1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Harley --- Update 5/29 ... Done!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dad, 29 Apr 2003.

1. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

:rock: luv the analyzer and thats a nice arse switch ta boot :D dangit, i was at the auto parts store today and didnt browse for stuff :wallbash: :wallbash:

2. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Hey, could I take that out for a spin, Dad? :D :D

Looks very nice! I had *thought* about getting one of those cases for a mod job, seeing as they are not as expencive as a "normal name-brand case," but that thought lasted about 2 seconds max, as I don't have that kind of cash, and I need to upgrade my computer's insides a little more first (new hard drive, more ram, etc.)...

I love the paperclip idea, it is going to look great!

Good luck :thumb:

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

zackerouac: Ya always have to be on the lookout for stuff like that! The switch was only like 4 or 5 bucks, stop by and grab a few durring an outind in the car! ;)

Yo-DUH_87: The case wasn't expensive at all. If you buy it without a PSU, it's only about 60 bucks.

At first I was concerned about cutting the case up as I feared that I would mess something up and need to buy a whole new case. I called the US distributer and discussed what I was doing and asked about replacement parts and they will sell me any part off the case I need if I do in fact mess up a cut. I can get new drive blanks, front bezel, side panels, top panel, anything I need. That's the biggest reason I went with this case besides the looks. I really like the way the case looks.

4. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Yeah, it is very reasonable (if you get it without the window on the side it is only $50) ;)

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Actually I'm kinda ticked about when I bought the case... I bought it from Directron and 3 days later if I went to the company's website, they had a special on them. I could have gotten the case, PSU and 2 aluminum HDD racks for around $125. I should have waited and priced all my options. Oh well, live and learn! ;)

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Quickie update...

Finally found the time to build the analyzer/case light panel. You can see the analyzer mounted on the left (working :thumb: ). The switch next to it is the power for the analyzer and the 2nd switch will be for the case lights.

[​IMG]

This project is taking a LOT longer than expected! Nothing has been difficult, it's just that time is at a premium I guess. Maybe one of these days, weeks or months I'll be able to put the case togeather.

Next on the agenda...

1- label switches with dry-transfer lettering like I did with the LiveDrive and tidy up scratches made while cutting.

2- cut 3.5" fdd blanks and retro-fit a small 4x20 vfd which is being delivered. I should receive that in a few days.

3- cut front and side blow-holes.

4- final assembly

7. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Looking dam good!

I love the analyzer/case light panel!!

DDK

8. banished

banished Necromodder

Dad, I love that analyzer, wish I had me one. The entire project is looking great.

9. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

did u just "find" the analyzer.
    Where did u get it?

10. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Thanks. The only thing I don't care for with the panel is that blank space between the analyzer and the switches. I was going to put a potentiometer to adjust the analyzer levels, but didn't have the room to do so because part of the analyzer circut is behind that space. Any thoughts on what I can do to fill it in so it doesn't look so plain?

11. banished

banished Necromodder

How about a backlit (custom) case badge?

12. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

After I graduated high school (way back in 1986) I bought a Radio Shack 80 watt EQ/booster for my car as a graduation present for myself which had this analyzer in it. Over the years the power transistors fried and the unit died. While cleaning out a closet a few months back I came across it and decided since I really don't care about loud car stereos much anymore (and since my current head unit is already 45 watts x 4), I'd rip it apart to see if I could get the analyzer circutry to work without the rest of the unit. I found out that the circut was a seperate board with 4 wires leading to it - a 12 volt line, ground, left + and right +. When I hooked it up to a 12v supply, connected the left and right chanells and spliced the speaker ground to the psu ground, it worked! :thumb:

It's like I've said in other threads, cars use 12 volts, so an auto parts store is a great place to find modding goodies!

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Hum.... Might have to try that. Not to steady with a Dremel though, so I'm not sure how that would work out, but I like that idea...

14. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

looking good dad :thumb: i say go with the light up badge inbetween it. maybe cut out a square, then get some acrylic with a sticker on it to place over the hole. or something like that... :blah:

15. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

bump :D question, dad, when you painted the chassis did you prime it? if not, how is it holding up? chipping, scratching off? im looking to paint mine but i dont want to prime the ****** :rolleyes: thanks!

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Good timing! I was just going to update this log. To answer your question, I didn't paint the case. The main reason I bought this case is that it came with such a nice finish straight from the factory.

Okay, here's an update...

I have most of the case work done now:

Custom blow-hole mod with stealthed fan grill and custom led mod \/
    [​IMG]
    The picture doesn't do it justice! What I did was to take a plain-jane black fan, take it apart and paint the moving part with "chrome" paint. After I did this, I cut out little notches into the fan shroud (?) and hot-glued ultra bright 3mm blue leds facing inward. To get that redish glow in the middle I hot glued 4 red 3mm leds togeather in a bunch and attached them to the inside of the fan grill on the "alien's" head. The led wires are 24 gague and are glued behind the grill also. Sorry I didn't take step-by-step pics. Took nearly 2 nights to get it the way I wanted and highly reccomend doing it!

Backlit case badge mod \/
    [​IMG]
    I decided to take a little offshoot of the normal backlit case badge. I cut a tiny piece of acrylic, beveled its edges, glued a square red led to the back and attached the whole thing to a chrome "stand" which is attached to the case bottom.

I wanted to get a pic without the flash so you can see the badge mod better, but couldn't keep the camera completely steady. Here's the best I could so. \/
    [​IMG]
    It at least gives you an idea of what the case badge is like.

Here's the "beauty" shot with the flash. Here you can get a good look at how shiny the case itself is. Again, this is factory paint! \/
    [​IMG]

Final pic... With side panel & custom side blow-hole. I cracked the original window that was on the case and replaced it with a piece of Lexan. I *HIGHLY* reccomend Lexan! It's so easy to work with and when I cut and drilled it, it didn't crack or splinter! \/
    [​IMG]
    No flash - sorry about it being a little blurry...

I feel that I'm about 2 weeks from putting it all togeather and probably won't be able to work on it untill Tuesday, so I probably won't update untill the 28th or 29th...

Comments?

17. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

i meant the frame of the case, doh! :wallbash:

thats the best led fan ever! it looks like the alien has glowy eyes :clap: :rock:

it's coming along great, i can't wait to the vu meter in action :thumb: :D

18. Homer J

Homer J What's a Dremel?

That's a really sweeeet blow hole. :thumb:

I just love that fan grill, so much that I've been using it as template for my case vindow .....

[​IMG]

I just finished cutting the last part 2 days ago, didn't get a picture yet though.

19. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Zack: Ah, the chasis! I didn't realize that's what you were talking about untill I re-read it... To answer your question, no, I didn't prime it. I should have, but I didn't. It's funny about the scratching and stuff. Some places I've been having problems with and others are solid as a rock. However where ever I've gotten a scratch, I've just used a black Sharpie marker to cover it up. I figure that when it's all togeather I won't have any more problems.

Thanks man. Took a lot of work to get those wires hidden within the fan grill. I was actually trying to make it so it looked like it has glowey eyes! Only 2 things I wish were different though: The camera did a better job at capturing the red and I had brighter red leds. Those Radio Shack leds pretty much suck.

Niiiice! I love the idea! Are you going to be using those grill(s) too along with the window? I think I'd like to steal your idea for my next mod and backlight everything with green or red...

20. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

eh, communication breakdown :lol: screw it, im gonna paint my chassis/ frame without primer :worried:
    the fan is indeed bitchin. you might want to try putting your camera on a chair or something sturdy to get a better shot. we dont need no stinking tri-pods!

homer - nice window :thumb: