Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Excalib12e, 27 Oct 2006.
Can't believe this isn't a five start project. Five stars from me
??? it is 5 star
Not when I voted, but now this project has got the stars it deserves
5-star topic rating or not, it IS a 5-star project - awesome work.
Wow thanks so much everyone, never expected to see that kind of response when i logged on this morning Am very grateful. Its really very encouraging..and also coming from the maker of alumaxx too ! its an honour. Looking forward to see how your new project goes
the end of this project is in sight, and as of this update, if nothing goes wrong, i should be 90 percent done. In this update, ive put together the motherboard covers and tray piece. This whole section will be removable from the main casing.
Completed covers mounted.
A closer look at the jackplugs, which ive changed from the previous uglier ones. Now they pretty much look like the ones in the Orac3 (where of course much inspiration comes from).
The radiator and pump in the main casing were connected as such. Black loom was placed over some areas of hose, though these parts wont be visible when the case is closed up. In the 2nd picture you can see part of a T-fitting which joins radiator, reservoir and a fill cap.
The radiator has been sprayed silver to match.
Now the hard part was getting this whole contraption into the main casing.
Halfway in, note the huge cabling mess which il sort out later.Some cables around the drive bay area will be left as is, as theyll be covered by the side panel.
The cable tidying begins.Adhesive clips were used to secure some of the cables. Fill cap is visible in this picture.
After that was done, some test fitting of the watercooling tubes. The tubes will be seperated by acrylic pieces. Im still debating on whether to use them for the final look.so those weird looking pieces will be just for testing. And to end off..
Next update will be on installing the front panel..cheers.
Im currently bleeding the watercooling system, and fitting in odds and ends.
The hose seperators have been redesigned comepletely.
After all the set backs, it seems the end is finally around the corner.
Looking good... it's fitting the name is Halcyon. The movie Hackers had it as it's opening soundtrack, Orbital - Halcyon. One of the best techno songs ever.
appreciate it guys..
yea halcyon on & on. I always heard the song but found the title by accident.
The case is completed. All that remains is to take pictures. Thats where im not too good at, so bear with me. Il have an update pretty soon with videos too.
If you don't mind, can you do me a solid and get dimensions of the motherboard covers for me? I've the same case, and want to do the same-if you don't mind, that is... I promise no plugs or jacks on mine, just etching and custom paint...
Hi, I would love to.But unfortunately i dont have any program of the like, and i did the covers by alot of estimation, basing them around the motherboard tray itself and marking/filing off from there. As such i have didnt take fixed measurements, and it would be pretty difficult to measure now that theyre installed. But please feel free to put whichever components, jack plugs or anything you please.
Fair nuff, I work the same way.
Now I just have to wait for my 25 feet of tubing to get here...
At long last, everything is tested, tested again, and all problems were ironed out. My room looked like this all throughout
So remember the square hole in the side panel where the bio hazard thing used to be? Well i got rid of that plate. I went throught 2 designs, feeling unsatisfied with both till i ditched them and went with something plain.
So now we have this :
If you notice the plate is mounted on the panel exterior, compared to previously. This way i felt it looked much better compared to this:
The mounted twin USB ports was something i didnt plan for, but got really really lucky. Not realising the pump and radiator would possibly obstruct them, i just drilled away and installed them on the plate. But after putting the panel on with everything, it fit just exactly between the two. amazing.
And now, on to the main deal. The completed casing pictures, with 2 video links after.
Rear end, nothing spectacular here
Illumination in the day time
As you can see the temperature display reads farenheit, which can be changed to read in degrees by a button behind the case.
the interior : (redesigned the hose seperators, so there here they are)
Some pictures in semi darkness, not very clear, do pardon the poor photography skills.
Top panel :
Video of the touch start up, cd rom opening.
Video of the case lighting.
I thank everyone for all the wonderful comments and feedback that have encouraged me throughout the course of this project.It was especially helpful with this being my first ever work log.And as such i may have left out various details along the way. So feel free to ask any questions.
Lighting looks pretty good But I really like the dvd drive I didnt even know it was there.
I've been watching this all along. Very nicely done. Nothing looks like it shouldn't be there. It flows well in all lighting conditions. I like the light action, nice touch but not overdone. Excellent. My only objection would be the water noise, but I know that was exaggerated by the video, so it probably is much more subtle in RL.
Beautiful!! The front is amazing, looks a lot less like a computer with the optical drive stealthed so well!!
this is very pimpin pc !!
WOWOW !! Brother I love that !! Enjoy you new computer
I've had the same reservoir/pump combination and the pump kept sucking in air and eventually died by it. Fortunately you have the pump positioned lower than the reservoir. I had them directly attached to each other. I love those tubes.
Separate names with a comma.