1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project] Goliath - COMPLETED 19/09/09

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sni9er, 16 Apr 2009.

1. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

i guess its a case of thats what you could find huh? they do look big but im going to reserve my judgment for when i see it in the bay and with the rest of the case. keep it up! looking good! :D

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Contrary to popular opinion, something about the oversize dials is nice! :p

:thumb:

3. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

Hey guys

well thanks for all the comments guys, my initial idea was to find something smaller but when I saw the brushed aluminium knobs at that size I was sold, the look is alot more subdued on the full front panel, once I un-tape my front panel i'l take some shots so i guess until then the verdict is still out hehe !

love and metal

luke

4. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

looks good
    like the pinstriping detail :)

5. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

thanks for the complement even though im not entirly sure what your on about

sorry there hasent been any significant updates ive been waiting on a shipment before i make my next update it should be quite a substantial one thursday/friday this week

Stay tuned !!

6. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

well no progress sadly,

royal mail have lost my radiator grill and as its custom cut im anxious about cutting the hole without having it to hand to check so i guess im gonna have to wait .. for thoose who are watching this project is long from dead !

the processor should be arriving any day now and has pretty much wiped out my fundings this month hehe but all worth it for the greater cause

intel i7 965 EE

other progress includes flushing my radiator with distiled water but nothing monumental to note !

stay tuned and cross your fingers for me .. i need it !

love and metal

luke

7. Omen

Omen What's a Dremel?

Nice work so far m8....

Love the case, had 2 of those many moons ago, wish I kept them.

Looking forward to more updates :thumb:

[​IMG] from me.

8. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

the project i'd like to add is not dead in the water !

my grill apparently is cut and is being sjhipped tomorrow .. in other news my ram arrived so i dry ran all the parts for a while and it all went well, thought i'd drop some eye candy here just to pick up eyes before more updates start again !

keepin the faith !!

[​IMG]

in other news i went to download ... it rocked !!!, and im getting a mortgage !!

stay tuned for more soon !!!

love and metal

luke

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

10. Bad_cancer

some nice graphic power there! ill be waiting for updates :D

11. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

finger versus fast moving HSF ... finger loses ...

[​IMG]

not to bad today lol

more probing about the grill today, fingers crossed .. not to much though as it hurts

love and metal

Luke

12. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

[​IMG]

Part 6

The Great Grilling

The grill has been mailed again, however this time i have some shots its due to arrive tomorrow so i can get some more progress yay !

i have to offer a huge thanks to Marcus and Rob over at watercoolinguk for enduring this whole 6 month fiasco lol between the anodisers and the posties .. well lets just say the anodisers and the postie are off my xmas card list .. anyway .. without further ado i present the goliath grill (un anodised as of yet)

[​IMG][​IMG]

as you can see the detail is brilliant. im very exited indeed to recive it after having waited so long !

[​IMG][​IMG]

here you can see a bit more of the detail, close-uop, overall im extatically happy with it, and when it gets hear i may just die of exitment lol..

next up will be finding its place and cutting the case, .. so staytuned for the next update soon !

Love and Metal

Luke

13. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Great work! That grill is fab! Much better than the usual ones.

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Now THAT is an awesome grill, very sweet.

15. Bad_cancer

yup i agree that is an awesome grill!!!!

16. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

[​IMG]

Part 7

The Long Grind Day 1

Well, thats my first day over. but what a day today i have achieved quite alot, and for it i am absolutely wrecked, its currently 1:15 and ive just had one intense day of modding, i thought i would share it with you all before i update again tomorrow with another intensive update

firstly as you will have seen my grill finally arrived Yippeee,, oh **** gotta get to work ! so today ive been working on

Marking up and cutting the roof panel

Brushing the Grill before anodising

begining to route water tubes in case

Destroy warentee on my mother board and other madness ..

so first up was the grill, so very happy it arrived i must add lol i was begining to think it just didnt exist, but anyway first things first i poped out and grabbed some new speed clamps as my old ones are well ive lost them to be blunt lol .. so after i got all the stuff i needed for the day from various hardware stores i set to work !

