1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Halo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JackHomer, 8 Jan 2003.

1. JackHomer

JackHomer What's a Dremel?

After a case mod that was a disaster (i put a dreamcast in one of the drive bays, but unfortunately the dreamcast failed to work after taking it apart) I was left with a giant hole in the top of my case. So i decided to buy a new case. Now a year or so later i decided to get to work on it. The first thing I wanted to do was etch a logo in the side of my case with my dremel. I had did it on my previous case with the black and white logo. That turned out well but i was puzzled on what logo i should do next. Then I came across this picture. I new that is what I wanted to use!!! For those who are unfamilar with it the guy in the picture is the main character, Master Chief, from the xbox game Halo. Then with the help of photoshop I ended up with this:

[​IMG]

With the help of some carbon paper I transfered the picture to the side of my case. I then took my dremel with a grinding stone bit and traced over the lines. It sratched the paint off and left the metal underneath. I think it turned out well and I am very happy with the results:

[​IMG]

I plan on putting a window on the other side of the case in a shape similar to this. With the red portions being plexi glass and the white being the case.

[​IMG]

I am thinking of frosting the window and putting a two cold cathodes in there. Each a different color that would lit up each of the two parts of the window. What would be the best way to cut out the curved part of the window?? Could it be done with the dremel?? I plan on adding more to this case. Feel free to give me some ideas.

2. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

Umm, I hope the final window will be a bit better than the drawing :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Excelent painting, I actually think about painting my dragon chieftech ... with ... obviously ... dragon :)

3. JackHomer

The window will definetly be a lot better than the pic. It was just a rough sketch of what the window will hopefully look like. Thanks for the compliment. But actually the pic on the side of my case is not a painting. I used the dremel to with a grinding stone bit to etch that pic into the metal of the case. It is probably hard to tell in the pic. I will try and get a better looking pic so you could see what I am talking about.

4. JackHomer

Here is a pic that shows it a little better: here.

5. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Don't you have engraving tools with your dremel?

6. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

lol, mastah chief pwns j00! :D

Not looking too bad at all, so far. Hope it turns out nice.

7. JackHomer

I checked out dremel's web page and they do have engraving bits. I should try those out. But actually the grinding stone bit works out just fine because I am not etching it in too deep.

I am in the process of cutting out the window now. So far it is going pretty good and I think it should turn out well.

8. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Have you seen Japala's CNC window mod?
    He's used multiple layers of plexi each lighted differently, you could do that with your window... have the Halo text pulse slowly in Green, then make another layer on the top like the flames coming from the gun that flashesh on HDD activity... that'd be cool :D

9. JackHomer

Yeah, I just went to his web page and checked it out. It is starting to give me some ideas....

I have the window cut out and now work begins on the window!!!

Last edited: 9 Jan 2003
  10. sobriquet

sobriquet What's a Dremel?

you should etch that halo guy into the window, and light it with LEDs, then you should cut out the HALO text into the gap between the windows...that'd look sweet.

11. sobriquet

sobriquet What's a Dremel?

and here is a link to the two-colour etch mod

12. JackHomer

sobriquet, That is a good idea. That would look pretty sweet. I think I am gonna do something similar to that I am just not sure what yet. I was thinking of doing a custom window etch as shown in one of the bit-tech articles. But now that I have seen Japala's CNC window and because of all of your suggestions I want to do something similar to Japala's CNC window. I just wish I had access to a CNC machine.

What would be a good dremel bit to use to etch into the plexi glass?

13. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

//EDIT

Someone beat me to the link, sorry. ~Davy

14. JackHomer

I just found this really cool halo pic. I am tempted to make that into a transparency and put that in the window then light it up in the approriate spots with blue and red leds from behind.

15. ouija

I am part way through a multi-colour window etch for my home server :D Perspex is cut. The only thing I need is another colour of LEDs (i have blue and green already) and a decent image.

16. JackHomer

cool, do you have any pics of it up yet?

17. ouija

Nope not until it's finished. I have done a test run with blue and green LEDs and it looks cool. I engraved a small AMD logo in two colours as a test and it looked cool.

18. JackHomer

sounds sweet, cant wait to see some pics.

19. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

What you could also do is print the picture out in color on a transparency and light it with a white cold cathode. You might get more colors showing through. ~Davy

20. ouija

Not as cool an effect though :D