1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Project Gunner: CNC done, back to the case design (2/19/2016)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GCOFIELDD, 5 Nov 2010.

1. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

:O wow!
    Subscribing!

2. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Thanks Shuttlemodder! :)

3. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

More progress!

I am starting to get a little excited. I think I have come up with a design that I can mostly fabricate at home and I like the way it looks. Here are some pics of the work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking about leaving the fans exposed and I am not sure if I want two water loops or one with the radiators connected. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Still dorking around with it. It is starting to look like a TJ07...not sure how I feel about that :confused:

[​IMG]

5. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Like this or this...

Which do you guys like better, the bigger design or the smaller design:

Big:

[​IMG]

Small:

[​IMG]

The bigger design will let me hide the power supply, cables, and coolant lines. The smaller one is just smaller...

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. weatherdown

weatherdown What's this button fo......

First: Awesome designs you got here :thumb: (sub'd)

Second: I'd go with the bigger of the 2.. Something about the space at the bottom on the side panel makes it look "friendlier"... That and being able to hide everything inside.

However, if you're not really going to show it off, and you don't care what the insides look like.. I suppose the smaller one would be better, and less time consuming...

(But i'd say after the amount of time you've already put in on this, time consumation isn't something you're worried about.) :geek:

Keep up the good work!! :rock:

7. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Thanks for the compliment on the designs and feedback weatherdown :)
    I was thinking along the same lines. I guess I have put some time into this...hadn’t really thought about it. I am not in a real hurry because I am still trying to get a workshop setup in my garage. It should take another year before I have everything.

My milling machine comes in Thursday, which is the first piece, so I will post up some pictures of it when I get it set up :)

8. Briaireous

Briaireous What's a Dremel?

I would say go with the bigger of the two :) that way you also future proof yourself if you want to upgrade without having to build something from scratch.

Also since your going water cooling its nice to have some extra space for your tubing requirements.

Forgive me if im wrong but i don't think your water-cooling your 13HDDs(I hate you for having so much space lol :D) but the extra space I'm sure would help with your overall case temp as having so many HDDs even with air flowing over them with fans would significantly increase the overall temp inside the case

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
  9. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Thanks for the reply Briaireous and good point about future proofing :thumb:
    For now I am not going to build the 13 HD version of the design. I got shoe boxed into a small cabinet on a desk :sigh:

Not sure if you guys are interested in this, but I finally got my mill, which is the first step towards getting my workshop set up. Here are some pictures :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to clean it up, but I am excited :) can't wait to get the rest of the stuff!

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oooooooh!
    Welcome to Club Overkill.:D
    I'd leave it greasy -especially if you are in Florida.

11. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

subbed

12. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

Can I ask what that roughly cost? Looks beautiful :) (Pm if you dont want to post)

13. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Good point Cheaps, I think I will leave the packing grease on for a while. I was hoping to convert it to a CNC in about a year :) I have been trying to find a sheet metal brake that goes up to 16 gauge steel but the only thing I can find in a small size is really expensive American made or old and expensive american made. Been looking at Di-Acro. Just need to find an old one localy so I can save on shipping. Almost bought one on ebay but UPS quoted me $4400 to ship it :wallbash:

Thanks Nanosec:thumb:

I bought it through Grainger (an American industrial supply company) for $1350 (not including stand). I got the Optimum version of the mill because I thought it would be better quality, but I am not sure if it was worth the extra money. I could have bought the one sold by Grizzly for $1000 and it includes the stand and has a larger table (work area). The model of the mill is a BF20. You can google and find a lot of info. It is popular due to the superior quality of the castings compared to other Chinese manufactured mills. If you need an more info let me know. I spent about a year researching before I bought it.

14. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

Thankyou - im planning on purchasing one If I end up living where I think I might next year. Got a lot of research to do.

Yours looks very nice - will google it soon :)

15. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

No problem, good luck! :thumb:

16. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Nice ideas :)

Let's see some action there!

I have an Opti BF46, finally in my new place, so time to bring it home - currently sitting in our warehouse at the office :(

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Boooo, bin the new desk and go back to revision 1! lol!

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Looks Really nice!:thumb: However, I'm not claiming to be any sort of watercooling expert, but from the research and advice I've got I don't think the rads will run very efficiently trying to suck air through them from a fan that's perpendicular to them. It's likely that the majority of the air will be sucked through the top o0f the rad closest to the fan leaving the lower section to build up heat. Also having the air go through the rads first before your case will mean you're passing hotter air over the internals.

Considering the space you have available, could you not fit fans on the inside of the rads to push the air out the sides? fans in the top to bring cold air in and over the internals, sucked through the lower fans into the rad chamber then out the sides would make for much colder ruinning, especially with all those hard drives.

EDIT: for some reason i didn't see that there were more pages:duh: but might be food for thought when you get round to the big behemoth! Good luck. Mod long and prosper!:rock:

Last edited: 5 May 2012
  19. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Update

@ The_Crapman

That is solid logic about the airflow on the big chassis design. I think I was getting a little fancy and for got to think--you are right it would pull air from the top of the radiators.

@ Burnout21

I wish, but I think I have some designs in the works that you might like just as well. I don't want to give it away, but I think you guys will like it.

@ MrBean

Thanks man. I cannot start building until the end of the year. I promised myself that I would finish working on my iPhone App before I touched the new mill and lathe. It sucks, but it is the only way I will finish the App because I hate programming...

By the way, I got a new 9 X 20 lathe. It has been sitting on the floor of the garage for 2 weeks because it is too heavy to lift. My neighbors are going to help me out in a couple of days. I will post some pictures of the lathe later tonight.

On a side note, I have become a little obsessed with the mill and the idea of converting it to CNC. I am going to slowly start designing the components for it and I will post them up as I go or wait until I have enough of the design done that it interesting to look at.

I am also going to CNC the lathe and I may design and build my own CNC Router. After that I might build a CNC mill from scratch...:dremel:

I also might be getting a little carried away...:eyebrow:

Anyway, first thing on the list is to build a work bench for the garage. I will post pic of the work.

20. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Pictures

Getting the lathe on the stand turned into a real pain in the a$$. It has been sitting on the garage floor for about a month. I spent most of yesterday going to equipment rental places, car stores, and places like Lowe's, but no one had anything that would lift the lathe that I could rent, so I bought an engine hoist. After that it was pretty easy. The hoist may come in handy later. But anyway here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 May 2012