1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Harley --- Update 5/29 ... Done!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dad, 29 Apr 2003.

1. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

yeah those kingwins are awesome, but expensive. might have to try and pick up one of those to play with :dremel: you might be able to dremel out the spider web pattern out of aluminum and paint it OR cut it out of acrylic (some color kind) and mount it behind the window to give it a cool affect :thumb: thats one fine wcc!

eddie - :hehe: :hehe:

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Hummm... Acrylic... I have the drywall attachment for my Dremel so I can use it like a Roto-Zip... Maybe I can try to do that pattern on Acrylic and if I can pull it off, like you said, use the colored kind. I'd really like to use chrome though to match the Harley theme. I'll give it a shot!

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Quicky update... *no pics*

I've finished modding up the crystal fans and have them installed. If you forgot, what I did was to purchase a few 80mm crystal fans that have the leds in the hub (blue ones) and attached 4 blue leds around the outside so they glow. I did test them and they came out real nice - I really should have taken a pic. Sorry! ;)

Next step...

Finding suitable conduit for power supply mod. The conduit will run vertically down the side of the drive cage and have the molex connectors attached. Can't explain what Im thinking too well, you'll see when it's done. Probably take a few days...

4. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

speaking of harley's check out what me and my dad painted, http://matt.after-efx.com its a harley 1200cc custom sportster, new teardrop tank, new seat, bars, pipes, front rim, everything is chrome except once peice which i am buying tom.

it has 9 different colors, it also has chameleon paint 00000hhhhh

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Niiiiice... I would give nearly anything to have a Harley. Problem is that I'm so friggin accident prone, I KNOW I would kill myself on one.

6. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

thats why my dad wont let me drive it :(

7. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Update - 5.3.03

Trying to figure out what to do with my cd-rom and cd-w/r/dvd, I decided to sand the hell out of it to see what would happen. Here's the results...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they came out pretty decent! They're not show pieces, but they've got the look of chrome and will look nice inside a case which has had its insides painted gloss black...

How I did it (if anyone cares)...

-- I disassembled the drive (duh - right?)
    -- Used a Makita palm sander with 600 grit sand-paper to remove the bulk of the greyness
    -- Then I hand-sanded with 1000 grit wet-dry sand-paper and got the rest of the grey off and it started to polish
    -- When all the grey was off, I used 1500 grit wet-dry paper and sanded out the marks left by the harsher paper.

I could probably polish it to a reflective shine, but I'm not sure I'm going to. Its going to be inside the case and most of it obstructed by the drive cage anyway. I'm hoping it'll reflect the cathodes nicely...

I'm hoping that tomarrow will be a nice day because I want to vinyl dye the drives then... If I do, I'll post pics of completed drives tomarrow night...

8. netpapa

netpapa What's a Dremel?

I don't know if you've decided on the final material for your spider webs, but today I thought that using (I don't know the real name for them) those metal wire round things that people put around their tomatoe plants would have nice consistant arcs. Plus they usually have multiple sizes of rings so I would think that one would be enough for both webs.
    Not sure how to shine them up, chrome is nice.

9. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

Lookin real good dude! I think I am going to use part of your technic on my visor docking station (make it shiney). Thanks for the instructions!:clap:

DeLorean5000

10. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

It's odd that you ask about the spider web. I was real bored last night so I gave it a shot using paper clips to see how it would come out. Here's the raw result...

[​IMG]

It's not sanded nor are the joints grinded down yet, so it should look nicer when I take my Dremel to it. :dremel:

All feedback appreciated! Does it suck? Is it the best thing since sliced bread?

Oh, I should add that the part that looks crooked is actually at a near 90º angle with the other piece. It just looks crooked in the pic.

11. netpapa

netpapa What's a Dremel?

It's sliced bread
    And the paper clips don't look ghetto

How sturdy is it?

12. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Well, I dropped it and one of the solder points broke :waah: but that's okay. it was just a trial run just to see how well it would work. Later on tonight or tomarrow I'll use a hotter iron and hopefully it'll hold better. Right now I have my cd-roms apart and just finished sanding them down and painting the face plates. Maybe tonight I'll have them put back togeather.

My biggest concern about the spider web thing is that the window in the case is rounded at the corner. It's a tight round, but I'm not 100% sure how the web thing will fit and how I'll mount it so you can't see the glue or whatever I end up using to fasten it...

13. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

:thumb: i like the webbing. as for mounting it, maybe glue it to the inside of the panel just outside the window using little extentions. get it? or do i need to draw a pic? :eyebrow:

14. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

No, I think I understand what you're talking about... I'll give that a shot. Will be one of the last things I do though.

Okay, more updates...

Live Drive done. I didn't take "before" pictures, but I assume that ya'll know what a Live Drive looks like.

After painting...
    [​IMG]

After I applied the dry transer letters...
    [​IMG]

Here's the painted drives installed back into my current system. Note that the case is painted with that Mirage paint...
    [​IMG]

I should mention that I mean that I used vinyl dye and not spray paint. The knobs on the Live Drive are going to be replaced with nice aluminum ones once I get a chance to get to Radio Shack...

15. the_modder

the_modder What's a Dremel?

Wow! This looks sweet :clap: :clap:

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Update: 5-6-03

Found a new toy to integrate into the beast. Can you guess what it is by this pic?

[​IMG]

It's a 7-band 8-level spectrum analyzer! It lights up like this...

red
    red
    yellow
    yellow
    yellow
    green
    green
    green

I pulled it from an under dash car booster/eq that had some blown power transistors. Don't have a want to fix it, so I pulled the analyzer part out of it, found out it took 12 volts and proceeded to hook it up to my computer. It LIVES! Only problem is that it seems to want a higher sound level than my Sound Blaster can output. I'm going to have to try and tweek it so it will accept a lower input...

If you're interestd, I captured a QuickTime movie with my camera. It's pretty big and I don't have the software to make it any smaller, so 56k people beware! It's about 4.3Mb, but here's the link...

Remember, it's about 4.3Mb!

The analyzer will be retrofitted into a 5.25" drive blank with case light switches and a small fanbus...

EDIT>>> Found if I put a 15k resistor in parralel with the limiting resistors with the volume peaked in Windows, the analyzer peaks and starts to clip. My thinking is that if I remove the resistors and put a 100k stereo pot inline with the output from the sound card and input to the analyzer, I *should* be able to adjust the levels manually from the front of the case. Problem is, I don't have enough room for the level control, the analyzer and 4 switches. What to do... what to do...

Last edited: 7 May 2003
  17. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Oh, and check out these switches I picked up today! It's difficult to tell in the pic, but they are toggle switches with a blue led at the end. The led kinda swamped the camera, so you can't see it too well though. I bought 2 of them: one for case lights and the other for the spectrum analyzer. If you're in the US, go to AutoZone, they have a whole BUNCH of switches like this along with rocker switches. You can buy both types with your choice of red, green or a blue led! God I love auto parts stores! :D

[​IMG]

18. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

the switch is a rockin find!... various forum members have been telling me to shop for stuffs at good autopart stores... time to go now... *me grabs hat and swings the door.

19. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Yea, illuminated switches, cold cathodes (and neon) in different sizes, chrome & anodized parts, cable sleeving / split loom, tons of stuff. When ever I go in and ask for help finding something, they ask me what make/model car I have and give me a very odd look when I tell them it's for my computer! :naughty:

20. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Got the analyzer working correctly! :D

[​IMG]

Next is to mount it in a drive blank... Sorry the pic is a little blurry, I haven't figured out how to use the macro / closeup feature of my camera yet...

Last edited: 8 May 2003