Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Excalib12e, 27 Oct 2006.
Love the biohazard sidewindow. Looking really good, keep it up.
hey some great modding work you got going in this thread!
are you gonna leave the side window clear so you can see the meter right?
nice work on the biohazzard pannel, i like the way it doesnt light up the entire logo really bright, but sort of fades ot around the edge, looks really proffesional
For some reason I've passed this thread although I said that I'd be watching this intently, don't know what's up with that.
Anyways, it sure looks great still, nice going and progress. Especially loving the work with acrylic you've done so far, hopefully we'll see that in the future also.
Keep pushing it, I know I won't be passing this thread again
thanks you guys the comments give me motivation
Yes the main window will be clear..and thanks alot somehow the faded effect I didnt plan for, but came about because the black cover only covers 3/4 of the logo..glad it turned out better in the end.
No worries at all..I very much appreciate the thumbs up. Keep that orange monster going too
Heres a update on the electronics of the case. Here ive been busy wiring up the switches that will control the various circuitry, as well as the PCI cover.
With all the mess this was going to become, I made sure to make plenty of diagrams so I wouldnt get lost. However careful I was though, I did get a short or two, burning up several wires in the process. But all's well and tested working in the end.
From connector to jack plugs on the pci cover
And now the switches on the top cover piece. basically they screw onto a acrylic piece and are mounted in the small rectangular space on the top piece.
Wired up are several toggle switches for the front panel lcd cold cathodes..leds..hdd meter..temp sensor , and a rotary switch to select between different temperature probes, 4 in total.
With this much wiring, and the fact that i somehow needed to terminate them into 2 plugs that go into the PCI cover, i decided to go with a simple circuit board.
With temperature probes attached (sleeved) the mess becomes even worse, so its all stuffed into a coverless project box (cover went to the bio hazard logo).
The box with all the circuitry was mounted to the side of the drive bay area
And some pictures of the testing, (where i fried some of the wires, which
were replaced) .You can see the temperature monitor in action
And to end it off, a picture of the casing thus far
Man you relay have a lot of cables. Will you hide them?
this last pic is awesome, the case looks so great, beautiful work!
Bummer, I hadn't even noticed this project, but now I have to start looking from page 1. It looks great man!!!
Wiring is a damn hard thing to do right, I've been working on the wiring for OM for a while now and gradually it's becoming something, you'll see in a couple of days.
In your case I wouldn't even want to think about the wire routing, that's a lot of them wires you got in your case. Hopefully you'll be able to pull it off gracefully.
Keep up the fantastic work.
Awesome looking mod, love how neat it is despite the complexity.
One thing though (I won't mince words like these other pansies ) the biohazard ruins it, lose that stupid, tacky thing and keep that case clean and cool looking.
very nice work with the wiring, also the last pic really shows how nice this case is going to look. Sweet.
although i wouldnt have put it quite so bluntly, i agree with him. the biohazard symbol, although very badass, doesnt really fit (in my eyes) the theme you described in the beginning
Uuh lotsa shiny black acryl! Touch it once and you'll never get the greasy fingerprints off
thank you all for such generous comments..to all the queries about the wiring mess, yes im pretty intimidated by the amount of wires, and thats not even including the front panel circuitry. But no worries il think of something,messy wires bother me alot.
Darkened : I cant wait to see the end product
And to this issue,thanks for the honest feedback. Everyone is welcome to give more. Ive done more mock ups with the lighted symbol together with the case, and come to think of it, do feel that the lighted logo is out of place. But not wanting to waste the laser cut piece, I might go with a previous plan I had and use it as a ventilation hole, most probably by covering it with mesh. til then
Very true.. will be doing alot of polishing up when im through with everything
/*sarcasm*/ wires? where?
llove the case, tis muy bonita
WOW - and I thought I had too many cables on my PC-7... great work - keep it up!
Yeah sorry, just seemed to really ruin the aesthetic (I'm incredibly fussy abouty things like that) be interesting to see what you do with that area.
Keep up the good work!
Well..some good news, and some terribly bad news which out does the good.
Good news was I put most of it together, had it running, only to have a barb on the waterblock untighten itself, and drip coolant onto the mobo. As of now, at the least the graphics and mobo itself are fried.Ive yet to check the status of the ram. Luckily its all under warranty, and I hope to get the replacements soon. But the delay will be significant.
So for now, just something pretty small. Heres how im going to measure water temperature :
I soldered a temp probe to a jack, and stuffed the whole thing into a 1/2" inch barb. Then filled it with plumbers goop. The barb will screw into my bay reservoir, which has 2 inlets and 1 outlet. Perfect.
Heres the plug that will go into this.
Il try to salvage some pics i took of the previously almost set up system in the next update. Now i need to go drown my sorrows.
Separate names with a comma.