1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Green/Black

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Devil_H@ck, 18 Jun 2003.

1. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

I've wanted to start for a while on my mod now, so now with the vacation comming and the exams almost done, I figured it was time to start. Yes, I know, I'm weird, I am most active during exams, yes, I should be studying ;).

This isn't the final name for the mod, but I just had to put something in the subject so, well, that's the colours the mod's going to be in.

I haven't got any pics yet, and neither do I have a digicam, but I'll take pictures and scan them as soon as they are developped.
    For now, I'd just like to use this as some kind of to do list, if that's ok, otherwise, just delete this thread pls.

This is what I have in mind:
    • Headphone/boxes switch
    • Independend HD activity LEDs
    • Case painted in shiny black
    • Mouse painted in shiny black
    • Sleeved cables (Blagged-Hardware technique)
    • Move HD's to top HD mount bracket
    • Noritake 2x20 VFD
    • Window
    • Blowhole in the front
    • PWM Fanbus
    • Self-made LED fans
    • Green + white LEDs
    • Green LED in mouse
    • Change DVD/CDRW LEDs to green/white
    • UV traces on 3D card (see MetkuMods)
    • Green CCFL
    • Independend HD read/write LEDs
    • Better headphone/boxes switch
    • Venomwheel in mouse (wohoo, I'm the first to use that name :p)
    The parts with a line through are what's finished.
    Everything is now in the order I want to do it, but I'll probably be working on 2-3 things at the same time (and then forget to buy some parts and only be able to finish the thing 4 months later :rolleyes:).

I want to have most of it done by the 13th of July, since it's the 2nd biggest LAN in Belgium then: OCC. Really nice LAN, very relax, and off course I want to show off ;). Well, I probably won't make it, but it's worth trying :D.

I'm going to order the LEDs from that Hong Kong shop on eBay.

For the PWM bus (guide from Bit-Tech) I'll need to make a few phonecalls, really stupid actually: the firm who deals the Micrel chip in Belgium is only 5 km away from here, but not one electronics shop has ever heard of them :rolleyes:. So I'll probably have to call them and ask for some samples, I really hope they give them, otherwise I'll be desperate.

I'm not sure about the form of the window yet, but it'll definately have rounded corners (ooh, rounded corners :)).

The VFD has been lying around here for ages (well, actually it's more like a year), but since my Abit IT7 hasn't got any legacy ports I can't connect it, so I'm going to buy a parallel/serial add-on card with 1 internal parallel connector (40€ :eyebrow:).

In 10 minutes I'll finish the Headphone/boxes switch and hopefully not burn anything on my mobo.

While doing to Independent HD activity LEDs mod, I accendentaly put to much current through my HD, so the LED is always on now, so probably I'm going to tap into pin 23 & 25 (don't know if these are correct) and use the read/write signal for some nice green and white LEDs.

This Friday I'm going to get myself some Motip (is this any good?) carpaint and some nylon wire for the Sleeved cables.

Ok, I'd like it if you didn't delete this thread, I've typed to much ;).

Last edited: 7 Jul 2003
  2. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

put a line through text: [s ] and close with [/ s]
    that should do it (but without the spaces ;) )

What case are you using? Get us some pics :D

3. Devil_H@ck

Ok, I'm working on a SketchUp model of my case, the rough form is done and it's quite acurate, I don't think I'm more than 3mm off anywhere.

But since my monitor is broke (read higher about it), I can't really do much more than modeling, so I can't see how colors would look.

Here's the system I'm using:
    - Case: AOpen HX08
    - Proc: P4 2.26 Ghz (533 FSB)
    - Mem: 256 Mb :)rolleyes:) PC2700 DDR (Apacher with Samsung chips)
    - HD: Maxtor DiamondMax 60 Gb (LED driving mechanism fur0red, read about it in the 1st post)
    - 3D Card: Gainward Golden Sample 700XP (GF4 Ti4400, VIVO & DVI, 128 Mb BGA DDR RAM)
    - Mobo: Abit IT7
    - Fans: 3x Enermax UC-8FAB (2 case, 1 proc)
    - Screen: Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 (19")
    - Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    - DVD: Pioneer DVD-500M
    - CDRW: Plextor PX-W4012A
    - Soundcard: Onboard 5.1

Hm, I think that sums it all up.

I finished the Headphone/boxes switch last night, but 1 pin suddenly came out of the 14 pins connector, so I'm going to fix that right now and test it afterwards.

Here a photograph of the case (taken from AOpen's site):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Jun 2003
  4. afen

afen cyb0r p1mp

Do NOT buy that case. You have to unscrew a lot of screws and take the top plate off to remove the side plate. Also, the sliding mechanism in that case sucks, And also, it's very small for the size

5. ReFredzRate

YOU think the case sucks...

If he likes it he should go for it. And if you think HE has to unscrew so much, you dont want to see my Compaq ProSignia 3080 case... Now THAT's a lot of unscrewing :p

I actually DO like the looks of the HX08. It's smooth and has a lot of potential imho.

6. n0ll4k

n0ll4k What's a Dremel?

I have the same Case and after some modding i dont need to screw much off.

but after some other moddifications i have no h.d.d. cage installed but i use only one so it isn't a real problem

7. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Sounds good except the for small amount of RAM :)

@ Devil_H@ck

By the way, you might wanna host that pic on your own space before some mods come and delete it. I can host it for you if you want ... Just let me know.

Cheers

8. Homer J

Homer J What's a Dremel?

I have the same case, and it doesn't take more than a few minutes to mod the sides so you don't have to unscrew the top. Also, with the same mod you don't have to slide them all the way back to get them off.

9. Devil_H@ck

Uhm, about the case being sucky, I've got it for one year now and I especially asked the pc shop to order it because I read it is a really good case to mod (and Lian-Li is waaay to expensive).

And about the screws: don't put the screws in it ;). Seriously, neither the top or the sides come off just like that, you're perfectly ok without screws. And it really only takes me 2 minutes.

Ok, here are some SketchUp screens, I know the model is far from finished, but it's starting to look like something. I still have to do a little bit on the inside, like giving the metal a thickness (it's only 1 face now) and add some extra metal "things". After that I'll model the DVD boxes to some good looking models, and do the same to the HD's, ... Then finally I'll model the front, but it's a bit difficult because it's curved.

Enjoy :eyebrow:.

[​IMG]
    I haven't modeled the front yet, I'm doing to "insides" first.

[​IMG]
    I know I still have to model the USB ports, ...

[​IMG]
    Closeup of the Alpha PAL & the Zalman NB heatsink (no, I didn't actually count the pins ;)).

The fans in the screenshots are actually not yet in the PC, the only ones that are in is 1 at the top left (when looked at from the front) and 1 at the bottom. There's only 1 place to screw one in the bottom, so I'm going to drill extra holes to accomodate 2 fans.

I finished the Headphone/boxes switch, but there's something really stupid with the onboard audio. I soldered everything correctly, in fact it's the nicest solder job I've ever done (even the audio channels were right :lol:). The problem is that when I insert a headphone, the right/left channel goes out, but the satelite/center/sub channel stays on. I hope this can be fixed with some kind of firmware upgrade, but I'm afraid it won't be possible. So I'm going to make a complete circuit (check the Electronics forum) that will work on any mobo/soundcard and that will do the job like I want to. But I'll probably wait with this untill all the rest is finished.

I've also started taking pictures, I got out the Nikon F70 (got to love it :)) and I've made some "before" shots :). 14 photo's have been made so far, so it shouldn't be too long untill all pictures are shot and I can let the filmroll (is this the correct word?) get developped.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2003
  10. Devil_H@ck

I decided to paint the case in shiny black, first is was going to do it in non-shiny, but I think the bright green/white LEDs & CCFL will be nicer if the case's shiny.

I was wondering about the insides, when I paint them, do I also need to add a protection layer or is that only needed for the outside?

And how many spray cans would I need to paint everything (2 outside panels, front and the inside of the case)?
    I guess 2 won't be enough right?

I'm going to use Motip paint, is that any good? I've been to 2 DIY shops and it's the only brand they have.

11. ReFredzRate

First go buy 2 cans... I can make it on a big tower with that, but have some left, and I dont have the insides sprayed. So see how far you can get with that, and after that if you need more you could go get that :)

12. Devil_H@ck

Hm, but I want to have the insides sprayed. I think I'll buy 3 cans :).
    So I'd need:
    - 3x primer
    - 3x shiny black
    - 3x polish

Is that correct? How much would 1 can cost?

