1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project, 'Girls! Girls! Girls!' - Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 - 2/8/09 - Finale

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ChurchofVirus, 21 Oct 2008.

1. ChurchofVirus

ChurchofVirus New Member

Hello and thanks for checking out my second project log. I'm ChurchofVirus, strange name perhaps but don't read into it. Been using it since I created the clan in Diablo 2. I haven't come up with a name with this mod as of yet but I'm sure it'll come to me soon. With this mod, I hope to be a little bit more ambitious with the amount of work being done than my previous Stacker Evo 'Gore' mod.

The Plan:

This idea came to me shortly after I finished my last mod. For now this will be called a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 'Stripper mod'. Stripper you ask? Well you read it correct. My inspiration for this mod had actually developed from those hardworking dancing girls who bring entertainment to men and women worldwide. A tribute perhaps? After the idea came to me I began searching for a case that not only caught my eye and had an amount of features that I could make use of, but I also wanted a case that would allow me to add more flash and wow than my last. Simple enough to guess, but I choose another Cooler Master case. I avoided the Cosmos S model since it seemed to lack some of the extra features that that 1000 model had that I could use.

My major focuses for alterations to this case will be a 'thinning' of the guts as well as two ambitious door mods. The left side will feature a window for all the viewing pleasures for the hardware and also will include a silhouette of a stripper. The right side will have a mock 'live girls neon sign'. I do in fact plan on adding a pole to the mod as well. The paint scheme will be bronze and candy purple, for the flash. I don't want to give away too much, so now you have a vague idea of what I'll be doing. I hope you enjoy seeing what I create. As mentioned before this is my second case mod. Most of the work I'll be doing on this project will be my second attempt. The cutting and sanding with a Dremel, painting and the rest of the work that a mod can have.

Quick links:

Update 1: Overview/Dissection(Eye candy)
    Mini-Update: Goodies(Junk in the trunk)
    Update 2: Cosmetics(Cosmetic Surgery)
    Update 3: Edge Finish Work(Pre-Make Up)
    Update 4: 11/3/08 -Paint I(Make Up)
    Update 5: 11/5/08 -Paint II(More Make Up)
    Update 6: 11/16/08 -Cosmetics II(More Surgery)
    Mini-Update II - 11/17/08 -Mini-Update II
    Mini-Update III - 12/9/08 -Mini-Update III
    Update 7: 1/26/09 -Let there be Light!(More, More Surgery)
    Update 8: 2/2/09 -Curves
    Mini-Update IV - 2/7/09 -Mini-Update IV
    Finale - 2/8/09 -Finale

Last edited: 8 Feb 2009
  2. ChurchofVirus

ChurchofVirus New Member

Eye Candy

Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 - An Overview and Dissection

Just for reference and to show off an already pretty stylish case, I bring you the 'stock' Cosmos 1000.

Ooooo, check out that box on this one..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Show me the money!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah! Take it off!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The case also came with this little tool kit. ^^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dust is ftl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So as you can see already, this case is a pretty solid one. Well built and with plenty of handy features.. Now sadly I have lost the pictures I took of the case dismantling.. but I pulled these together to give at least an idea. The case really gets down to barebones. Tons of removeable pieces. I have also popped all the rivets so I could do the work needed to be done easier..

Pile o' Stuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what we have so far is a dismantled case ready to be manhandled. So next update I'll have the work on the cuts and prep before paint. Until the next time.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2008
  3. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

If you really wanted to get tasteless, you could add this somehow. I saw something similar in a frys electronics around here, and couldn't believe it.

Nice cass. :eeek:

4. ChurchofVirus

ChurchofVirus New Member

Oh wow, lol. I wasn't expecting that, I had a good laugh. 'Stripper mod' is the best I could come up with at this time, I guess burlesque would work as well but the previous at least is kind of an attention grabber. The mod will be tasteful. But now I might have to get me one of those usb dancers. :naughty:

5. Mizugetsu

Mizugetsu New Member

I'm interested to see if and how your gonna turn something useless into something good

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

No need to hide your pron folder here...:D
    I looks more like you 'cut up', rather than 'stripped'. I like the Neon strip club sign idea. You could do the side-lit etched plexi animation too.

-Reminds me of a sign I saw driving by a seedy area years ago... It said 'Nud lape dancing.':worried:

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

No greater turn-on than a stripper with terrible grammar and spelling! :hehe:

8. ChurchofVirus

ChurchofVirus New Member

Junk in the Trunk

Lol, funny stuff. :D

Here is a little mini-update, a mash-up of the parts I ordered for this mod. Fans, covers, lights, water-cooling hardware and other items of necessity. Note the fan grills and the girlie 'Open' acrylic panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The Cosmos truly is a very well built case. I like where this is going, I will be watching.

10. ChurchofVirus

ChurchofVirus New Member

Cosmetic Surgery

Well hello again. Let's back up a moment to before I popped the rivets and dismantled the case. I want to add a fan with fan hole to the front of the case as well as one of the fan grills I picked up. I picked up one of the greatest tools ever, the 117mm hole saw and went to work.

Measuring and prep..

[​IMG]

Now as I mentioned this was before I dismantled the case, so what I'd be doing here is cutting a 120mm hole through the front door, inside panel and front case panel. So simple I almost feel bad about it. Cut right through with a fair amount of elbow grease.

Hole through the front door..

[​IMG]

Hole through the inside panel..

[​IMG]

Hole through the front case panel..

[​IMG]

And front the inside of the case we have this..

[​IMG]

As you can see, I left that middle piece of the hard drive cage intact. I didn't mind cutting into it a little with the hole saw, as the middle piece of the cage will be getting some modification as well.

Oooo circles!

[​IMG]

Before I mentioned that I would be 'thinning' out the interior of the case. My main focus of this is actually reducing the cover of the hard drive cage and drive bays in order to show off the resevoir that I'll will be placing in the top section of the hard drive cage. After taking the case apart I needed to put to front back together to get this planned out.. masking tape cheesecake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I readied my Dremel and gave this baby a once over reduction surgery..

Hard drive cage..

[​IMG]

Top panel with new mesh cover cut..

[​IMG]

Hard drive cage rack and drive bay rack..

[​IMG]

Top case panel..

[​IMG]

Front panel with new mesh cover cut..

[​IMG]

Gotta have the holes to mount the front fan..

[​IMG]

Just as a reminder, these are the initial cuts. I still need to clean them up and do a couple other touch ups to make everything work. The two door panels will be handled last, as I want to get the case done then focus on the side doors. A hope this gives a little better of an idea of what I'm doing with this mod. Next update I'll have done all the final touchups on the cuts I have made and will be preparing for paint. I have a lot of sanding and filing ahead and still quite a bit of work to be done. See you then! :dremel:

11. AssassinGT

AssassinGT New Member

Looking brilliant mate!

12. tominated

tominated New Member

nice! i'll be keeping an eye on this

13. The boy 4rm oz

That is a lot of layers to cut through lol

14. ChurchofVirus

ChurchofVirus New Member

Not only was it multiple layers to cut through, but I only had access to cordless drills.. in which the batteries were not fully charged, so basically about every 30 to 45 seconds I was switching batteries. Couldn't make better holes without that saw. :hehe:

15. ChurchofVirus

ChurchofVirus New Member

Pre-Make Up

I said before I had a bit of finish work to do on the places I made cuts, nothing too extreme. One piece worth nothing was the top plastic piece of the case that had the vent fins. On the underside of the piece there was an edge that had to be sanded down in order for me to place the mesh piece that I cut. I was able to sand the edge down pretty well, but along the 'supports' of the plastic piece remained these little ridges that prove the be a pain in the butt..

[​IMG]

After some wierd angles with a file I got the ridges sanded away, and 'supports' of the piece ended up having notches in them. Normally this could be seen as a flaw in my work, but it turns out that these notches kind of lock in the mesh..

[​IMG]

All filed down..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same with the top piece, the front plastic cover, inside the door also had little ridges that needed to be filed down..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the pieces with cuts finished..

I think one of the more interesting alterations I made so far was to allow a 120mm fan to be placed in the front. Recall that I used a holesaw to punch through the front of the case, and I cut a notch out of the harddrive cage tray. This is how it works..

With the pieces together..

[​IMG]

I'd then just have to slide a fan in and viola!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now all my finish work one the piece I cut so far is done and now I just needed to do a little pre-paint sanding. I have arranged to use the paint booth at my place of work again, but I only have access to spray paint, which is not a big deal because my last spray paint job turned out pretty well.

Big ol'pile of pieces to be painted..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will also be painting a few of the accessory pieces of the case such as the drive locks and the hard drive cages. The button for the drive locks will be painted with this batch as well as the handle/handle holder for the hard drive cages. Also the caps for the compression fittings I'll be using will get a coat of bronze.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my paints, or at least what I already have..

[​IMG]

The plan is that all these pieces in the large pile will get a primer coat, three color coats, and enough clear coats to give it some shine. I'll be using a dark primer, with a gold/polished bronze color for the chasis and accents. Why this color you ask? Well, there tends to be a fair amount of focus on bronze at gentlemen's clubs with the poles and such. I think it'll give an attractive look for the internals. Following paint, the only finish work I will be doing will be a two-step hand buff to smooth out the finish and give it some extra shine.

Let's give her a little bit of make up to bring out that radiance!

16. Nolimited

Nolimited New Member

nice work :thumb: the new grills that you have are nice
    I wait for the next update

17. The boy 4rm oz

The mesh is a real improvement over the stock stuff.

18. ChurchofVirus

ChurchofVirus New Member

Paint I

Once again I was lucky enough to talk the paint guy at my place of business to let me use his paint booth again.. it really helps with keeping the area dust free and also helps the paint dry faster with the high powered fans.

Looks familiar..

[​IMG]

The prep work needed for these pieces was pretty minimal. I started with a very fine sand paper, then followed with a cleaning solution then a tack cloth. Simple enough to encourage a little paint adhesion. I was able to use my co-workers paint racks again which also made the task of painting that much easier for me.

Some of the pieces ready to go..

[​IMG]

My only previous painting experience was on my last case mod. I was informed that the primer coat wouldn't really effect the color coat to the extent that wouldn't give me the look I wanted, but I later learned that primer coat can have a huge impact. With that said I used a dark primer for the gold color. I picked the gold/bronze color with influence from stripper poles. The goal was a polished look.

Some of the pieces primer'd..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had planned on doing three primer coats on all pieces, but ran out of primer about half way through the third coat. Not an issue though. On with the paint! Between every coat of primer, color and clear coat, I ran a tack cloth over the paint to pick up and over spray and dust I could get.

[​IMG]

Once again my lack of experience got me. Knowing what I know now, I had put on three very light coats of clear coat, which probably made a solid single coat. It gave a decent shine to the pieces, but not exactly what I was aiming for.

[​IMG]

After a quick car paint polish..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not an epic fail, but I'm a little disappointed in how the she turned out. The primer I should have used is this metallic sparkle stuff that once color is put over it, the color instead of flat or sparkle gives a solid polished metal appearance. I didn't know it at that time. It's a good looking paint job, but not up to par with what I wanted, so I grabbed some 600 grit sandpaper and sanded through the clear coat, where I will then give the pieces two more coats of color and I'll do three solid coats of clear. It may not help as much as sanding the pieces back down to bare metal and redo the primer, but it should at least improve the luster and quality of the paint. :idea:

Keep in mind the pieces I've now painted gold are just the chasis and a few accessory parts. I still have to paint all the plastic pieces(most of the exterior of the case) and a few accessory parts the other color I'm planning on doing. So next time I get in the booth, I will repaint/touch up all the gold painted pieces as well as paint the exterior pieces. I still have a bit of work to do on the mod. After I get these two lots of pieces painted I will reassemble the case, minus the side panels and side exterior trim, as I still have to do the work on those.

I'm saving the best stuff for last.. meaning, the window/silhouette and the mock neon sign, so check it out, leave a comment and hope your finding this interesting. Till the next! :rock:

19. The boy 4rm oz

Nice paint booth and a sweet gold colour. Nice work.

20. B4TM4N

B4TM4N Ninja

I love the last pic of the painting process.
    I love the shine to hit, almost looks like real gold
    Keep up the good work

Tags: