1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Project: Helios - Concept, Planning and Design

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Langer, 30 May 2010.

1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Oh I see now, but still I am concerned though. The air exhausting from the rads wont be cold and entering the psu will make it even hotter. I am a little confused I must say about the plans and airflow but still I am amazed and really want to learn more so keep me informed mate pls :)

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Fancy CF ducting is a surprise for later. ;)

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Think I'm going to watch this one!!

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Greetings, ;)

There's been a small change of plans... I'm having some custom super high-tech 0.25"thick carbon fiber panels made for this project, as opposed to the titanium as planned. I may still make one from Ti because the idea excites me, but the short term will not see that happening.

When the carbon arrives in a couple weeks, I'll begin cutting.
    For fun today I decided to throw together a prototype... at least that was the plans before it took me near 6hrs to make.
    It ended up taking a long time because the art framing board was really REALLY tricky to cut with a little type-A x-acto. this unfortunately also affected the bud quality as well... but im still fairly pleased.

I'll let the pics do the rest. I present the latest iteration made from Art Framing Board and Silicone Tape. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think? Leave a comment, let me know while there's still time to change plans before I begin cutting.

*j

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

The above wasn't my first attempt at fabricating this design in this method.

First I made a smaller iteration - 30%, whereas the above prototype is 40% scale - however lack of experience in working with the Framing board and attempts to glue the thing together lead to a failure.

As you'll see in the images below, at first I tried to make it in a printer friendly card-stock... but it was too flimsy and I didn't feel like laminating several sheets together. This would prove to me a mistake later on, lol.

I glued the cardtock pieces that I had printed and cut earlier to a sheet of Framing board. My intention was to use the printed pieces as guides, without realizing just how hard it is to cut Framing board... let along Framing board with an extra layer of cardstock and some hardened white-glue.

I'll share with you my first attempt nonetheless, it will still give some insight into my method and tools. ;)

Again, pictures talk:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take care, ;)

*j

6. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I glued the thing earlier this morning and left it to set by the window...

Next thing I remember, I found a can of hammer finish black spray paint; and gave the prototype fast a coat of paint.

Pics later: ;)

*j

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

For a prototype it still looks pretty awesome :thumb: :D.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's a very interesting design, especially as it's very adaptable to different materials (assuming they're of sufficient stiffness). I'm still somewhat worried about the exposed motherboard though. I understand that the design rules out a solid side panel entirely, and that a grill or mesh would ruin the case aesthetics (even if the front and rear slots were meshed too, it's just too large an area), but I can't shake the feeling that it's inviting disaster.
    The best thing I can think of is a cover inside the case that covers the motherboard components only, almost flat against it, with holes for the waterblocks and very tall components without exposed contacts. It won't protect much against spills, but that's a rare occurrence. It would protect against an errant paper clip or pen being flicked or bounced into the innards though, or similar accidents.
    But again, choice of material would be key. Acrylic would look out of place unless the whole case was made of it. Wood in a wood case might work.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Quit worrying about it, it'll be fine.

That amount of people running test benches with out issue is testament to the fact that you don't need a sealed box for your hardware.

Only if your a messy rat should you consider using a sealed case.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I had my rig running on my mobo box for 18 months before I put it in a case, no issues what so ever (besides a bit of dust).

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

[​IMG]

The high-grade composite panels required for construction of this project are being manufactured this week!

The panels in question are 16mm thick and composed of an astonishing 52layers. (The details of manufacturing will be released with the update... there's some CRAZY science and pressure involved to achieve the desired effect).

The panels are being made from an incredibly high grade of carbon usually reserved for military aerospace applications. In addition there are some other composite materials intermixed in the lay-up which will add some unique properties - but I don't want to say more and ruin the surprise.

I will have the panels in my hand in 2-3weeks, then I'll be sending them out for cutting straight away!

I'm elated that this is coming together as planned. I hope you will all enjoy the show, and if that's not reason enough for you, I plan on accompanying the commencement of Helios with an update on my PrometheusCU project as well.

Tune in soon for more...

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

A 'small' order today from McMaster - the necessary stainless steel hardware, fasteners, and misc. bits needed to assemble this project:
    [​IMG]
    I can feel the enormity of the cost of this project already...
    the parts to hold it together cost $1,180.03USD+tax and shipping.

The choice for stainless bumped up the cost considerably... but it's just too sexy to resist.

Now I'm just waiting on the composite panels that will compose the chassis to come in from California... I'm not even going to hint at how much the panels cost, and they need to be machined to spec still.

I still havent yet decided on the final hardware configuration, but I am sure it too will put a good dent in the old wallet.

*j

13. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

The depth of your planning details here are overwhelming.:jawdrop: And I LIKE IT.:thumb: Great ideas for model mock up to. This is just awesome. I like the design, reminds me of Japanese craft. Lighting will put this thing over the top. I will watch this one for sure. I've seen some aerospace grade CF panels ( pre-finished to order ) on the net, beautiful stuff. Look forward to your next post. :D

14. Akkatha

Akkatha *SCREECH!* /run away.

Yay more Langer mods! :clap:

The 'floating' mobo tray kinda reminds me of a watch I saw on Gizmodo a while back..... some inspiration perhaps?

[​IMG]

15. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@LooseNeutral - Thank you very much sir. The panels however won't be what you're used to. They wont have the usual weave aesthetic. They will look a like a sexier version of what you see in the pic below below. It's not entirely pleasing to the eye, so I modified the outer materials in the lay-up to make something a bit cooler. The texture in the surface was achieved by using a textured teflon in the pressing process - at the time I thought it looked badass, and it hid any minor surface imperfections.
    This image comes from my PrometheusCU log, I'm using this panel at the baseplate for that case.
    [​IMG]

@Akkatha - Thanks man, and WOW!!! That watch is absolutely stunning! I have a big fascination with fine time pieces, and that one just about takes the cake. I recently acquired my very first high-end [edit]well...high-end by my standards[/edit] watch after many moons of searching - The MIH Watch. I would love to go back to school and study watch making... one day.

*j

Last edited: 6 Sep 2010
  16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I saw this guy once on a Bit-Tech project who used that cardboard and black poster paper idea to simulate CF panels. It came out really well for him. Good luck!

john

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

:hehe:

:thumb: