1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:Halcyon in Black-12/06/2007 Credits.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Excalib12e, 27 Oct 2006.

1. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

This mod looks really sweet man, the epitome of a clean interior. Great job.

2. kazama

kazama What's a Dremel?

i want to ask something, im from malaysia. where did you buy the arcylic and other stuff?. in singapore or malaysia?

3. Excalib12e

Excalib12e What's a Dremel?

that would be in singapore :)

4. kazama

kazama What's a Dremel?

oh i think you got some arcylic at jb. if theres a arcylic there i can buy it

5. Excalib12e

Thanks ! Messy wires just dont seem to cut it anymore do they :D hm nor motherboards for that matter seeing more and more mods incorporate covers of some sort.

6. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Those covers looks nice! :thumb:

7. Excalib12e

heres a large update just before christmas. Ive put the finishing touches on both motherboard covers,done some psu modding, and now im all set to go full swing with most of the electronics.

Some motherboard cover goodness:

40mm Fans installed on the top piece.Test psu in the background..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now where most of the work had to be done.The pci cover.A row of jackplugs fills up the previously empty space.

[​IMG]

Now the addition of 3 modular connector type sockets, which will feed power and stuff to the 7 jack plugs. First a triangular hole was created.Then the mounting of the sockets on a seperate plate that mounts into the hole. (a laser cut piece as i couldnt get the right size hole for the sockets). The small rectangular slot will be for the jack plugs to feed from and into the jacks.

[​IMG]

Remember the space on top of the plate where you could see the red graphics card? It was for this :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The halycon word logo will be lit from underneath, but as of now im not sure what colour LEDs to use.Most probably red or blue.

A few pictures of the completed covers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Excalib12e

:D On to the psu, which was a antec 550w, with a beautiful 3 year warranty.previously.

After i was done with it, heres the unit with the addition of a junction box, and missing quite a few wires.The junction box takes power from the 2 molex lines that were from the psu.Theyll be used to power less impt hardware like the rheobus, cdrom and such. Hardisk, PCI-E connector, AUX and atx cables have been left as is. Other unnecessary wires were cut away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the unit was mounted into the casing, .The atx cable was routed through black wire loom, and into a hole in casing.All part of the stealthing process.

All the tape used for identifying the pins.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres what happens after it goes through the hole :
    [​IMG]

And after some sleeving of the remaining cables

[​IMG]

Will be back in the next update to show how all that wiring arrangement will fit with the motherboard tray when its in place..For now Merry Christmas to all :D

9. ThomasM

ThomasM What's a Dremel?

Ohh man that has which. Is genuinly genuinly ingenious. From such work I am a fan

10. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

When you say you got rid of the unnecessary wires, did you just desolder them from the PSU? I'm doing a little project with a test power supply and I'm just wondering if it's safe to desolder wires from the power supply itself. :eek:

I'm loving that junction box - the connectors remind me of the modular connectors for the Hiper Type-R power supplies. ;)

11. Excalib12e

thank you very much :)

I did;nt desolder the wires, wouldnt have dared really. :idea:I was afraid other wires might come along with whatever I removed.Antecs wiring inside is a little messy..I suppose if you got some skills and a good iron you;ll be able to do it with no problems. But what I did was cut off the wires i did'nt want, and sleeve the ends with heatshrink to prevent any shorts.Then just tuck them away in the psu.

12. ThaDheiz_NL

ThaDheiz_NL What's a Dremel?

This mod of yours is so clean! I like it dude :D

May I ask you the name of the (4 pins) plugs you used as molex substitutes?

13. Excalib12e

well im not sure what they;re called actually.I kinda just picked them up because they looked good. But according to the hyper type psu website, they refer to them as "aviation type heavy duty enamel modular connectors".
    Seriously dont think what I have are of that quality though..

14. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Why didn't you just pick up a hyper psu?

15. Excalib12e

well a antec was what i had to work with..besides, and i wanted the position of the plugs to be as such :) The hyper psu was way more expensive too..

16. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

That PSU looks nice!

Keep up the good work! :thumb:

17. exo²

exo² What's a Dremel?

nice project

18. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Goodness me this is one of the nicest looking cases I have seen in a while :D

19. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

True, true. All of the antec psu's I've owned had **** volt's. Hope yours is better. Going to paint it or cover it at all? Grey is ugly

20. Excalib12e

Very appreciative of the nice comments so far.thanks guys :)

Yea hope mine doesnt crap out on me alright..Painting wont be necessary, once its mounted properly in the case you cant even see the psu mostly..