that I won off of eBay.The circle cutouts in the large panel will be easy enough but I'm not too confident in my ability to cut that (separate) gear that is also shown on this version of the panel.

You'll also notice there's no provision in this design for any optical drives. That's because I realized that I hardly ever used them when they were installed anyhow. I removed it and installed it in that clear acrylic Beantech enclosure with another DVD burner so now I have a disk duplicator to play with.

In place of the optical drive I installed another harddrive in an Ultimate Hard Drive Cooler (minus the crappy plastic faceplate).

[​IMG]

If you haven't tried one of these let me tell you that these work like MAD. It keeps that drive a full 5-6 degrees celius COOLER (26-28celcius idle, 30-32celcius load) than the water cooled one at all times.

I'll be replacing it with the black version though (minus the crappy plastic faceplate of course).

[​IMG]

I'm also trying to get my hands on some Aquadrive faceplates so if anyone across the pond can help me out I'd appreciate it. I've been trying to get ahold of a an etailer there and I'm just waiting for some responses to emails.

Well that's it for right now. Later.

9. grumblemarc

Quick update.

Got tired of waiting since I never heard back from and water/laser cutters for the final pieces I need done so I took a stab at cutting things myself.

I won a slab of 6"x4' aluminum that was 1/8" thick. I hacked off a 15.5" piece, drilled a couple of holes and attached a stainless Aquabay faceplate to the front of it. Needless to say the measurements are off because I SUCK at it but you cannot tell at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is all polished up.

[​IMG]

Check that near mirror finish.
    I didn't want to take it too far with the level of reflectivity because the rest of the parts are about this shiny.

[​IMG]

Here is how the faceplate gets mounted to the case. The rear end of the Aquabay.
    You'll notice that since I'm not using the Eheim 1046 pump on it I hacked away the pump mounting plate. Actually I did that almost right after I got it.

[​IMG]

Here's what it looks like with it ON the case.
    The FIRST thing you'll notice is that there are no more optical drives and the fan controller is gone too. Actually the fan controller is IN the rig but I don't have pics of that just yet. Now I just need some more gear pieces cut and I'll almost be finished with this thing.

Overall I'm kinda happy the way it turned out but there are many problems with this version that need to be worked out. A LOT of misalignment due to the lack of measuring skills. I think I've solved that dilemma. I also hated that I had to move the fan controller INTO the rig. The cuts were just too difficult for the tools that I have at the moment. But mark my words it WILL see the light of day again. The way it looks right now is just too plain and PRONE to fingerprints. AAAARGH!!

10. grumblemarc

Hey!

Long time no update! And guess what? STILL no update. Just waiting for some response for waterjet cut parts so I'm still hanging in there. I just bought one of these from FrozenCPU.

[​IMG]

I know I don't need to cool my RAM but it looks cool. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

11. grumblemarc

Discussion thread HERE.

After a long hiatus from this project I got some free time to try and get closer to finishing up this mod. Although I doubt I'll ever be truly finished this is about as close as I've come.

First off we have this...

[​IMG]

...and this.

[​IMG]

This is the front aluminum faceplate that I carved up a while ago.

[​IMG]

I took one of these.

[​IMG]

And simpy chucked the fan away then coupled it with one of these.

[​IMG]

I also chucked the honeycomb grill as it did not fit with the theme.
    It will eventually be replaced with a small geared ring like I planned.
    Right now it's got the regular old fan grills on it but I am whipping up
    the round mesh ones as we speak.

Here's a shot from the back if you can make this out.

[​IMG]

I also did some swapping out of components and the blowhole rings are
    also getting a nice polish today.

So here's how the case looks right now.

[​IMG]

AI chucked the Ultimate Hard Drive Cooler and I added the
    Innovatek/AquaComputer hard drive rails to the second drive.
    I swapped out the Danger Den rad for for an Aquacomputer one.

[​IMG]

I added another bulkhead fitting for a PCI-E extension to be run
    through for the vid card.

[​IMG]

And mounted my old GPU cooler onto it.

Let me tell you this was the most frustrating part of the whole
    ordeal. I thought that simply hacking off the voltage regulator
    portion of the cooler would make it fit onto the new card easily but I was
    WRONG.
    I mistakenly assumed that the only difference between the 6800 cooler
    and this one was the voltage regulator extension. If you notice there are 2
    capacitors right at the lower right hand corner
    of the stock cooler.

[​IMG]

I had to notch out a lower part of the corner of the
    cooler to allow the smaller cap to fit and then found the the cooler was
    still too long across. It hit the larger cap and cost me about 1/8" of
    clearance. So close yet so far. So I took my orbital sander to the right
    hand side of it and sanded off that nearly 1/8".

Here's what it looks like finally monted to the card.

[​IMG]

You can see the rough spot I left in my frustration. It JUST fits now.

Here is where the Noise Isolator is sitting for now until I can get my hands on
    an Aquaero.

[​IMG]

So this thing. The pass-through for the ATX connector. Ugly.
    Don't know what I was thinking.

[​IMG]

And this.

[​IMG]
    Would not fit my RAM with the heatspreaders on them
    and I wasn't about to void my Mushkin warantee. I sold it to someone
    on another forum who could use it.

So that is it for now. When I finish polishing up the blowhole rings
    I'll get pics of those.

Later.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2006