1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Harbinger: Loop is Done and Installed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by llH4VOKll, 21 Jul 2008.

1. llH4VOKll

llH4VOKll What's a Dremel?

Set up the tubing today only cooling the CPU with the dual 80mm rad but getting some odd temps up in the 100's I think the problem is the clearance I'm running some test to see if I'm right any other ideas why my temps are crazy?

2. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Firstly..nice build, you've really done a nice job of squuzing everything in there.

Temp wise I'm not surprised though for a number of reasons. 80mm radiators are not known for their cooling prowess. Even the 120mm radiator is not going to cool much more than your CPU, and even then it would need better airflow to do this effectively.

Your also using angled barbs which are going to reduce the flow significantly, this would not be too much of a problem if you had a powerful pump. I dont recognise the pump your using so I may be wrong, and more than up to the job however you need to be careful with angled barbs since they are a flow killer.

1 x 240mm radiator will fix the issue, but will need mounting externally. This would help free-up some space internally for better airflow.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

What CPU you cooling?

4. llH4VOKll

Thanks for the answers guys and the pump I'm using is a DD-CPX-Pro 12V Pump its rated to pump 237gph. Right now its cooling a amd 5400+ black edition thats what worries me seeing as I am trying to cool a i7. I really want all the WC to be internal what if I went with 2 or 3 stealth rads do you guys think that would be better their rated for around 900 watts of dissipation each. I am doing some measurements and I think I may be able to fit 2 120mm fans infront as long as their standing up right.

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice work bro, I love SFF mods, I really like seeing how people cram all that stuff in there lol.

Personally I would have not used 1/2" tubing as it is big, bulky and very inflexible, I would have used a much smaller size. You would have had better airflow through the case, used less hose and it just would have looked a lot better. Just my 2 cents.

6. llH4VOKll

Thanks The boy 4rm oz this mod is really testing me and I was thinking the same thing switching to 3/8 in tubing since 1/2in is equal to 2 3/8 hoses. I think I am going to go ahead and get the 3 stealth rads their really good for low airflow/ low speed fans like an SFF case lol. Hopefully more updates soon.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

before ripping it all out and replacing most of it, strip the water cooling out onto the desk so there is free air around the radiator, and then run the system again.

No matter how good a radiator is, if its not got the fresh air it needs it'll cook your system.

8. llH4VOKll

Well still not sure why but just not getting the temp right the cpu block doesn't get cold but there's a definite temp change in the GPU block even when I'm playing crysis "not sure what the temps are on that but its cold to the touch" so I thought maybe the GPU was using a lot of the chilled coolant but even by itself with the 120mm and dual 80mm rads still getting high temps. What do you guys think might be my problem with the CPU that I get those temps still?

9. The boy 4rm oz

Your running i7 right? They run a lot hotter cos they basically have the northbridge built into them.

10. llH4VOKll

No right now I'm running an AM2 setup and I know that i7 setup ups run notoriously hot so I am going to go ahead and switch the rads out for 120mm stealth versions. Right now I have my current setup in my Sugo 03 "I know whats with all the sugos lol" and I'm getting temps in the 90's. The crossflow fan is going to be modified and placed in the back to blow air into the case, the 1/2 in tubing is going to be replaced by 3/8 in tubing. . . damn this is going to a fun mod:D

11. llH4VOKll

YAY!!!!

Early this morning I realized that I can fit a 240mm rad in the case I would have to sacrifice 2 of my PCI slots one of those being the PCI-E slot but that's easily worked around with a PCI-E extender cable and raising the PCI bracket up a little bit so I can still have SLI.

[​IMG]
    Here's a top view the rad is a HWlabs black ice extreme I'm gonna use a HWlabs 240mm Stealth rad the extreme is about the same thickness as the stealth with fans on.

[​IMG]
    Notice though I have to take the dual 80mm rad out due to clearance the 120mm stealth rad on the adjacent side will more than help though.

Do any of you WC wizards have any advice?

12. The boy 4rm oz

Couldn't you make up a alu bracket and mount it horizontally at the top of the case (from front to back) then you could cut the holes in the top panel for air flow and cos the rad is attached to the bracket you wont have any trouble removing the case panels and you get to keep your PCI slots.

13. llH4VOKll

I wish but there's a pesky PSU in the way lol

14. The boy 4rm oz

Duel 120mm rads or a 240mm across the width of the case if you got room? Personally I think that way is a better option, you could have the fans pushing air through them to the outside, then you just put the rest of the fans as intake, perfect airflow.

15. llH4VOKll

Wanted to try that but not enough room even with dual 120mm rads they would stick out a couple mm from the case so that idea is a no go unfortunetly :sigh: getting rid of that 80mm dual rad gives me a lot more room though.

16. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

How have I not posted in this thread already? I admire your goals here! That's one hell of a large radiator to fit in that case. I really do think that multiple smaller rad's are the likely solution. It's not that there isn't 'room', it's just that the 'room' isn't where you want it to be...

17. llH4VOKll

Thanks craigbru and you are right plenty of space just not in the right place lol I just ordered the 240mm rad and I'm ordering the 120mm on Friday so updates soon!!!:D:D:D

18. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

great work dude

i have this case also and its a tight fit at the best of times, will certainly be keeping track from now on

19. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

I shall be watching your mod closely as I have the exact same case for which I have plans on modding. :D

I like what you did with the fan bracket. I plan on doing something similar. :thumb:

20. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Any mod that involves watercooling needs to have the design based around good thermodynamics and airflow. A dual 120mm radiator with one near enougn blocked on one side will effectively turn it into a single and will knacker your fan.

I see from your earlier pics that you have 2 radiators, one of which feeds into the other which would cause one part of the loop to get hotter over time thus warming the rest of the loop and worsening the effect.

People use push pull configurations as it is the quickest and most efficient way of cooling the loop and expelling the excess heat so it does effect other system components such as capacitors.

Tags: