1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Goliath - It's got wheels, man.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Starbuck3733T, 26 Sep 2005.

1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I'll see what I can do, but the previewing of what colors should be used is kind of retarded. and I used photoshop to prep the image... I've got almost 15 years of PS under my belt and I can't really use anything else. The only proviso is that your image editor has to be capable of creating a 1-bit bitmap.

2. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Another request for the eagle tutorial. Second, that board looks bigger than the freeware version of eagle will do, which version have you got?

Moriquendi

3. Starbuck3733T

Yeah, the board is a bit oversized. it's the exact size of a HDD and uses the same mounting pattern (It's going in one of the SC5000's drive holders)... I'm using the paid version of eagle, but the tutorial won't require it.

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Wow this is a great mod so far. I just have a question about something I saw in a picture of yours.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/starbuck3733t/install5.jpg

I noticed that little board you have down in the lower left corner, what is that? It looks like a PC board but with some extra features.

5. randosome

randosome Banned

its looks like a breadboard with a frame around it with extra stuff, like potentiometers and connection points

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I guess it has some signal generators and an integrated power supply and maybe some diagnostic leds...

7. Starbuck3733T

Yeah, it's a dev kit. Nothing on it is on the current system. Jipa nailed it.

8. Starbuck3733T

Got some other toys... and a replacement PSU, antec 430W true-power. Spraypainted it flat black, it was easy and it looks pretty darn good. also ditched the gold grill and replaced it with a normal silver one to match the polished fans.

The last original part of the mod is now gone, the 400W channel well tech. I double-sleeved the PSU, so you can't see the colors of the wires through the sleeving, it's kinda neat. that'll be posted when the heatercore gets pulled out and the new Aquacomputer AirPlex EVO240 goes in (thanks pug!!). Why am I doing this? the heater core has always been a bit too big, and makes teardown a huge pain in the ass. With the evo, it'll be a couple of screws and everything will come out.

Also dropping the multi-loop and going to a normal serial setup. I might get it done this weeknd, but I'm not feeling to great as of late, so we'll see.

When I re-do the bezel I'll also be going to a single optical drive. two opticals just aren't needed anymore... I was using CDs a lot more often when I first started building this machine.

9. Darkened

Darkened What's a Dremel?

Great to see you at it again Starbuck, it always makes me feel good to see your thread up since I know I'm not the only one making their mods slowly :hehe:

Seriously though, can't wait to see what you've been up to.

Darkened

10. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

You have done nice work! Can't wait to see more this magic! :hip:

11. Starbuck3733T

Yeah, I'm slow. I had a mental block called 'world of warcraft' and 'divorce' for a while. I'm getting back into the stuff I like doing...

more crap coming my way. I forgot to order G1/4 plugs to plug up the extra holes in scopEDog's cerberus waterblock since I'm going to serial plumbing. I also picked up a set of these:

[​IMG]

Hank at performance-pcs must love me by now. 2 orders in as many days.

I think the casters are a lot sexier than the stock vinyl-dyed black feet... that and my ex-wife decided to paint my office and throw a 'blanket' over goliath while I was moving stuff out and got blue paint all over the stock feet. BOY was I mad!!

The old feet, look at the bottom front of the case:
    [​IMG]

This weekend is looking like a good time to get stuff done. I'm not going to be as photo happy as I normally am with the 'process', but i'll still give up plenty of the product.

Heck, I might even decide to paint the CDROM metal bits. We'll see.

12. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

Your PCB looks very nice, but i can't help but not like the autorouted board - it's nothing personal, i just don't think that an autorouted board can ever come close to a manually routed board.

Are the really thin tracks being used for the main power supply rails - and the connections to the fans - going to be a problem? Maybe you should think about fattening them up?

Anyhow, mod is looking good so far.

13. Starbuck3733T

Goth, good eye. Someone else on wizD called me on that, I've henced bumped up all the power and ground traces to 0.04 or 0.032 weight. Should be no problem now.

14. Starbuck3733T

dear intel, re: SC5000... the 120mm fan on my PSU isn't supposed to go up, you ****s! Problem corrected by drilling new mounting holes in the PSU.

dear aquacomputer: please put mounting holes on both sides of the airpelx evo, although my solution turned out great. I bonded two fans together with zip ties, and then used rubber channel to line the 'not drilled' side of the evo 240. drilled 4 holes to mount the fans, and I'm done. that's enough work for tonight.

15. Starbuck3733T

Some pics from sunday/saturday/friday's adventures...

New radiator brackets for the airplex evo.
    [​IMG]

custom mounted polished aluminum L1As on the backside of the evo. I used C-channel to act as a grommet to keep teh vibrations down. it's working well.
    [​IMG]

Same thing, different view. You can see the c-channel.
    [​IMG]

current overall shot. much cleaner with my new PSU, double-sleeved in black with black connectors and black heatshrink in place and plumbing in a serial fashion instead of parallel.
    [​IMG]

scopEDog23's Ceberus waterblock, one input, one output. Those green LEDs will go, I didn't realize the MAX3 had them and I couldn't turn 'em off.
    [​IMG]

block again
    [​IMG]

Alphacool Respack Res. Very cool part. I love seeing the water hit the front of the plexi.
    [​IMG]

Res again.
    [​IMG]

Res and new rad made a ton of room in the case, and I can now pull the mobo in and out without having to remove anything else, something I couldn't do before. I can also gut the whole system without having to drain it! this makes for easy field strips, so one can drill and work on the chassis without fear of getting metal shavings in stuff. I also dropped the front panel I/O... don't need that stuff anymore w\ it on my monitor. and firewire? I don't have anything that needs firewire, so only having it on the rear of the machine is okay. I miss the real serial and parallel ports though. All in all, it's quite good. #1 thing: stability again, and no more coil hum!

Stay tuned for me putting the other (unfinished) panels on so I can get some measurements and start the front panel remake.

16. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Hope those 2 had nothing to do with each other. Anyway good to see you back at it! Keep it up!

17. Starbuck3733T

No, I wasn't playing WoW when I got divorced.

I think I may make some ram covers tonight... just for fun. stupid gold heatspreaders = the ugly.

18. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

LOOking good StarBuck !!

19. Starbuck3733T

Man, I can't seem to avoid crap in my water.

Running for a bit now, and now I've got crud turning the water greenish. it's not organic as it's only in one spot in the down-tube to the pump. It looks like greenified copper again, and I am running distilled and AC fluid. It's cooling just fine though, so I'm leaving it until i get a chance to drain it out, replace the yucked-up tubing, and refill. I'm guessing it was something in the AC airplex, as all the other blocks were squeaky clean, and that was the only new bit. I also didn't flush it before I installed it. dumb me.

The ohter good news is that the new, solid metal front panel is done in sketchup. I just need a nice mill-artist to take a crack at it, and hopefully I'll meet up with a friend-of-a-friend with an industrial CNC shop this weekend. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

We all do. :)