Marking Out ..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I first begun by marking out the cutting for the grill, this was actually not so quick to do as i wanted it to be perfectly centered alot of checking and re-marking was required, but as they say mesure twice cut once .. but i mesured three times so meh its all good, the red shows the external perimiter line of the grill and the inner markings show various cut lines an min/max cuttting limits

[​IMG][​IMG]

afterwhat seemed like hours of dremeling, I finaly broke through the roofing, i certainly knew what it was to have vibration white finger after that, im still vibrating now !, but its not all over yet no no, now for the filing, for this, after taking inspiration from another Bit-Tech member (im sorry i forget who but i did comment in your thread o thank you !!) I "Obtained" some inch wide rack mounting bar, this was perfect to use as a filling guard, once clamped in place i started to file across all the screw tabs uniformly and the edging, this took a considerable amount of time, but was worth it as the results were much better than if i had only filed peice by peice

[​IMG][​IMG]

above you can see how the filling guide really helped to make a neat uniformed edge across all the tabs , and then the overall look, which im still rather pleased with for somthing that wont even be on show !

[​IMG][​IMG]

Like magic ! the grill has appeared and that means its time to brush it, i am aware the ideal situation is to brush the metal before the cut however for this peice it was just not feesable, plus it gave me a chance to experiment a little ..

[​IMG][​IMG]

here you can see the first Jig i used on the left, for this i dragged the peice over the sand paper, applying direct pressure with my thumb to the area that needed extra brushing, i.e an area with a minor dink etc etc, the second picture shows the peice taped to my vice before I slid the jig over the peice(you can see the early results of the brushing have came out quite well !) its now sitting wrapped in clingfilm awaiting to be sent to the anodizers tomorrow !

[​IMG]

just to remined you all this is a black beast !, lol you can see my above efforts to begin tubing, some of it is quite crazy right now but its in the right direction lol !

Voiding my Warentee

well some of you may have saw in earlier parts im not fond of all that red crap on my motherboard, so off it comes however it didnt unscrew as easily as i would have hoped.. so for thoose with a weak heart look away now ..

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ahh so much better dont ya thank.. I had so many worries about it being glied or other but its just screwed then painted for some odd reson, my driver wouldnt fit and couldnt get a good angle so i just bent it and worked the metal till it fatiged and fell off lol !, after that it was a job of using the Snipe-nosed plyers to losen the screws and take em out.

next up was the CPU block .. i felt just like i did when i first ever fitted a cd-rom to a pc .. ""OMG OMG if i plug it wrong will the pc esplode ?????""

how times change lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

try that pose out for size next time you fit your cpu retention braket ..lol, also how shiny and great is that base.. hats of to EK !

Just thought I was wrapping up for the night when .. oh no ... a cable has made its way into my room .. under my nose the whole time ... unbraided ... quick grab the first (BR)aid kit !

[​IMG][​IMG]

Phew ... anal-retentive panic over ..

at this point im about ready to fall asleep at my desk, I'm certainly not getting any sleep on the bed tonight since my pc seems to have already tucked itself in and read itself a bed time story.. so I guess the couch it is for me !! anyhow, il probebly come back here tomorrow and correct all my terrible terrible grammer and spelling mistakes before i continue .. untill then stay tuned for more !!!

thank you for your support !!

Love and Metal

Luke

Last edited: 8 Jul 2009
    ModMinded likes this.
  17. Bad_cancer

ahh it starts again! good! looking good there, but maybe we could get an overall shot of the mobo?

18. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Great grill, and nice sanding jig. Pleaes du fex teh seplling! :lol:

we do understand the feeling tho!

19. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

my head hurts ...

i fisked the spellung

love and metal

luke

20. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

Mini-Update:

Day 2's steep learning curve went somthing like this ...

[​IMG][​IMG]

ermm ... i killed a smurf ?

[​IMG][​IMG]

yeah so to say my leak test went well would be a slight oversight lol.. expect a full report later tonight !!

Love and metal

Luke