1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project : God System

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Warper, 1 Dec 2002.

1. SleeperDC

SleeperDC What's a Dremel?

wowowowowowow
    looks really good~ :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

Thanks, everyone who has participated in this tread. :rock:

I'm also amazed at how many people are complimenting me on my marker skills! :clap:

Thanks to Everyone! :lol:

3. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

Hate to be a buzzkill, but that tower isn't a INWIN model trust me I had a INWIN case before a few things I see that can hold that true first off there case sides aren't attached by the way I see in the pic, the I/O plate is a shiny alu kind not the dark metal I see, and most if not all INWIN cases use bumps in the motherboard mounting are(tray) not brass standoffs. Anyways I hope you knew that it doesn't matter, but just FYI. Nice sharpie skills though I was kinda worried when I saw the stuff on the contacts of your memory, but you say it works and thats good. By the way are you sure thats a 9700 Pro that you sharpied to death it looks like a older card 9700 Pro's have BGA memory and the S-vid connector is in the middle of the monitor connectors. I didn't want to complain about everything, but I saw a few things that didn't seem right and thought I would give you a heads up on it.

4. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

It's not a Inwin Case! :eeek: Oh well then, me's don't really care anyway as what ever it is, it's gonna l00k cool when I'm finnished with it! I hope anyway! :worried:

About the GPU. The drivers regognise it as a Radeon 9700 Pro. I noticed the connectors were different too from some reviews of this card. It was the same price as a Radeon 9700 anyway! It's a little under clocked due to I removed the HSF and replace it with a copper heatsink, attached by Epoxy and sprayed Black. :brrr: :brrr: I didn't actually go over ALL of the PCB as most of it was already red. I just sort of finnished it of by my ay of it...

Thanks For posting dude! :clap:

Last edited: 7 Dec 2002
  5. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

L00ks g00d m8:clap:

Just a few questions:

Are u gonna use only red?

What u mean with Light bulbs? No cold cathodes?:confused:

6. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

Answer to your questions m8.

Yes the main devices are going to be red and the communication devices (NIC, Modem) are going to be black...

Yes I'm using a Light bulb!. It is the smaller veriety and also with some minor adjuctment you can get it to flick with the dimmer and its like a stobe light. Neat....;)

Cheers

7. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

Here are my piccies! As they say a picture paints a 1000 words... Words on the next post!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Words to follow :hip:

8. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

Ok, so here are the words for you all. :cooldude:

I was going to just cut out a hole at the top of the case to mount the fan, however I had the perspex at hand an I thought I'd put it to good use. I used a 92mm chimney as, well, the 120mm wouldn't fit! :sigh:

The side window got cut out and was also drilled to mount the dimmer switch. The dimmer was removed from the casing with a little difficulty and glued and bloted to the perspex.

The power supply unit got modded and this was the longest on just one item! I cut out the 80mm intake fan and the heatsinks were already bend from earlier. So the PSU now has 80mm Coolmasters running @ 12V @ 34CFM each = :brrr: . A extra 230V output was mounted in parrallel with the other output at the back. This was used to power the light/dimmer. Also the 92mm YS-Tech chimney was mounted in here too! A lot of stuff and wires coming outa ere now! :rock:

Pictures of the light on will be in the next post! :naughty:

Questions, comments just post 'em up please!
    Cheers!:clap:

Cheers

9. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Nice windows. Tidy clean crisp shape. I especially like your top window. Perhaps consider a windowed HDD or CD-RW drive? :D
    :brrr: couldn't resist

I now realise why you coloured your cards red with permenant marker. Your MSI board will be red. Nice idea :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Dec 2002
  10. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your post. Yea you were right about the colour. As the GPU was already red I was thinking of blooo. However I decided just to go over it with red permanent pen on the solder etc..

About the windows. The DVD drive already has a little bit that spins round and you can see it so, that's that. Also you wouldn't see a window on the HDD :sigh: .

ON TO THE LIGHT!

Here is a picture of the light at full power (60W)

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the light from the top of the case.

[​IMG]

I have now actually placed the light on the drive cage with some strong blue tack like stuff. (This stuff is black and like super glue tho ;) ) I now only have my monitor left to do and that's that done for X-Mas! :naughty:

Questions, comments, suggestions give me a post!

Cheers everyone!

11. ouija

40w bulbs generate a LOT of heat :worried:

12. mashie

mashie The one and only

Yeah, almost 40watt (equivalent to two-three nortbridges)... wont cause any problem since it is plenty of fans in the case.

Looks good but you have to use that pond for a watercoling project. :D

13. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Love the windows, especially the top one. You've managed to make them look very clean. Not too sure about the light though, why not just use a cathode?

I'm sure the temps would be great but the system would get full of silt and I doubt the fish would like it too much.

(yes I did realise you were joking, or at least I hope you were :worried: ).

14. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

Yea, good idea mashie! Here's a little pic of the pump (I water cooled the pump! :D :naughty: )

[​IMG]

About the bulb. It is a mini 60W version from Homebase. I would guess that from the general setting from the dimmer the light runs at around 15-25W. I put a 40W in it, however it flickered, also very bright at MAX setting from dimmer. So I bought a twin pack of 60W mini bulbs, works fine now. However put one of these at full power and it's like the WHOLE room lights up! The dimmer is usually set somewhere near min. Also like many dimmers it has push on/off switch. Ideal for when its light in the room!

Thanks for your replies! :clap:

15. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

Adam, I didn't use a Cold Cathode as they were too big as I wanted the light to be stealthed behind something. So I used a more simple (however same priced) method using a light bulb.

Also remember that I have repositioned the bulb so that you can't see the bulb+holder anymore! Very neat, and very time consuming from soldering and drilling holes in my PSU for the 230V line for the dimmer > light. Also if the bulb blows it is only £1.50 for another twin pack of them. :rock:

Cheers for posting....:brrr:

16. Shadowman

Shadowman What's a Dremel?

A suggestion for an alternative to the bulb

You can get your hands on LED clusters that would do the same job (stay tuned for a new piccie of my lighting for an example)

They are about 7 quid and genarate hardly any heat, and can be tinted to suit your preference. Plus as another advantage you can hook it directly up to a 12V PSU line, instead of having to use AC (less cable mess).

Just a thought :)

17. ouija

There's an article about a super bright LED somewhere on this site. A single LED was bright enough to light a whole case. Very cool indeed :D

18. Shadowman

Shadowman What's a Dremel?

That was a linear mod, using a luxeon star/o LED :)

They are VERY nice, but reasonably hard to get hold of, and I didn't have the time so I went for a simple cluster of super bright LEDs.

Does a nice enough job tho, till luxeons become available to the masses ;)

19. mashie

mashie The one and only

Actually I didn't joke this time...

As for keeping the system clean, all you need to do is to put the heatercore in the pond so instead of an air cooled heatercore it will be a watercooled heatercore :brrr:

20. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

The LEDs sound a good idea, I may think about using these in a next case? :D

The pond has this big UV thingie that cleans the water up and so the water coming out of the pipe is fairly clean. Juct the crap inside the pond???? Also I don't think I will have a pipe long enough to get to the rig! :sigh:

As the case is pretty much finnished I'm gonna throw a couple of better quality piccies in the Modding section!

The name for the project will change...I'll give you it on the next post!

Thanks for everyone whom participated in this thread! :clap: