1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project HARD drive

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DLippman, 7 Nov 2003.

1. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

[ot]Sil3nT - your sig is 24 times longer than your post, you might want to shrink it a bit because really most people couldn't give a damn what mouse and keyboard etc you've got[/ot]

That does look a bit messy, perhaps you should try putting the LED's inside the drive instead of in the plexi, I've seen it done and it looks quite impressive.

*goes and raids his drawer full of HDD's*

2. cargocult

cargocult Guest

Me heard somewhere that the windowed HD-mod will not work on anything bigger than a 10 Gb drive (or was it seven Gb?), due to this or that. Sorry, I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember the man fried a nice 80 Gb while trying. Mebbe you should do some more seaching out on the 'net before you scrag a puuurfectly nice HD. Or in the 'mods gone wrong'-section...

Oh, and try lighting up the leds in the top, snap a pic and show us if it looks sweet!! :lol:

3. DLippman

DLippman What's a Dremel?

I learned that one fast... in the end I also made a "roof" over the drive out of easi-wrap and some wood so I wouldn't breath dust or anything onto it (easier than you think). Any that did get on there was easily removed with some isopropyl alcohol

Very clean mod, nice job Sil3nt :thumb:

4. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

Is it still kickin ?

5. ShagBeard

ShagBeard What's a Dremel?

if you saw it here at bit-tech, the catch was the busted 80 gig drives were 7200 rpm drives, and that rpm is what caused the probelms. the higher rpm drives have a screw in the center of the platter spindle that keeps the platters from flopping around while turning. missing this screw, the drives got screwed.

6. DLippman

DLippman What's a Dremel?

My drive has the screws...
    'course, mine still works then too...
    :baby:

7. Zeke_D

Zeke_D What's a Dremel?

Friggin nuts! Bad lesson in hard drive failure, having my case open and hard drive laying circuit side up, but opening the beast up.. installing a window... not this child. Cat walked by and blew a hairball on the controller that fried my drive. Years ago when 250Mb was $250. Ouch!.

If I had access to a clean room with bunny suits I might consider this mod, but only if the drive was free and I didn't care if the PC worked.

This has got to be the worlds most insane mod. Just take a laser pointer and look at the particles in the air. Now beat your carpet, comb out your hair or pound on your lazy boy chair and look at the fun stuff that flys off. Any single particle could potentially destroy your drives head.

If you want to attempt such a crazy mod, you would need to make a micro version of a clean room with.. hmm.. maybe a series of plastic bags. Clean the drive case diligently through several stages of bags, limiting exposure to the dirty room air as you transfer from a contaminated bag to a clean one. Wear polyurethane CE gloves to handle all things going in and out of the bag and change them regularly. With your clean tools inside the bag work from the outside to remove and replace the drive cover..

No, there is no way around it. This mod is just plain crazy. :wallbash:

8. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

sorry dude but i think we are all thinking that you should never attempt to touch a hard drive again

not tryingto discourage you or anything ;)

9. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

It was Mashie who had the misfortune of loosing two 80gb drives in his Y2K bug project