1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Goliath - It's got wheels, man.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Starbuck3733T, 26 Sep 2005.

1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

2. Starbuck3733T

throwing my hat into the ring...

[​IMG]

3. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Amazing work dude. Good job on copying it over to the new system, it's hard reading long logs like this with loads of comments :thumb:

4. johnnywyld

johnnywyld What's a Dremel?

Touch Sensitive buttons

When you say in the worklog:

"A little bit of custom tooling... This solves the fact that the frosted effect was destroyed when the goop solvent glue was applied to stick the keys to upper front of the bezel."

What do you mean by that? did you take the buttons out and reapply the goop again, do anything different?

5. Starbuck3733T

Thanks! I'm actually amazed it condensed down to 4 pages and 79 "updates". Maybe this will bring some new folks in and expose them to the totallity that is this project. I don't think there is a single component that I haven't modified in some shape or form.

The goop being solvent glue made the areas that I had roughed up with 100 grit emery paper transparent again, meaning I lost the diffusing effect. The solution that I came up with was that tool in the shoot, which was a unused (slightly drilled off centre) key, with a bit of foam backed sanding paper. I sanded the bezel itself to diffuse some of the light.

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I love the initial design/shape of the case, its really long, and spacey :)
    Also, looks amazing now! Well done :D

7. Starbuck3733T

It gets better. I got the VFD screen mounted last night, and sprayed the top AGAIN to kill off some of the thin spots. I need to make a power cable for the VFD too.

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Gotta love VFD's... I must implement mine somewhere in my project :)

9. Starbuck3733T

Wait till you see the screen I just found out i can use... it's off a piece of equipment I've had, but it uses SED133x type controllers... 640x480 monochrome backlit! but yeah, VFDs are :thumb: :rock:.

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Compared to mine thats gonna pwn!
    I can only get the top line of mine working with Smartie.

(no idea what controller it is) :hehe:

11. Starbuck3733T

Start a thread in electronics, we can get it figured out. Between Henri and coorz, you're in good hands.

12. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

As I have done with Fireheds project log, I have given you a 5-star rating for your log! :D It occured to me that I have some how gained 5-stars for my log when the there are much more deserving 5-star rated projects out there... such as this one!

Keep the updates coming, i'm waiting eagerly to see how your VFD works out as mine is due to be installed sometime next week too! :)

13. Starbuck3733T

She works great...

Thank you for the rating, I appreciate the confidence. The atc4000 is one sexy case, too, mind you.

I'm glad someone pulled my head out of my butt WRT progress. The wife and I got a new dog, a 3 year old collie by the name of Zach. We're getting him socialized and frankly I've been burnt from work the last 2 weeks or so (a bunch of people taking too damn long in central IT at the university to answer a simple question and edit a simple config file)...

I absolutely MUST MUST MUST get the window cut and side panels painted this weekend though, the weather is starting to shift and I'll soon loose my painting window to the weather for 5 months or so. Baaad news.

14. HilRam

HilRam What's a Dremel?

I cannot see the final pictures of your worklog. (Those in post # 80) :sigh:

As for the part of the project I can see: :clap: :rock:

15. Starbuck3733T

My hosting was having problems over the weekend... pix are working again.

I can't say that I have an ETA on the next update... it's not like I haven't done stuff (believe me, i have...) I just feel like saving it up for a nice fat update... and believe me, this is going to be a BIG one.

16. Starbuck3733T

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated

I'm not dead, I'm still working on this project 2+ years later but just so happen to be saving up some stuff for the "BIG ONE" that will probably mark the mechanical (not software) completion of the project... What a long, strange, trip it's been.

I'd like to thank Henri Skippari VERY much for hooking me up with one of his Noritake 800A VFD to USB backpacks, which works beautifully with LCD Studio.. You rock, Ray! The design you see is what Henri's converter draws to the screen when it first powers up...

Ya'll remember the VFD? Sure you do. Remember the ugly green color? Yeah, probably...
    [​IMG]

Even with just holding the dark blue light gel (filter) in place, it looks pretty good. The blue of the screen even matches the LEDs pretty well (look at the bottom of the picture.) The observant reader will notice this modder in the reflection of the gel.
    [​IMG]

Even better with the filter fully installed... it looks sooooo sweet.
    [​IMG]

Nice wide viewing angle and consistent color
    [​IMG]

Now all I need is some quality time with LCD Studio making screens for all the data I've got available form Speedfan and other sources.

I know this is a bit of a tease... but I felt a small update would be a good thing.

Comment Thread

Last edited: 14 Nov 2005
  17. Starbuck3733T

18. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

NICE lcd :thumb:

19. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

This is one of my most favorite projects. I love the whole look of the case. Keep it up man.

20. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Seconded,
    Thirded,
    Fourthed,
    etc...

Love this case! :D