1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project H2Micr0 -Design Ideas for Case - 11 March 2007

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BenJ, 22 Mar 2006.

1. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

couldnt you attach the fans to the case over the radiator

then u just slide off the cover ?

seems a bit of a bugger to need to take the fans off, i bet itl piss you off in the long run ;)

2. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

I did give that option some thought, however I had concerns re sealing the fans, cover and radiator together to ensure air would flow throught the radiator and not around it.

And its too late now as I have cut the hole.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards
    BenJ

3. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Update - Radiator and Pump Stand Mounted - 5 April 2006

Finally, I have finished the brackets for mounting the radiator.

It was one thing to lower the main bracket for the radiator to fit inside and sit on, but it needed to be firmly located so that it couldn't move anywhere.

To achieve this I recycled some parts from the case that I wasn't going to use.

[​IMG]

This is the Hard Disk Drive bracket. In the factory case, it is used to mount two HDDs and would normally sit where the radiator now is.

I tried bending some scrap aluminium I had at right angles, but to be honest it just sucked. I don't have the necessary tools. By using the HDD bracket, I already had right angle bends to work with. This made things easier.

So after a several hours of cutting, grinding, drilling, filing, trial fitting and cutting, grinding, drilling, filing, trial fitting again with a touch of pop rivetting and some assembly, I ended up with the following.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This arrangement allows me to easily remove the radiator if needed, and supports both the top and the bottom. And to finish it all off I added the dome head hex bolts.

I am happy with the functionality, and the simple appearance that is retained.

I also mounted the pump stand in its final location.

[​IMG]

Gotta love those bolts!!!!!!

Please feel free to comment, or add suggestions.

Another update soon, re fan grill design.

Regards
    BenJ

4. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Update - Fan Grills Design - 5 April 2006

Second update today!!!!

After changing the fans for the Evercool Aluminium 120mm fans, I knew I needed to come up with a grill design. There really isn't much available to buy that could be considered tasteful. In fact, in my opinion, the best looking is the plain wire grills. The other grills available have their place, but just aren't my taste.

I wanted something clean and simple. I grabbed a couple of fan grills and attacked them with my dremel. From the stationery section at the cheapo store I had picked up two wire mesh paper trays for the huge sum of $3 each. One black and one silver. After a lot of messing around I ended up with a somewhat presentable grill.

In addtion the centre of the fans had those lovely stickers. Wanted to cover those up, I fired up Photoshop and after some trial and error created a little centre piece to fit in with the project.

I also painted one grill black as I am not sure yet which one I like the best.

Any way, you guys have a look.

[​IMG]

Chrome grill with black mesh.

[​IMG]

Black grill, no mesh.

[​IMG]

Black grill, with black mesh.

And some combo shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last shot also shows the chrome grill with no mesh.

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments.

Regards
    BenJ

5. Noni

Noni What's a Dremel?

I would definatly keep the black grill, not too sure on the mesh.

Looks super great, but the only thing I'm a little ooh on is the cuts, you can see the silver inside and it does not look very neat, any plans to change this?

Mind you, I am very nit picky. :p

6. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I definitely prefer the chrome grill with the black mesh. Looks great! The black one was too flat, looks a bit old.

7. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Chrome Grill, Black Mesh :thumb:

8. yahooadam

have to agree ^^

9. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

I agree as well with the chrome/black

but apart from that: i like your work, very nice. Keep it up!

10. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi All.

Thanks all for your comments.

At the moment the mesh is just sort of pushed onto place to see how it looks. That is why it sits a bit odd.

It seems to be about 50/50 on chrome vs black. I too like them both, but will probably lean towards the chrome with mesh, if only because the paint doesn't want to stick to the chrome. I did sand it, but not enough I think.

Look out for the next update.

I am going to dummy up the Water Cooling stuff and work out the hose routing before pulling it all out again and doing a leak test. I am still waiting on my GPU block, but will forge ahead without it.

Regards
    BenJ

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Chrome or black with mesh for the win; lookin' good :thumb:

12. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

I say Black grill without mesh...

What about a piano type hinge at the top of the fans?

13. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

Nice work you have there!

I vote for black grill and black mesh. Looks really clean.

14. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

I think that Chrome Grill - Black mesh would fit in rather well.
    I really like the Radical Watercooling - do they ship into europe or do they have a european outlet?

15. z4114

z4114 FACE!

The chrome grill with the black mesh looks great. The chrome of the grill matches the alu fan bracket whilst the black mesh matches your logo on the fans center.

Who knew you could shove so much stuff into that tiny little box. :thumb:

16. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hey, thanks guys for the comments.

I will finish both grills today, and will then be able to see how the chrome and black mesh set up looks with them both on.

I also hope to have a small update late today re the mounting of the reservior and I have been busy doing a mockup of the Water Cooling, trying to workout tubing routing etc. I waiting on some Swiftech Cool Sleeves to arrive, in an effort to reduce any kinking with all the tight curves.

kickarse

Interesting idea with the piano hinges, although I am not sure how to implement it cleanly.

OldY

I had a look at their web page and Radiical don't seem to have any info regarding if the do or don't ship overseas. Visit the link and send them a message. I know they will be only too happy to help.

Until later

BenJ

17. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Update - Mounting Res and Water Cooling Mockup - 9 April 2006

Hello again.

Sorry it's been so long, but have been busy working, and updating these logs almost seems to take as long as the project itself.

Mounting the Reservoir

If you recall I am using the Swiftech Micro Res. The res comes with some bolts and with velcro (yuck) to attach it to the case. As I will be placing the res standing away from a wall, I was unable to secure it in the normal fashion.

Grabbing my now hacked up HDD caddy, I applied a little ingenuity and a lot of dremel and filing and ended up with this.

[​IMG]

Standard Reservior as received.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fabricated some small brackets to secure it to the case floor. I think this method of mounting fits in with the overall feel of the case quite well.

Water Cooling Mockup

After a bit of trial and error, I have finalised the tubing routing. This arrangement is without the GPU block, but I beleive I have a solution worked out for when it gets here. Please rememeber this is only a mock up, in that the CPU block is mounted without a CPU and the Res is not secured in place yet.

[​IMG]

From the back and above.

[​IMG]

The pump hiding up the front.

[​IMG]

An overall shot. Here you can see all the components.

[​IMG]

This gives a good indication of the relationship between the pump and the res. I am using 3/8" tubing throughout, except for between the res and the pump intake which is using 1/2" tubing. The res, as you can see is not yet secured to the floor.

The Swiftech Coolsleeves are really worthwhile. I tried this before they arrived and it really was 'KINK' city, and I really am not that way inclined. With the coolsleeves I can achieve the bends needed in such a confined place. I have taken into account the missing PSU and graphics cards, and there should be adequate room for the other cables etc.

Please post your comments. I should have another update soon.

Regards
    BenJ

18. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

I am diggin this project. I like the black grill with black mesh.

19. yahooadam

looking cool with that watercooled mock up ^^

very compact, like the way ure trying to mount the res too, smart :)

20. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

Personally I like the black grill with mesh, it looks the cleanest. You've done a great job of running the tubes, lets just hope you don't need to bleed or refill it very often. I wouldn't want to crack open that monster every month or so lol