1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project grandiosa, there is always room for more. Update: 09/29/04. sleeving

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by nemko, 8 Sep 2004.

1. nemko

nemko What's a Dremel?

it's up and running :)

I've been working a lot with my case today, first, dragging it outside to polish it, first som alu-polish and after that, wax.
    First I had to buy polishing stuff, pegs and so on.
    This is what I brought home:
    pic:
    [​IMG]

As I said, polishing, hard job, but I finished that game :D
    Here's a pic of the result
    pic:
    [​IMG]

And I had to drill new holes in the brackets I'm using to mount the harddrives. 40 holes to drill, took some time and god am I glad that this house has a vacuum cleaner? puh.
    pic:
    [​IMG]

FINALLY it was time to bring down my old case, hardware dismounting and mounting was about to start.
    Two pics of the beauty and the beast standing next to each other.
    pic1:
    [​IMG]
    pic2:
    [​IMG]

The two motherboards mounted
    pic:
    [​IMG]

The old disk rack.
    pic:
    [​IMG]

And finally a pic with all the hardeware mounted.
    Missing is the fan controller and the on/off switches. So, for now I'm using a knife to start my two PC's :naughty:
    pic:
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow, or maybe later tonight I'm going to start the job with connecting the fans to the controller.

Well, now it's time for food :D

2. sKuLLs

sKuLLs What's a Dremel?

I knife eh? I don't think id have the balls to stick a knife between any wires or electric circuits. I must say, though, that case looks simply friggen awesome! I've always had a thing for huge server cases and your takes the cake. I'm wondering though, are you going to be sleeving those PSU wires? or will you just be organizing them a bit more so it won't look like a rats nest?

3. bullfrog

bullfrog What's a Dremel?

Look very good and large. Cant you take those yellow labels off or put them on the other side of the hdd's. They make the harddrives look skew. But everything else looks wiked.

4. nemko

nemko What's a Dremel?

heh, true thing about the rat nest, jep, I'm going to organize the wires, try to hide them the best I can.
    never started a computer with a knife? :) It's just to put the knife between the power up-dips, makes it easy, not having to mount the switch/wire every freakin time.
    Anyway, my main target for the last two days was getting the project up and running, and so I did.
    Will start tomorrow with the wiring stuff I think. I've also got the flu, everything seems like building the great wall of China when that **** attacks you.

bullfrog: they WILL come off, I promise :)

5. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I have a switch wired up to an old cd-rom audio cable which I can plug in and use for a temp power switch ;) Beats using a screwdriver.

Looks nice :thumb:

6. ajampaniki

ajampaniki What's a Dremel?

Damn those are alot of hd's. Looking very nice man. Wish i could make something like that :(

7. broots

broots What's a Dremel?

Very cool project! :D
    Have you thought about the noise from the harddrives? Maybe some kind of rubber washers or anything to prevent vibration / noise?

8. -Enforcer-5716M4

-Enforcer-5716M4 What's a Dremel?

You don't have to use a kniffe to start the computer. Just put the two wires into eachother and it will start.

Love the case! You can use (maybe you've already written this) one system for gaming and one for work. Like one Pentium 4 and one Xeon... Or, maybe one for Intel and one for AMD... Or maybe one PC and one mac.....

How many hard-drives do you have?

But where did you buy the bondo?

Hvor kjøpte du sparkelen, eller er det sånn "body filler" (det er egentlig det jeg er ute etter), på Clas Ohlson?

9. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

If he want's a case that is thet big, i think he likes noise too.. The bigger the better, the bigger the HUUU???! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! YOU HAVE TO SPEAK LOUDER!!! I HAVE JUST STARTED MY PC!!!!

10. nemko

nemko What's a Dremel?

sleeving

found out that, sleeving the wires from the fans to the controller was a good place to start. Found myself a knife, some other stuff, and there I was going.
    It was NOT supposed to take me 18 hours to get the pics out, but when 2 harddrives decides to break down, at the same time. Damn, I was like using bad words till three last night.
    Anyway, both drives had warranty, and another win2k install later, here I am (btw, the guys at the computershop was able to take a backup, PUH, tnx, man!)
    So, update.
    Here's a pic of the holes being drilles to hold the fan controller
    pic
    [​IMG]

And here's a pic of the finest tool except the mouth when it comes to cutting wires.
    pic:
    [​IMG]

Sleeving, yeah, it was fun :D
    pic:
    [​IMG]

and, finally attaching the wires inside the fan controller
    pic:
    [​IMG]

Haven't got that far, but this is what I've done.
    pic:
    [​IMG]

So, some more sleeving tomorrow, just need an old cd-rom that I can lobotomize and use for my switchboardthingy.
    gnite

11. The Lost Monk

The Lost Monk What's a Dremel?

looks good, keep it up

12. Buzku

Buzku What's a Dremel?

I like that you make updates regurarly. Looking good.

13. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Case looks great! However you really need to add Gears! Something this big really needs Gears, or pully's or some type of belt system. :D

14. renimatorius

renimatorius What's a Dremel?

I love green :rock:

15. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

I think a few more drives would be okay. :D

16. markp

markp What's a Dremel?

Are you gonna leave the sleeving ends like that, or going to do something with the ends? I always use heat-shrink sleeving to stop them fraying and pulling back up the wires.

17. ZeroX

ZeroX What's a Dremel?

What's the diemens of that beast, and also how many drives can fit into it (to lacy to count holes :p

18. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Just curious - are you going to add wheels to the bottom of the case?

19. nemko

nemko What's a Dremel?

I'm using strips, or what they are called in english to prevent the sleeves from becoming a mess.
    So, I don't think I will do anything more with that right now.

I also started to sleeve the wires from the MB's to the powerswitches, leds and stuff, but I got to have new switches anyway, so I have to wait, little short of money right now..

Nope, no wheels, I used the bottom of my old case (with weels). Then I can take i off.
    I'll probably use speaker stand offs or rubber something as feets, but that is later as well.
    Also need another solution for the switches infront, how to mount them.
    And my alu god has to make me something.
    Going to a computerparty next week, bringing the case of course :)

drives? I probably can fit 25 drives or something in there, but I'm going to change the rack anyway. Need some more space between the drives, and I need different distance between the holes for pegs holding the drives

20. SMOVE

SMOVE What's a Dremel?

Well, i think its faster to use a screwdriver which you got near you, then search a switch, plug it on and push it :p

btw:
    The case looks really awesome how much terrabyte do you plan to put in there? :hehe: