1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Halo 2 mod box. UPDATE on 6/26

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blurredvision, 12 Jun 2004.

1. blurredvision

blurredvision What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, thanks for coming in. Keep in mind, this is my first mod, but I hope to do some things with my beige box that will keep you guys interested.

As you can tell from the title, I'm going with a Halo 2 theme to this box. I'll give you guys a little background with what I'm working with. Luckily, I work fulltime at a sign shop, where I have access to paint, 100+ different color/style vinyls, a CNC router, and full color graphics printed onto vinyl for the layin'. I consider myself very lucky in this regard, and I hope to take advantage of my resources.

So let's get started, ya?

First up, my plain box. This case was bought about 3 or 4 years ago at a local parts dealer. I paid way too much for this ugly little case, but I didn't know much about anything at the time. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic of the case before I gutted it, so I leaned everything back where it should be to give an idea of what it looked like.
    [​IMG]

These are the parts spread out. If any of you notice, that motherboard is an Abit KT7 Raid board, with an Athlon 800. Shows how long this case has been sitting in the closet :).
    [​IMG]

This is a picture showing where the power supply was. As you can imagine, with everything inside the case, the PS sits directly over top the processor. With today's heat-inducing components, I've decided to move the PS.
    [​IMG]

I'm moving the PS to the front bottom of the case. My idea is to open up the PS, cut a small window in the bottom of the front bezel, and put in a clear acrylic window so you can see the inards of the PS. Then, maybe light the thing up :).

Here is a pic of the partially cut square to remove excess from the inside of the case.
    [​IMG]

Here is the square completely removed. I removed this piece of metal because it was blocking the way. I wasn't concerned with cleanliness since this is the inside of the case. When I cut the window on the front bezel, that's when it'll look better (hopefully).
    [​IMG]

Next up, cutting the Halo 2 logos in the sides of the case. This pic is of the CNC router we have at work.
    [​IMG]

This next pic is of the left side of the case. You'll see the window I've cut out, and will be putting some gloss-free clear acrylic as the window. Then, I will be printing out some kind of graphic on vinyl, then covering the Halo 2 logo to give a textured look. Then, I'll attach the logo on the acrylic window.
    [​IMG]

This next pic shows the right side cover. On this side, I hope to cover the logo with clear acrylic, then cover the acrylic with some frosted glass vinyl we have at the shop. Then, I'll try to run some leds behind the mobo tray for a lighted effect.
    [​IMG]

That's it for now, but I'll update as I go along. I expect this project to go a little slow, so stick with me. Thanks.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2004
  2. SJH

SJH Minimodder

I think you need a new image server ;)

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

4. blurredvision

Working on it :D

EDIT: Pics fixed.

5. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

This looks like a very interesting project. Do you have any ideas for colours?

If I were you I would paint it in a camouflage style and have Green lighting.

6. blurredvision

I'm am torn on the colors, as I've only bought primer so far. But out of all the ideas I've heard, I have to say I like yours best. Unfortunately, I also have to say, how in the hell would I paint camo?? :D Most of the work I do at the sign shop is with vinyl, so I'm not much of a painter.

7. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

There will be guides on it on google. I did read one before, first you paint it all one colour, then randomly spray a green on, then make a template from paper, and keep using it with different colour greens.

Just look for a guide then practice.

Oh by the way, I'm glad you like my idea.

8. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

'Tis looking very nice indeed up to now! Good work!

I'm sure i've seen this before though...

Did you post in the modding forum before, planning this case?

I could've sworn I saw this case yesterday....

Anyway looking great! :thumb:

9. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

I just had the greatest idea for the motherboard side window.

You could put some foliage behind it, with a little lighting, it would look sweet. And I know what your thinking, I can just shove some kind of plant in my case........ Model shops etc sell fake vines. Just arrange a few strands of this.

10. Nath

The foliage idea would look sweet, I vote you go with that.

11. blurredvision

Yes, I shot this idea around in the modding forum earlier this week. I just got started on it yesterday.

12. blurredvision

That is a great idea. Any idea on what color to light up the foliage? Remember, I'm using leds, so it'll hafta to be bright enough. I've not delved into the world of leds yet, so I don't know what intensity the different colors are, and how many I'll need.

13. Nath

I can't say i've personally played halo (shocking i know..) but i'm sure it has lasers in it so you could get some laser leds (red would be good) to shine in through. That would look really good.

14. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

Well its not my project :p

15. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

Hehehe looks good fun!

(BTW an Ath 800 ain't too bad,my GF still uses a Duron 800, and about 18 to 24 months ago, my grandparents finally upgraded from their almost Victorian P100...)

Oh, and it looks like you have some great taste oin music -- Oasis, Metallica... :rock:

But back OT, looks like fun! :D

16. blurredvision

True :D. I'll think of something. But I do like the foliage idea, not sure if I'll go with it yet, though. I've got plenty of time.

17. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

:rock: :rock: :rock: [​IMG] :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ohh...nice case BTW, I love the logo :D

Cheers,
    Mike

18. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Glad you got the pics working as it's worth it. The cutting is great, and this looks very promising :)

19. Kverna

Kverna What's a Dremel?

WOW!!!
    I mean, this is really good.
    Soon this will be one of the best mods of course!

20. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I wish I had a CNC router :sigh: (no, I'm not going to buy/build one!)

Since you cut out the metal pieces from one side panel to put on another, you can have two Halo boxes :D