13. ReFredzRate

I get them from a local hardware store for somewhere between 5 and 10 euro's per can :) Think Belgium and the Netherlands should be quite near each other regarding those prices...

14. Devil_H@ck

10€ * 9 = 90€ :sigh:
    Ok, time to ask my mother some money ;).

15. Homer J

Homer J What's a Dremel?

I painted mine last year (before I decided to cut it up off course :rolleyes: ), using Motip spray paint. If I remember correctly I used just over 2 cans doing 2 layers, but without doing the inside. So 3 cans sounds about right :thumb:

And as for the screws, replacing them with thumbscrews does wonders :naughty:

Last edited: 20 Jun 2003
  16. Devil_H@ck

Ok, I went to buy 6 cans, so that 2x primer, colour and lacquer.
    It's all car paint, so it should be pretty strong. I believe it are all acrylic sprays, are these the best kind? Oh well, if it's good enough for a BMW, it's good enough for my case ;).
    And the best thing is that it was only 6€ for one can, well, that still makes 36€, but anyway, it's a lot better than 60€ :).

Here they are:

[​IMG]
    Primer

[​IMG]
    Color

[​IMG]
    Clear Lacquer

I hope 2 cans will be enough to finish the side and top, well I suppose it will be enough, but it would be pretty stupid if it weren't, since then I'd have to wait 'till Monday before I can get more primer and stuf. Hmm, that would suck :grr:.

I also went to buy a 1xparallel/2xserial PCI card, to bad they didn't have 2xparallel/1xserial, but I guess I can route a wire from outside the case to the inside to connect my VFD to.
    How long can a parallel cable be anyway? I've read 1m, but that's really bull****, I've got a scanner & printer hooked up here to a 3m parallel cable.

This is the extension card, it should even work on Linux :). It features 1 external parallel port and 1 external serial port and also one serial port on the card itself. Well, maybe I'll buy a graphical VFD one, but I'll suppose that used parallel too. Oh well. It's cost me 47€ :jawdrop:, damn, why is everything so expensive. Hm, maybe I'd better bought a non-legacy free mobo :D.
    Pic:

[​IMG]

Hm, and one more question: if I spray the case first and cut a window into it later, would there be a lot of the paint fux0red? I don't mind if I have to respray a bit, but will it be clearly visible or not?

Last edited: 20 Jun 2003
  17. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Yea, your painjob will probably be shagged, unless you're using watercutting or something really flash, and even then, it'll probably be shagged anyway. ;)

Cut first, paint later.

You'll save paint too, less case to spray, everyone's a winner ;)

18. Devil_H@ck

Well, I know I'll have to respray a bit, but will you be clearly be able to see where I resprayed?
    I'm going to sand down the bits that need respraying first, so I don't know...

19. Devil_H@ck

I inserted the parallel/serial PCI card today and everything went well, I installed drivers, ... Then I hooked up the VFD, but nothing happened, I've installed DLPort I/O and I've tried using both LCDSmartie and LCDStudio, but none of them worked.

After that I went into the system's settings and I found an option that let you choose what port number the serial & parallel ports were. I set the to COM1, COM2 & LPT1, LPT1 uses address 378 right? I configured LCDStudio again, but still nothing happened.

I don't think the VFD is broke, but I'll hook it up on this PC later, it's worked on this one before. There is however a brown spot in the left upper corner of the VFD, like a burn spot, but I think it's been always there. I'll resolder the connections this afternoon, since they are not that nice (I didn't solder them, I bought it like that).

I was also wondering what the DOS command was that let you see your COM & LPT port addresses, I know there is one, but I can't seem to find it.

20. Devil_H@ck

Ok, I made some progress.

I sprayed my side and top panels black and I've been sanding for more than 60 minutes yesterday. Ouch, my arms hurt. But everything is really, really smooth now, except for the corners, because when I sanded them the paint always came of.

Then yesterday night I decided to spray my mouse black. I applied the primer yesterday night and now the black paint is drying. I'll try the clear lacquer on it in an hour or something.

I still have to spray the front bezel and my disk drive, DVD, ... but I'm sure all the painting will be done by the 13th of July.

My VFD is still not working, despite the expensive parallel card I bought :'(. I guess I'll have to check the wiring (again :wallbash:).

I've finally found a store which sells Flexo PET, aka cable sleeving. It's in the Netherlands, I'm going to call them this afternoon. I hope they aren't to expensive.