1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project HellRaiser: the Atlantean Tetramorph... update 11-4-2010 mechanics

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Gup, 3 Mar 2010.

1. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

Time for some awsome modding!!

After finishing the pyramid project and the overwelming respons on it, it's time to do some new. The modding bug has hit me so....:rock::rock:

One of my favourite movie series is hellraiser. For it's time it's one of the gruesome movie series i have seen. The featured Cube "The BOX" in it is really a masterpiece. As i like this kinda stuff, i decided to make one including the movements.!!
    After pondering and sketching it didn't seem duable to make a box, due to the restriction in movement possible. Searching the web for info, i found a model based on the cube but in a tetra triangle shape.

This is the one i checked out.

So the idea is born!! This modding i will do again in coop with my wife as she had a few nice ideas for the outer skin.

First some drawings i made :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall dimensions are 21 x 21 x 21 cm.

Any smaller isn't possible due to the mechanics that have to be build.

As i have to make alot of small customized parts, I decided to first make a decent cnc machine....:D:D

Last edited: 11 Apr 2010
  2. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Make a CNC? perhaps I don't understand haha

3. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

So here is the result of building a cnc machine. I used a
    PROXXON MF70
    Alot of info is on the web for converting a MF70 to a cnc. Some usable some not. Alot of planning was needed and after 2 months i finshed the machine. (Perhaps i should make a separate project log for it). Anyway here are some pics of the converted machine :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Accuracy is about 0.05 mm.:D:D

Next will be some parts already milled.

4. Alexandros

Alexandros What's a Dremel?

If I understand what he's saying, he's referring to building his own CNC machine. Which is not really weird, especially not compared to that YT movie :p. Good luck with the build ;).

5. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

The top section is devided in 18 parts. For this i had to mill alot of acrylic (in total 108 pieces) . Due to the shape the angles needed to get them fit where different then a 45 degree angle ( 15,25,35 etc). Therefore i had to make a tilttable. (also made with the CNC). Nice thing this cnc-mill.

The tilt table :

[​IMG]

Milling the pieces :

[​IMG]

Some pics of the pieces :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assembled with tape :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next part will be glueing the pieces together.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2010
  6. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

It's time for an update!!

After finishing the top part of the Tetramorph. We glued the pieces together and added a rectangle tube in each piece. This is needed for stability. Due to the shape the point of gravity is way up and the pieces would fall of the middle part. A cube was choosen because with a round tube it still can swing horizontally.

Glued pieces with rectangular tube.
    [​IMG]

Part of the intended mechanics i had already in my mind :
    An up/down movement and rotary movement. For the up/down movement i decided to use a small dc-motor and for the rotary movement a smal stepper.

after a few trial and errors and some knowledge gained from the pyramid project, i made a test design.

Difficulty in this is finding the right parts due to the limited dimensions i can use.

I finally had to order the stepper motor in china. It's a 2 cm size stepper.
    Same goes for the dc-motor. Also a 2 cm motor with alot of torque due to the buildin transmission (1:136).

Mechanics test setup :

[​IMG]

Close up :

[​IMG]

To control both the dc-motor and the stepper i used some prefab boards from Sparcfun. These are SMD parts so the entire boards are really small. For the price you can't make it yourself.

The dc-motor and stepper motor driver :

[​IMG]

To control these i gonna use a microcontroller : a Teensy microcontroller.
    This need little board is comparable with an Arduino board, but at a very small size and programmable with USB.

The teensy board :

[​IMG]

Next time i make a vid for the test setup.

Thats it!

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Gup's at it again!
    You really stepped up the level this time. :D I like the bevel work you did. Crazy!

8. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

Brilliant!!!, thats going to be real insane!! :thumb:

9. Watchtown

Watchtown What's a Dremel?

What happened to this mod?.. loks very interesting though.

10. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

11. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Rest in peace Gup...