Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Excalib12e, 27 Oct 2006.
no problems , I like it
oh yes, very nice
remove that allu front plate with plexi something (smoked,blue)
I wanted some silver alu to balance out the black plexi.but thanks for the idea though..
Man those buttons look sweet. The blue one looks like a cyclops smiley. Make me some.
yea wish they worked though..now ive to settle for just plain backlit switches
Small update.. the area above the hard drive meter. I decided to get another
piece of acrylic laser cut to form a plate for this, and on this will be the
1.Rear intake fan 2.temperature display with led indicators.So here are the
The plate :
the 4 holes you see in the plate are for led indicators to show what temperature
(cpu, hdd etc..) is being measured.
Rear side with temp LED display circuitry. This was scrounged from a old
5.25 bay hard drive cooler.Im going to use a rotary switch to make it
display multiple temperatures.More on this detail later on.
Heres with chrome led holders installed.Ive yet to wire all this up but it will all be housed in the same box as the hard drive meter circuitry.
Be back with a bigger update in a few days time.mobo and stuff should all be around by then.
hi guys, finally an update..i know its been rather long so heres quite a big update.The hardware and all arrived, so I could start working on the motherboard covers. Very similar to what you see in the orac , ive made acrylic covers to stealth everything. Plus a few other misc things done along the way as well. Here goes..
I cut another small window in the side panel, its for mounting of USB and audio ports, plus something else which il reveal as soon as its done. Will involve the last bit of laser cutting in the project.
Now on to the hardware.I went with the allendale e6300 , a DS3 and a X1900XT. Colourful, but not gonna be visible.
On to the covers, first a mock up with cardboard for the PCI cover.
I didnt make a cardboard mock up for the mobo cover though.
Here it is made from acrylic. All the bending was done with a heatgun.Its my first attempt at it, so its not perfect but good enough i guess.One end of the cover is not bent yet as i still have to do cutting on it. Note the L bracket that supports one end of the cover.
The other end of the cover is secured onto the screw holes in the backplate.This end of the cover had to conform to the shape of the backplate so it was cut to fit, and the edges tidied with rubber lining.
(thumbscrews used temporarily)
Heres a shot with the motherboard cover in place. Not much detail here since its basically a L shaped piece of acrylic. Again L pieces were used for the mounting to the motherboard tray
The PCI cover is just flush with the ram clips.
After cutting a slot into the pci cover, the other end was bent.
A clearer shot of how the pci cover is screwed to the backplate.
On the nxt update itll be more on the covers, as I put in the ventilation holes and show what i cut the slot in the pci cover for.(if you oserve the drawings you;ll see).Till then..
hmm this is very interesting, cant wait to see what next and I cant wait to see how this works out as far as performance and temps and things the like.
I love your work!
Temps wise im not expecting it to be great because of the covers and all.But Ive made sure to include adequate cooling, i think..
Woah... Didn't realised you were from Sg until I saw Stealth's work.. Didn't know that he's still doing the Ultra's though.
The ultra in the picture is more than 3 years old ..But i think he still does do them ..
Where you get those buttons ?
the aluminium knobs for the rheobus you mean?
They are available from Farnell (Newark) and RS Components. Although the threadstarter probably got them from a local audio store (Martin Elec.) or surplus store (Koba).
I'm not too sure.. Was hanging around the forums several years back and it seems that about 2 years ago, Natrium got slapped with a lawsuit and everything went downhill from there.
And after 2 weeks of juggling work and the project, finally, the other half of the mobo cover is finished.
Here are the 2 "raw" pieces.Ive worked mainly on the top portion, as the bottom is more or less done and is waiting for the addition of other pieces.
You can just make out where I put the radiator. Air will come in through the front -- > radiator --> through the PCI cover and out the back through the pci slots.
After much filing, sandpapering etc, we have the finished top motherboard cover.The meshX will allow ventilation to the rams . A normal fangrill and 40mm fan will be in place over the chipset hole once the cover is properly mounted. (more pics on that when i get to mounting it )
Here it is being test fitted on the motherboard.No problems here
With the bottom piece mounted as well.
Looks like everything fits well, next up will be preparations for the electronics and cable concealment.This is the most tedious step, but I hope to have an update within the week or so. Cheers.
yup, looks like it fits alright! that is just so CLEAN! great job on the mobo cover.
Separate names with a comma.